Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: How did you first come to this forum?
Brain&Force
Hazard to Lanthanides

Mood: Incommensurately modulated

[*] posted on 3-7-2014 at 18:29

NurdRage and MrHomeScientist. But Explosionsandfire (Tdep) was a big factor as well.

At the end of the day, simulating atoms doesn't beat working with the real things...
The Volatile Chemist
International Hazard

Mood: Copious

[*] posted on 3-7-2014 at 19:59

I used to search for home chemistry sites, but there didt seem to be many. First I ran into The Home Scientistt's vids. and blog, and he reffered me here. When I checked it out, it semmed old, unused, and scetchy. Then I ran into Bromic's site, Tim's site, and Woelen's site. I e-mailed all three and we chatted for a while. They alll reccomended this site. I finally fell in wwhen I had a question about double salts vs. complexes, and didn't want to bother anyone by emailing them anymore. I probably was the most reluctant to join, but now this is my 400th post!

Tdep
National Hazard

Mood: PhD is done! It isn't good but it's over lol

[*] posted on 3-7-2014 at 22:09

I was doing a project on making sodium/potassium metal at home for my final year of highschool.

Thinking I would get just a small amount of research into this, I stumbled onto this site where there was pages and pages of speculation and photographs and research and I was blown away that there were so many people who weren't just speculating the possible but actually going out and testing it.

I had to stop the project for legal reasons (no one else had this issue with their projects, but I ran into legal issues on 4 separate ideas!) but i've been on this site ever since.
The Volatile Chemist
International Hazard

[*] posted on 5-7-2014 at 05:55

That's great Tdep. The resources here are amazing!

woelen
Super Administrator

Member Is Online

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 5-7-2014 at 10:56

I was a member on a dutch chemistry forum (chemixtry.org) which now does not exist anymore (now we have amateurchemie.nl). One of the members from that forum was a member on sciencemadness as well (Taaie-Neuskoek) and he told me about sciencemadness. I checked out and since then (almost 10 years ago) I am an enthusiastic member of sciencemadness. Unfortunately Taaie-Neuskoek quit his hobby of home chemistry (he gave me quite a few of his chemicals) and also disappeared from the forums.

[Edited on 5-7-14 by woelen]

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
The Volatile Chemist
International Hazard

[*] posted on 5-7-2014 at 19:26

That's too bad. Did you know him personally?

woelen
Super Administrator

Member Is Online

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 6-7-2014 at 10:25

I met him personally a few times. He did not have any problems, he just quit doing home chemistry.

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
arkoma
Redneck Overlord

Mood: украї́нська

[*] posted on 6-7-2014 at 10:46

I was looking for info relating to a friend of mines schemes to electrolytically recover gold; got "sucked in" here, could give a damn about electrolytic gold now and eyeball every single plant i walk by now........

Since I joined, I've been blessed with tons of quality info, real lab gear, and a daggum new camera w00t w00t

"We believe the knowledge and cultural heritage of mankind should be accessible to all people around the world, regardless of their wealth, social status, nationality, citizenship, etc" z-lib

prof_genius
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 7-7-2014 at 03:39

I was browsing for chemistry info and found this forum, I new about this forum for months before I made an account.
Trevor9424
Harmless

Mood: Corroded

[*] posted on 29-5-2016 at 16:38

I discovered that this forum existed after trying to research how to obtain hydrochloric and sulfuric acid without having to purchase it. After a week or two of digging through threads here, I decided to join.
diddi
National Hazard

Mood: Fluorescent

[*] posted on 29-5-2016 at 17:14

I was googling chemistry of minerals, from memory... and curse you all, after rekindling my interest in the area I have spent bucket loads on glassware and new chems etc

Beginning construction of periodic table display
j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 29-5-2016 at 17:20

I blame MrHomeScientist. I found his YT channel looking for thermites. I was toying with the idea of building an element collection and had made a modest start. I had a couple of interactions on his blog and then read a link that took me here. Lurked for a month and then dived in (courtesy of some questions I had on a lanthanum product that I spotted OTC.)

Some 2000 posts later and I think I qualify as hooked. (And a whole lot more knowledgeable.)

aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 30-5-2016 at 04:28

I was assigned to sciencemadness by the regional commander.

BromicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Rock n' Roll

[*] posted on 30-5-2016 at 06:23

Old, but gives you a glimpse of the old-timers:

https://www.sciencemadness.org/whisper/viewthread.php?tid=86...

Shamelessly plugging my attempts at writing fiction: http://www.robvincent.org
Sulaiman
International Hazard

[*] posted on 30-5-2016 at 07:14

My main hobby interest was electronics,
I was slowly designing/building a ssb amateur radio transceiver in a 19" rack,
so slowly that components were becoming obsolete during the build,
and the copper cladding of my plain double-sided copper clad boards was corroding,
so just over two years ago I did a bit of research on tin plating,
now I too am trapped here :)

I really should get around to tin plating those boards one day :)

[Edited on 30-5-2016 by Sulaiman]
100PercentChemistry
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 30-5-2016 at 09:11

Saw someone on YouTube talking about it. Whenever I search xyz synthesis this comes up.
The Volatile Chemist
International Hazard

[*] posted on 3-6-2016 at 12:41

Interesting 'old timer' forum. Wish it was still so much a balls-to-the-walls forum. Perhaps the mods should take to kicking out people who don't contribute hard work. :) I'd be fine getting kicked out just to have a higher quality forum to read from...

karlos³
International Hazard

Mood: oxazolidinic 8)

[*] posted on 3-6-2016 at 13:19

For me, it was nearly identical to woelens coming, except that it was not "chemixtry.org", but instead for me it was one of the quality chemistry boards in my country, "lambdasyn.org", where someone was also a member here which made me come and check this forum out.
I was very impressed with it and did not build up the courage to post here(mainly because I thought my english will be bad for native speakers...) for over two years, but finally did it and never had any regrest :-)

Do not take this as an offense, but, how naive I had been, to think the ones who are only speaking english must be the most eloquent and well-articulated of all english speaking people :-D
The Volatile Chemist
International Hazard

[*] posted on 3-6-2016 at 13:25

Quote: Originally posted by karlos³  
For me, it was nearly identical to woelens coming, except that it was not "chemixtry.org", but instead for me it was one of the quality chemistry boards in my country, "lambdasyn.org", where someone was also a member here which made me come and check this forum out.
I was very impressed with it and did not build up the courage to post here(mainly because I thought my english will be bad for native speakers...) for over two years, but finally did it and never had any regrest :-)

Do not take this as an offense, but, how naive I had been, to think the ones who are only speaking english must be the most eloquent and well-articulated of all english speaking people :-D

Wow, that's quite the site. There are 5 German chem forums to every English one....makes me want to learn German more. That site is really nice. L-Arabinose from Acacia Gum?! Wow, great site.

aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 3-6-2016 at 15:30

Quote: Originally posted by The Volatile Chemist  
I'd be fine getting kicked out just to have a higher quality forum to read from...

This forum would be Less without you.

You under-value yourself and your presence here.

Edit:

... and your future posts about your Chemistry exploits will certainly make for good reading.

[Edited on 3-6-2016 by aga]

APO
National Hazard

Mood: Refluxing

[*] posted on 3-6-2016 at 20:19

Back in 2012, when I was 12 LOL, I would ask NurdRage about certain reactions; he politely referred me here.

Isolation of alkali metals was one of the very first things that interested me a lot.

"Damn it George! I told you not to drop me!"
pepe
Harmless

Mood: REEEEEEE

[*] posted on 5-6-2016 at 16:55

I honestly cant say when I found SM. In high school I was a terrible student of chemistry (something I look back on now with dissapointment) but around senior year I really developed my interest in it. This would be 2011. In my research I would often be referred here but didnt really get into the forum or keep it bookmarked until last year.

Its one of those sites that I have had a long relationship with but only really started being active on (not in the posting sense but more reading full threads and the like) for a short while.

To be honest I am kind of a forum junky. A good forum with intelligent people working towards something rather than detracting is one of the rarest most fantastic finds one can have. I have been a part of so many forums and a lot of them fail because people just want to shitpost. That is one thing I love about here is that you all have a good time but generally keep it on topic and not just posting nonsensical bs.

Sorry for the long post detailing my love of forums. I just really love this forum!
j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 5-6-2016 at 17:00

Have you had a previous incarnation here pepe? You have a post count of 3.

Geocachmaster
Hazard to Others

Mood: Corroded, just like my spatulas

[*] posted on 5-6-2016 at 17:18

I first discovered SM when I was looking for ways to make hydrochloric, sulfuric, and nitric acid, just for fun. I found some cool forums and SM became a goto for my basic chemistry questions. After a few months I decided to join so I could give my 2 cents. Then I forgot about it for a while and just today I started again.

[Edited on 6/6/2016 by Geocachmaster]
pepe
Harmless

Mood: REEEEEEE

[*] posted on 5-6-2016 at 17:36

Quote: Originally posted by j_sum1  
Have you had a previous incarnation here pepe? You have a post count of 3.

I did but I forgot the username and email. I hadnt posted from it much. It was probably from when I first found the site so its been years. Plus back then I didnt have any labware or anything "fun" so research was more my thing. I am usually content lurking but I have started wanting to get involved in discussion rather than just reading. Now that I have a small lab going I am definitely going to be more involved. Kinda disappointing I was too late to join in on the "Lab from 5 OTC items" challenge.
 Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top