Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Role of Zirconium Hydride in AN/Al Binary Explosives (Rifle Targets)
bb911gt4
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 14-4-2014 at 06:01
Role of Zirconium Hydride in AN/Al Binary Explosives (Rifle Targets)

Hey guys,
I was scanning through the Tannerite patent and saw that they use Zirconium Hydride mixed w/ the Al. What role does this play in the reaction? Is there anything I could use in place of this? It's pretty expensive. I could only find it for 60$/lb. Anyone know a cheaper source?
-Bruce
hyfalcon
International Hazard

[*] posted on 14-4-2014 at 06:12

I just use straight 5 micron spherical from http://alphachemicals.com/aluminum_powder . It's local so I call the order in and pick it up. Saves me a ton on shipping.

A mix of 95/5 AN/AL and a high powered rifle slug is all you need for the "Tannerite" experience.

[Edited on 14-4-2014 by hyfalcon]
Dany
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 14-4-2014 at 06:24

I'm impressed who U.S sell items like aluminium and other explosive precursors to ordinary civilian while on other side they claim fighting terrorism...irony at its best.

Dany.
Bert
Super Administrator
Thread Moved
14-4-2014 at 08:32
MineMan
National Hazard

[*] posted on 4-11-2016 at 18:17

All, the original question is of great interest to me. I know it must play an affect or Mr. tanner would not splurge on this expensive product?

Do hydrides sensitize more than the the pure metal powder? I am guessing so because they release hydrogen on decomp.

Go To Top