Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: UV Frequencies for photochemistry?
Electra
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 23-4-2014 at 09:13
UV Frequencies for photochemistry?

I'm going to be doing some photocatalyzed reactions soon and am looking into purchasing an adequate UV lamp. The lamps I am looking at emit light in the ranges of 315nm and upwards. Is this an adequate UV range for exciting various halide compounds? Most of these UV lights are either grow lights or lights for UV curing. I haven't found much information on the frequency ranges of excitation of various halides.

One other question, that may have been asked before...Can I just shine UV light into the solution, if the top is open, or even through the glass? I've seen many photochemical examples in which the light is immersed in the solution. Then again I've seen UV done in which the sunlight is utilized, albiet, sunlight is much more powerful than any lamp.

[Edited on 23-4-2014 by Electra]
Mildronate
Hazard to Others

Mood: Ruido sintetico

[*] posted on 23-4-2014 at 10:35

There is only one problem you need quartz glassware!
Electra
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 23-4-2014 at 11:17

The reactions I am running are going to be run at room temperature with an open top. I wouldn't need quartz glass if the light is shining directly on the reaction mixture, correct?

Even still, UV light should pass through normal glass, although some of it will be filtered. Many people have been sun-burned by sunlight radiating through the windshields of cars during long drives, and windshields are designed to filter light somewhat.

If I can just shine UV light on the top of the open stirring reaction, that would make life so much more simple.
Mildronate
Hazard to Others

Mood: Ruido sintetico

[*] posted on 23-4-2014 at 12:51

borsilicate absorb uv.
forgottenpassword
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 23-4-2014 at 13:03

You don't need quartz glass for 300nm and upwards. You will find a lot of good information here: http://www.google.com/url?q=http://www-oc.chemie.uni-regensb...
jwpa17
Harmless

[*] posted on 29-4-2014 at 17:57

I'm not sure how much interesting photochemistry you're going to do with wavelengths longer than 315 nm, but as forgottenpassword said, ordinary glass passes 300 nm and longer.
You can probably blast organo-iodides, and maybe bromides, but I doubt many organochlorides absorb significantly in that range.
Usually, one records the UV-visible absorption spectrum and irradiates at a wavelength corresponding to an absorption in the spectrum. That ensures that the energy is being delivered into the target molecule. And typically the higher the excitation energy used, the more "chemistry" the excited species does.
You should give some thought to how you're going to characterize the product(s) of your photochemical reactions.
Texium
Administrator
Thread Moved
21-11-2023 at 13:54

Go To Top