Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Handling Redox Equations
Mildronate
Hazard to Others

Mood: Ruido sintetico

[*] posted on 3-5-2014 at 12:55

For solubility you look at solubility costants in handbook not in wiki, ok sometimes wiki is faster :D
CHRIS25
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 3-5-2014 at 13:25

Ok so I googled solubility constants, and great, there is a ton of data...only problem now is that I have to learn what on earth all those strange alien numbers mean, my brain is already twice the size as it was yesterday....

‘Calcination… is such a Separation of Bodies by Fire, as makes ‘em easily reducible into Powder; and for that reason ‘tis call’d by some Chymical Pulverization.’ (John Friend, Chymical Lectures London, 1712)

Right is right, even if everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it. (William Penn 1644-1718)

The very nature of Random, Chance development precludes the existence of Order - strange that our organic and inorganic world is so well defined by precision and law. (me)
blogfast25
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 4-5-2014 at 04:45

For AgCl I find a value for Ksp = [Ag<sup>+</sup>] x [Cl<sup>-</sup>] = 1.77 x 10<sup>-10</sup> (= 0.000000000177).

What does this mean? If in a solution the PRODUCT of [Ag<sup>+</sup>] and [Cl<sup>-</sup>] exceeds 1.77 x 10<sup>-10</sup>, the AgCl will start precipitating.

If you take some solid AgCl and allow it to dissolve in water, the maximum concentration is governed by the Ksp.

Since as AgCl(s) < === > Ag<sup>+</sup>(aq) + Cl<sup>-</sup>(aq), this also means that in such a solution [Ag<sup>+</sup>] = [Cl<sup>-</sup>], so we have:

Ksp = [Ag<sup>+</sup>] x [Cl<sup>-</sup>] = [Ag<sup>+</sup>]<sup>2</sup> = 1.77 x 10<sup>-10</sup>

It follows that [Ag<sup>+</sup>] = SQRT (1.77 x 10<sup>-10</sup>;) = 1.33 x 10<sup>-5</sup> M or 0.0000133 M is the theoretical maximum solubility of AgCl in pure water. We call that 'insoluble' but there is some AgCl in solution, just not very much...

It also explains why when you add a bit of silver nitrate solution to a solution that contains some chloride you get a precipitation of AgCl, a classic test for chloride ions.

Brain + 10 % size, now reaching explosion limit. :o

[Edited on 4-5-2014 by blogfast25]

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top