Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Making an extremely fine powder
Steam
Hazard to Others

Mood: Triple Point

[*] posted on 3-5-2014 at 15:20
Making an extremely fine powder

Ok, so a friend hit me with this question and I have no idea how to answer it. So my friend wishes to make powdered goat milk (don't ask me why), but he wants in a very fine powder. He says he needs it at approx. 80 mesh but he would prefer 100 mesh. The first thing I thought was to dehydrate the milk under vacuum and then put the flakes through a food processor and then through a motor and pestle. I would have to do this because apparently when this milk is dehydrated it forms the very hard crispy flakes. It has the hardness of peanut brittle. I figured the grinding would take care of this...
Then I saw what 100 mesh looks like...*shivers*...
I went back and showed him how fine 100 mesh was and asked him if he really needed it that fine. His answer was yes and I was told he would make it worth my time if I had his product by the end of the month. $$$

Unfortunately this doesn't help me in any way, and I am at a total loss for how I would do this. Currently I have two ideas of how this can be done.
A) Put in some serious elbow grease and grind the milk powder till the cows come home. *pun intended* Possibly there could be a machine which will do this for me?

B) Build some sort of drum dryer, or something mentioned in this old form. http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=14363

Any help would be appreciated!

DISCLAIMER: The information in this post is provided for general informational purposes only and may not reflect the current law in your jurisdiction. No information contained in this post should be construed as legal advice from the individual author, nor is it intended to be a substitute for legal counsel on any subject matter. No reader of this post should act or refrain from acting on the basis of any information included in, or accessible through, this post without seeking the appropriate legal or other professional advice on the particular facts and circumstances at issue from a lawyer licensed in the recipient’s state, country or other appropriate licensing jurisdiction.
BobD1001
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 3-5-2014 at 15:39

I believe vacuum dehydration will be a good choice followed by ball milling with stainless steel media. You can build a ball mill quite easily. Here is a great book which describes how to easily build a very functional ball mill: http://www.rocketsaway.com/pyrotechnics_ball_mill_theory_spo... I paid over $40 for the softcover version, not realizing it was available as a PDF.
WGTR
National Hazard

Mood: Outline

[*] posted on 3-5-2014 at 16:54

You could try freeze-drying it to see what happens. The quicker it is frozen, the better. Most of the time the original structure of the object is maintained, leaving it with very low density. Such a structure may be easier to grind to a powder than dense flakes.
hyfalcon
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 3-5-2014 at 17:01

100 mesh can be achieved with just a blender after the product is dry. I do all my clumped chemicals that way to get them to fit through a 100 mesh screen.
Zyklon-A
International Hazard

Mood: Fluorine radical

[*] posted on 3-5-2014 at 17:14

hyfalcon, yep, that's what I'd suggest.
This should probably be merged with this.

Steam
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 3-5-2014 at 20:02

Quote: Originally posted by hyfalcon  
100 mesh can be achieved with just a blender after the product is dry. I do all my clumped chemicals that way to get them to fit through a 100 mesh screen.

Will the normal milkshake blender be able to pulverize something to 100 mesh size?

DISCLAIMER: The information in this post is provided for general informational purposes only and may not reflect the current law in your jurisdiction. No information contained in this post should be construed as legal advice from the individual author, nor is it intended to be a substitute for legal counsel on any subject matter. No reader of this post should act or refrain from acting on the basis of any information included in, or accessible through, this post without seeking the appropriate legal or other professional advice on the particular facts and circumstances at issue from a lawyer licensed in the recipient’s state, country or other appropriate licensing jurisdiction.
Bert
Super Administrator

Mood: " I think we are all going to die. I think that love is an illusion. We are flawed, my darling".

[*] posted on 3-5-2014 at 23:43

If your friend's "goats" can afford the very be$t, they might want to run their milk through a jet mill...

http://solidswiki.com/index.php?title=Jet_Mills#section_2

Rapopart’s Rules for critical commentary:

1. Attempt to re-express your target’s position so clearly, vividly and fairly that your target says: “Thanks, I wish I’d thought of putting it that way.”
2. List any points of agreement (especially if they are not matters of general or widespread agreement).
3. Mention anything you have learned from your target.
4. Only then are you permitted to say so much as a word of rebuttal or criticism.

Anatol Rapoport was a Russian-born American mathematical psychologist (1911-2007).

Steam
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 5-5-2014 at 11:52

No the blender worked fine, just had to run it through it for a while. I figured out what he is making. He is apparently making his own lip ointment.

aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 7-5-2014 at 14:14

ISTR that for making really fine, and really pure powders, you can stick them in a sphere of unreactive metal (probably SS in this case) and bash them up with compressed air.

The Angles of the air streams are important, so as to not just blast the Product out of the sphere (vortices etc).

The idea is to make the bits of the substance bash against themselves, rather than against lead balls, stone wheels etc, so that you get a really really fine powder with 0 impurities, such as lead, or stone.

Ah. That's a Jet mill.
Sorry, but when i heard it described in a pub in Sheffield, England, it had no name back then.

[Edited on 7-5-2014 by aga]

Go To Top