Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Easiest Way to Open Batteries for Parts
numos
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 10-5-2014 at 18:45
Easiest Way to Open Batteries for Parts

There are plenty of threads on here on the useful components of batteries, however it seems that most of the techniques of actually getting to the chemicals are painfully slow, messy, or dangerous.

So I thought I would share my way, in which I can completely strip a battery in under two minutes. All batteries are more or less built the same way - a tall metal "can" filled with battery stuffs, then a lid (usually the cathode) with electrode is clamped on the open end.

Most people peel the battery (the plastic with all the info), then pry open the lid, and then scoop everything out of the can... Here is my way:

A note of caution: I've done this with alkaline batteries, I do not know how safe this is with other types of batteries For the pictures I did it to a half empty C cell.

Clamp the battery on a vice, anode facing outward (Image 1). Using a hacksaw slice as close to the anode as possible (Image 2). Then slice across the battery, it may help to start with an angle from the cathode side (Image 3).

Remove the battery from the vice, and now try to pry off the cathode, as the sides are no longer clamping it down, it should pry right off (Image 4).

Finally using a flathead screwdriver slightly pry open the sides of the can, then grab with fingers (gloved hopefully!!) and pry it completely open, the entire inside can now be slid out of the anode (Image 5)[there is even an arrow telling you what direction if you forget :P) and retains the shape of a cylinder.

From here on is only for alkalines:

Now you can give the inside a slight squeeze and the MnO2 comes off in big chunks, allowing you to very cleanly separate from the other half of the battery. (Image 6)

WP_20140510_001.jpg - 44kB WP_20140510_002.jpg - 52kB WP_20140510_003.jpg - 60kB WP_20140510_004.jpg - 44kB WP_20140510_005.jpg - 86kB WP_20140510_006.jpg - 165kB

For those of you saying it can explode: I've done this many many times with alkalines, the most that's ever happened is that it became warm, not hot, warm. Still wear gloves and a face shield and you should be fine.

[Edited on 5-11-2014 by numos]

Texium
Administrator

Mood: PhD candidate!

[*] posted on 10-5-2014 at 19:12

Nice tutorial!
I open them quite similar actually, but I use a hack saw to cut off the cathode end, and then take out the zinc, and once that's done, smash the can with a hammer to pulverize the manganese dioxide because in the ones I have it was all one solid mass. One thing I'm trying to figure out now is what to do with the zinc, and how to remove the jelly that it's suspended in...
numos
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 10-5-2014 at 19:28

Is the jelly zinc oxide? My understanding is that the interior is zinc oxide and zinc powder, (ratios depending if full or empty) I have no clue how to separate them...

Zn(s) + 2MnO2(s) is in equilibrium with ZnO(s) + Mn2O3(s) [e° = 1.43 V]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alkaline_battery

blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 11-5-2014 at 05:27

More interesting would be a good method for the opening on lithium (metal) batteries to extract the metal, they are a real pain. None of the tutorials on that make it very easy.

Texium
Administrator

Mood: PhD candidate!

[*] posted on 11-5-2014 at 06:06

Quote: Originally posted by numos  
Is the jelly zinc oxide? My understanding is that the interior is zinc oxide and zinc powder, (ratios depending if full or empty) I have no clue how to separate them...

Zn(s) + 2MnO2(s) is in equilibrium with ZnO(s) + Mn2O3(s) [e° = 1.43 V]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alkaline_battery

That's why you always take apart unused ones! :P
Or I guess you could use a dead one if you were specifically trying to get ZnO and Mn2O3.
Illusionist
Harmless

[*] posted on 11-5-2014 at 06:07

Tought of an easier way to open those batteries:

If you have access to a lathe you could precisely make a circular cut in the casing.
Then you stop the lathe, expand the quill chuck it lightly
on the lithium battery inner assembly and retract the quill pulling the good stuff out.

For an alkaline battery just cut both ends.Leave the battery in the chuck but place a container behind it since we will chuck a rod in the quill and press the battery content towards it.

A drill with a suitably sized chuck could also do the trick with a chisel or sharp implement to cut the casing.

[Edited on 11-5-2014 by Illusionist]
blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 11-5-2014 at 06:11

And all this without shorting it!

Bert
Super Administrator

Mood: " I think we are all going to die. I think that love is an illusion. We are flawed, my darling".

[*] posted on 11-5-2014 at 06:22

Use a copper pipe cutter to score the outside cladding in a controlled fashion.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0006BFP7Q/ref=mp_s_a_1_22?qid...

Rapopart’s Rules for critical commentary:

1. Attempt to re-express your target’s position so clearly, vividly and fairly that your target says: “Thanks, I wish I’d thought of putting it that way.”
2. List any points of agreement (especially if they are not matters of general or widespread agreement).
3. Mention anything you have learned from your target.
4. Only then are you permitted to say so much as a word of rebuttal or criticism.

Anatol Rapoport was a Russian-born American mathematical psychologist (1911-2007).

Illusionist
Harmless

[*] posted on 11-5-2014 at 06:29

If you use a carbide cutter, and a rod made of a non conductive material shorting probability should be reduced.

Going slowly, i am pretty sure i could get it done.
Surely i would cover the bed and metal parts to protect them from chemicals have my fume extractor over the whole operation.

I would of course be wearing a full face mask, and probably thin nitrile gloves and a tyvek suit in regard to those having less mechanical resistance (in case they get caught in the lathe)

Great idea Bert for the pipe cutter, probably a lot safer than having a battery spinning around.

[Edited on 11-5-2014 by Illusionist]
Dan Vizine
National Hazard

Mood: High Resistance

[*] posted on 11-5-2014 at 07:43

Quote: Originally posted by blogfast25  
More interesting would be a good method for the opening on lithium (metal) batteries to extract the metal, they are a real pain. None of the tutorials on that make it very easy.

I've always viewed this exercise as being of questionable worth because of the "equilibrium"....

New Li batteries are expensive, if you open them you get nice sheets of paper thin lithium metal at a high cost/gram.

If you open old batteries, what you find is that the metal is mostly consumed to leave an empty fragile scaffold with patchy areas of very thin lithium metal. For safety as well as for cost, lithium batteries don't contain any extra lithium above and beyond that needed.

At least, this was my limited experience here in the US. Does the UK have restrictions on simply buying lithium on eBay? This is both cheaper and way easier.
blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 11-5-2014 at 08:42

Quote: Originally posted by Dan Vizine  

At least, this was my limited experience here in the US. Does the UK have restrictions on simply buying lithium on eBay? This is both cheaper and way easier.

No, I've seen it advertised.

@Bert: have you tried that cutter? The steel casing is fairly thick gauge and the cutter is for copper.

[Edited on 11-5-2014 by blogfast25]

thesmug
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 11-5-2014 at 08:46

I know you weren't asking me but I've tried that before and it works fine. It might take some effort but you'll be able to open them. It does depend on the cutter itself so choose wisely.

Good eyes
Bert
Super Administrator

Mood: " I think we are all going to die. I think that love is an illusion. We are flawed, my darling".

[*] posted on 11-5-2014 at 08:48

Quote: Originally posted by blogfast25  

@Bert: have you tried that cutter? The steel casing is fairly thick gauge and the cutter is for copper.

The cutter is quite hard steel, I have regularly used the same type of cutter (made by "Ridgid") to cut EMT (mild steel electrical conduit). I have even cut 3/4" black Iron water pipe in a pinch without destroying the tool, but don't recommend it. There's a slightly heftier version intended for Iron pipe.

Rapopart’s Rules for critical commentary:

1. Attempt to re-express your target’s position so clearly, vividly and fairly that your target says: “Thanks, I wish I’d thought of putting it that way.”
2. List any points of agreement (especially if they are not matters of general or widespread agreement).
3. Mention anything you have learned from your target.
4. Only then are you permitted to say so much as a word of rebuttal or criticism.

Anatol Rapoport was a Russian-born American mathematical psychologist (1911-2007).

numos
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 11-5-2014 at 09:05

Quote: Originally posted by Illusionist  

If you have access to a lathe you could precisely make a circular cut in the casing.

I highly suggest you don't try this. Haven't looked at too many lithium batteries (because like mentioned the price is not economical for what you get) but the way I see it, once you get through the metal casing, it will have lost support and the battery will be ripped off and flung into oblivion... Unless you mean a metal lathe where you can fasten both sides?

But then if you can afford that, you should be able to buy lithium. :)

[Edited on 5-12-2014 by numos]

blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 11-5-2014 at 09:19

Quote: Originally posted by thesmug  
I know you weren't asking me but I've tried that before and it works fine. It might take some effort but you'll be able to open them. It does depend on the cutter itself so choose wisely.

The question is not whether one can open them or not but how to open them easily and without shorting. I've opened them with nothing more than a pair of pliers and that works but it takes time.

Cleanly cutting off either end w/o shorting, that's the quest! Then removing the inside assembly should be easy, if you haven't distorted the rest of the inner steel casing too much.

thesmug
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 11-5-2014 at 09:22

The cutters will work without shorting (unless you really mess something up) and cut fairly easily. I'd say it takes about 2-3 minutes. Maybe 1 if you really press hard.

Good eyes
blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 11-5-2014 at 09:51

Quote: Originally posted by thesmug  
The cutters will work without shorting (unless you really mess something up) and cut fairly easily. I'd say it takes about 2-3 minutes. Maybe 1 if you really press hard.

Cutting at what end?

Go To Top