Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Thiosulfate Complex
The Volatile Chemist
International Hazard

Mood: Copious

[*] posted on 19-5-2014 at 18:36
Thiosulfate Complex

Simple question, does thiosulfate complex, and if so, how easily does it happen?

thesmug
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 19-5-2014 at 18:57

I believe it does. If it does, it is probably fairly easy but I'll have to check in detail in a little while.

Good eyes
DraconicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Semi-victorious.

[*] posted on 19-5-2014 at 21:54

I know it forms a complex with silver, but I don't know about other ions off the top of my head.

Actually, Lang's Handbook gives formation constants for complexes of thiosulphate with cadmium, copper(I), iron(III), lead, mercury(II) and silver.

Please remember: "Filtrate" is not a verb.
Write up your lab reports the way your instructor wants them, not the way your ex-instructor wants them.
sasan
Hazard to Self

Mood: Radiative

[*] posted on 19-5-2014 at 22:20

Go to this address:(http://woelen.homescience.net/science/chem/exps/exppatt.cgi?...) search for sodium thiosulfate there is 14 experiments for this compound
like cyanide ion thiosulfate make a strong complex with gold1+ ions,there is a complex with silver too,silver oxide and halides dissolve in thoisulfate
Fe3+ make a purplish complex with it but readily reduced to Fe2+.
Cu2+ also make complexes with thiosulfate that it is complicated because it is highly depends on the condition of the reaction(temprature,concentration,pH,the starting faze:I mean combination of the Cu2+ and thiosulfate solution or pouring water into the mixture of sodium thiosulfate and copper salt)
thiosulfate and cyanide ion make complexes with most of transition metal ions
sorry for bad language
The Volatile Chemist
International Hazard

[*] posted on 20-5-2014 at 06:56

Quote: Originally posted by sasan  

Go to this address:(http://woelen.homescience.net/science/chem/exps/exppatt.cgi?...) search for sodium thiosulfate there is 14 experiments for this compound
like cyanide ion thiosulfate make a strong complex with gold1+ ions,there is a complex with silver too,silver oxide and halides dissolve in thoisulfate
Fe3+ make a purplish complex with it but readily reduced to Fe2+.
Cu2+ also make complexes with thiosulfate that it is complicated because it is highly depends on the condition of the reaction(temprature,concentration,pH,the starting faze:I mean combination of the Cu2+ and thiosulfate solution or pouring water into the mixture of sodium thiosulfate and copper salt)
thiosulfate and cyanide ion make complexes with most of transition metal ions
sorry for bad language

Thanks, I apologise for not looking it up. I made the Ferric (II) or (III) complex, it's very pretty. If anyone wants to see the video, I can upload it to youtube. I really liked the reaction. Give me a chance to look it up in my notes, and I'll post it here.

CHRIS25
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 20-5-2014 at 07:36

In case you are interested? just in case....you can get some great colour on copper via silver and thiosulphate, it plates it silver (not with the same quality as electro-chemically since I have done both), but with shades of dull yellow to a silvery yellow to silver lustre that can then be rubbed to achieve nice decorative stuff. A nice patination.

‘Calcination… is such a Separation of Bodies by Fire, as makes ‘em easily reducible into Powder; and for that reason ‘tis call’d by some Chymical Pulverization.’ (John Friend, Chymical Lectures London, 1712)

Right is right, even if everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it. (William Penn 1644-1718)

The very nature of Random, Chance development precludes the existence of Order - strange that our organic and inorganic world is so well defined by precision and law. (me)
The Volatile Chemist
International Hazard

[*] posted on 20-5-2014 at 09:26

Quote: Originally posted by CHRIS25  
In case you are interested? just in case....you can get some great colour on copper via silver and thiosulphate, it plates it silver (not with the same quality as electro-chemically since I have done both), but with shades of dull yellow to a silvery yellow to silver lustre that can then be rubbed to achieve nice decorative stuff. A nice patination.

Interesting! I ran out of Sodium Thiosulfate making a video of an Iron Thiosulfate Complex. I assume there are no easy ways to make it...?

sasan
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 21-5-2014 at 05:48

Beside these,there is a thiosulfate complex with lead,at first combine the solutions of lead nitrate or acetate and sodium thiosulfate in stochiometric amounts to obtain lead thiosulfate precipitate.collect the precipitate,wash it few times to,then pour it to another beaker,add water add sodium thiosulfate in small portions till all of lead thoisulfate dissolves.there is near colorless solution of sodium thiosulfato plumbate.let it to dry to obtain your new compound(it is just a procedure I have read it somewhere but I'm sure it must be work),be advised that both of lead thiosulfate and thiosulfatoplumbate are unstable and decompose in high temperatures even at bp of water 100,so do not boil down the solution
watch here for more information about copper and sodium thiosulfate comlexes:http://www.crscientific.com/article-redox3.html

The Volatile Chemist
International Hazard

[*] posted on 21-5-2014 at 06:52

Quote: Originally posted by sasan  

Beside these,there is a thiosulfate complex with lead,at first combine the solutions of lead nitrate or acetate and sodium thiosulfate in stochiometric amounts to obtain lead thiosulfate precipitate.collect the precipitate,wash it few times to,then pour it to another beaker,add water add sodium thiosulfate in small portions till all of lead thoisulfate dissolves.there is near colorless solution of sodium thiosulfato plumbate.let it to dry to obtain your new compound(it is just a procedure I have read it somewhere but I'm sure it must be work),be advised that both of lead thiosulfate and thiosulfatoplumbate are unstable and decompose in high temperatures even at bp of water 100,so do not boil down the solution
watch here for more information about copper and sodium thiosulfate comlexes:http://www.crscientific.com/article-redox3.html

Thanks! I'll try it once I get some thiosulfate!

sasan
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 21-5-2014 at 22:35

And the easiest method for making yellowish cuprous oxide using sodium thiosulfate::
2CuO + Na2S2O4 + 2NaOH = Cu2O + 2Na2SO3 + H2O

Go To Top