Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Ferricyanide stuff
NexusDNA
Hazard to Others

Mood: Liberated from cocoon

[*] posted on 22-5-2014 at 16:53
Ferricyanide stuff

Hello! I have some potassium ferricyanide lying about. Are there any twinkly experiments/syntheses you recommend? I've already done "printing" with prussian blue.

On another note, i wanted to reduce some of the ferricyanide to ferrocyanide. I know that latter is oxidized by chlorine gas to ferricyanide, so I have two questions:
1. How does the reaction with chlorine take place without changing the Fe-CN bonds?
2. How could I reverse it to make ferrocyanide?

Thanks! :D
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 22-5-2014 at 22:49

1) The reaction is a simple electron transfer reaction. There is no need for structural change. The electron will pass from the ferrous core through one of the CN(-) ligands and rearrangement of charge makes it a ferricyanide ion.

2) Many reductors are capable of transforming it to ferrocyanide (e.g. SO2, metal powders), but isolating the ferrocyanide will not be easy. I would try it with SO2. Bubble the SO2 through a solution of K3Fe(CN)6. It will be oxidized to H2SO4. The liquid will become acidic. In this way you introduce a minimum of foreign ions from which the material has to be separated.

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
sasan
Hazard to Self

Mood: Radiative

[*] posted on 22-5-2014 at 23:41

Last night I tried to make some potassium nitroprusside::

5 KCN + 2 FeSO4 + KNO2 + H2O ==>potassium nitroprsside+ 2Fe(OH)2 + 2K2SO4

I dont know if it is right or not,this method is from iron.atomistry.com

Nitroprusside is reddish orange but after filtaration the precipitates I got a dark greenish blue precipitate(comparing to the color of iron hydroxides) and a light yellowish solution.is this potassium nitroprusside solution or pottassium ferrocyanide?? The ferrocyanide color is light yellow.but ntroprusside is reddish orange.please post your suggestions.
bismuthate
National Hazard

Mood: self reacting

[*] posted on 23-5-2014 at 02:28

Add it to copper (II) solution to get a red precipitate. Also woelen, wouldn't H2SO4 react with ferrocyanide and in a dangerous way at that?

I'm not a liar, I'm just an enthusiastic celebrant of opposite day.
I post pictures of chemistry on instagram as bismuthate. http://iconosquare.com/bismuthate
or this viewer if you don't have an instagram (it sucks though) http://web.stagram.com/n/bismuthate
blogfast25
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 23-5-2014 at 05:04

Quote: Originally posted by bismuthate  
Add it to copper (II) solution to get a red precipitate. Also woelen, wouldn't H2SO4 react with ferrocyanide and in a dangerous way at that?

If you're hinting at hydrogen cyanide, it would require high concentrations of acid to liberate that gas from ferro/ferricyanides because these are very strong complexes (very high complexation constant). For instance ferricyanide (more correctly hexacyano ferrate (III)) does not show typical reactions of the ferric ion: add some ammonia to the solution and no ferric hydroxide precipitates. Going by the extraordinary insolubility of ferric hydroxide that's a remarkable testament to the complex's strength.

NexusDNA
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 25-5-2014 at 10:00

Thanks for the replies. So the suggestion is to do it with a substance that will transfer electrons to the iron without polluting the solution with ions.

With SO2, the stoichiometry will be 1:2 SO2 to K3Fe(CN)6, right? Should I do it with a slight excess of SO2? H2O2 will help? I'll try it in small scale when I have a generator.
blogfast25
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 25-5-2014 at 13:03

Quote: Originally posted by NexusDNA  
H2O2 will help? I'll try it in small scale when I have a generator.

How will it help?

Brain&Force
Hazard to Lanthanides

Mood: Incommensurately modulated

[*] posted on 25-5-2014 at 20:31

I'm just spitballing here, but would potassium sulfite work as a reducer?

At the end of the day, simulating atoms doesn't beat working with the real things...
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 25-5-2014 at 23:16

@NexusDNA: I would use excess of SO2. The amount which is not used can easily be driven off by heating the solution for a while.

@Brain&Force: Potassium sulfite as a reductor may work as well. You should indeed use potassium sulfite and not sodium sulfite in order to avoid the introduction of new ions, from which the wanted K4Fe(CN)6 must be separated. Sulfite ion is less reactive than SO2, so you should try this reaction before mixing large amounts of chemicals, but I can imagine that it will work, especially if helped a little bit by heating the solution. You can see whether it works or not by fading of the color of the solution of K3Fe(CN)6 from deep yellow to pale yellow.

With K2SO3 you get just the right amount of potassium ions in the solution. The solution will become weakly acidic. Again, use a slight excess of K2SO3. K2SO3 may be hard to get. In that case, use K2S2O5 (potassium metabisulfite), which is easy to find in brewery and wine making shops.

[Edited on 26-5-14 by woelen]

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
NexusDNA
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 26-5-2014 at 10:47

Quote: Originally posted by blogfast25  
Quote: Originally posted by NexusDNA  
H2O2 will help? I'll try it in small scale when I have a generator.

How will it help?

I really don't remember how I got to this conclusion. I guess alcohol doesn't help calculating redox. :P

As I don't have access to potassium metabisulfite, I'll be using the sodium analogue + HCl as a SO2 generator. It should work just fine!
The Volatile Chemist
International Hazard

Mood: Copious

[*] posted on 26-5-2014 at 13:48

Does anyone know of any interesting reactions with hexacyanoferrate (II) and (III)? I have way too much of both, but I've already produced a lot of hexacyanoferrate salts, anything else I can do with them?

gdflp
Super Moderator

Mood: Staring at code

[*] posted on 26-5-2014 at 13:56

If your interested in a synthesis, sodium nitroprusside is an interesting compound. There are two routes, one with nitric acid and sodium carbonate, the other uses barium chloride, sodium chloride(If using potassium salt), sodium nitrite, and carbon dioxide. Personally I prefer the first one, much easier and bubbling CO2 through the mixture for hours is a pain.
NexusDNA
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 26-5-2014 at 16:18

Quote: Originally posted by The Volatile Chemist  
Does anyone know of any interesting reactions with hexacyanoferrate (II) and (III)? I have way too much of both, but I've already produced a lot of hexacyanoferrate salts, anything else I can do with them?

As I already commented, "printing" with prussian blue is nice and relatively safe. You'll only need a Fe(III) salt, oxalic acid and K3Fe(CN)6.

[Fe(C2O4)3]3- →hv→ [Fe(C2O4)2]2- + 2 CO2

This reaction only happens in the presence of light, so if you use a negative you can "print" the photo onto paper or even a shirt (I have yet to try this last one). This paper shows some of the idea: http://firstyear.chem.usyd.edu.au/LabManual/E02.pdf
The Volatile Chemist
International Hazard

Mood: Copious

[*] posted on 26-5-2014 at 17:48

I'd already tried it, but I enjoy the reaction.
It's so messy though...:)

Go To Top