Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: 2-(4-hydroxy-3-methoxy-phenyl)-nitroethene/Vanillin nitrostyrene
Crowfjord
Hazard to Others

Mood: Ever so slowly crystallizing...

[*] posted on 7-6-2014 at 13:56
2-(4-hydroxy-3-methoxy-phenyl)-nitroethene/Vanillin nitrostyrene

The nitrosyrene resulting from condensation of vanillin (4-hydroxy-3-methoxy-benzaldehyde) and nitromethane was prepared in modest yield (54% based on vanillin. This is a fairly easy synthesis with great aesthetic appeal, and in my opinion would make a great experiment for those just beginning in organic chemistry, provided the materials can be acquired (probably the most difficult part). The product also can function as an acid/base indicator1.

10 g vanillin, 3.4 mL* nitromethane, and just enough methanol (MeOH) to dissolve all vanillin (~10 mL) were added to a half-pint canning jar and swirled to mix. The jar was placed on a scale which was tared, and 0.50 g n-butylamine was added. The solution immediately turned yellow, then quickly to red. The jar was capped and swirled again to ensure proper mixing (pic 1).

After sitting at ambient temperature for about 1-2 hours the solution had turned to a solid red mass (pic 2). This was broken up, 5 mL MeOH added, then vacuum filtered on a Buchner funnel, washing with 0.1 M HCl, ~100 mL. This caused a change in color from red to bright yellow (pic 3).

The damp yellow solids were recrystallized from hot (almost boiling) MeOH (~150 mL) - the solids were dissolved in the hot MeOH with stirring, the jar capped and allowed to come to ambient temperature, then placed in the freezer overnight. The fibrous, cotton-like crystals were vacuum filtered, washing with cold 0.1 M HCl, then with cold distilled water. The air-dried product weighed 7.0 g (54%)(pic 4).

This is a nice, quick and fun preparation - one could probably go from start to finish in a few hours. The colors are fantastic! I have another batch going, prepared the same as above, but with 2 molar equivalents of nitromethane (as in the reference) this time, and acidification of the resulting mass before filtering (and hopefully less messy technique :P). Maybe these changes will provide a higher yield.

1. Can J Res. 1948 Jan;26(Sect B 1):7-10.
DOI: 10.1139/cjr48b-003

* This was a miscalculation/misread. I intended to use 1.1 mol equivalents, which would be about 3.9 mL

solution.jpg - 2.2MB base-crystal mass.jpg - 2MB crude.jpg - 2.4MB recrystallized neutral.jpg - 2MB

[Edited on 7-6-2014 by Crowfjord]
plante1999
International Hazard

Mood: Mad as a hatter

[*] posted on 7-6-2014 at 14:46

Nice experiment, although I can easily see clandestine chemistry as an inspiration. I even wonder if the amine of the said compound is restricted or not..

I never asked for this.
Crowfjord
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 7-6-2014 at 14:53

Not really sure, but I actually chose vanillin in order to avoid making anything illegal (or a precursor to something illegal). That, and because vanillin is so cheap. The inspiration was to make a substrate with which to test the Cu/Al reduction system, mainly. Since the prep was so simple, with nice colors, I figured that I would make a separate thread, for the benefit of beginners.

[Edited on 7-6-2014 by Crowfjord]
plante1999
International Hazard

Mood: Mad as a hatter

[*] posted on 7-6-2014 at 15:17

Keep us updated on the weird copper/aluminium reduction too. I know vanilin can be used to make MDMA and MDA but it must be processed before the addition of the nitro compound.

The amine might enter in the amphetamine analogues legislation of Canada, better to keep away from it.

[Edited on 7-6-2014 by plante1999]

I never asked for this.
arkoma
Redneck Overlord

Mood: украї́нська

[*] posted on 7-6-2014 at 17:17

Quote: Originally posted by plante1999  
Nice experiment, although I can easily see clandestine chemistry as an inspiration.

so what. beautiful crawfjord.

"We believe the knowledge and cultural heritage of mankind should be accessible to all people around the world, regardless of their wealth, social status, nationality, citizenship, etc" z-lib

PHILOU Zrealone
International Hazard

Mood: Bis-diazo-dinitro-hydroquinonic

[*] posted on 12-6-2014 at 09:54

I suppose it is the trans-nitrostyrene isomer.

The use of butylamine allows one to think to the first formation of a Schiff base.
Ar-CH=O + H2N-R --> Ar-CH=N-R + H2O

Nitromethane chemistry is very special...and proportions between aldehyd and nitromethane might give a lot of various products :)
2 Ar-CH=O + CH3-NO2 --> Ar-CHOH-CH(NO2)-CHOH-Ar --> Ar-CH=C(NO2)-CHOH-Ar + H2O
Ar-CH=O + 2 CH3-NO2 --> Ar-CH(CH2-NO2)2 + H2O
Also possible:
O2N-CH2-CH(-Ar)-CH(NO2)-CH(-Ar)-CH2-NO2

PH Z (PHILOU Zrealone)

"Physic is all what never works; Chemistry is all what stinks and explodes!"-"Life that deadly disease, sexually transmitted."(W.Allen)
Crowfjord
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 12-6-2014 at 10:23

Quite true, PH Z. I will do some analytics tomorrow (melting point, TLC) to verify what I have, and assess purity.
PHILOU Zrealone
International Hazard

Mood: Bis-diazo-dinitro-hydroquinonic

[*] posted on 12-6-2014 at 11:19

By the way I like your idea very much...

I will try to nitrate the resulting molecule in hope to get the 2,5-dinitro compound...split off the CH3 to free the hydroxy group and oxydise to get the ortho-quinone molecule.
Then maybe make a polymer of the polynitrostyren.

PH Z (PHILOU Zrealone)

"Physic is all what never works; Chemistry is all what stinks and explodes!"-"Life that deadly disease, sexually transmitted."(W.Allen)
Crowfjord
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 13-6-2014 at 15:51

The second run, as stated above was conducted exactly the same as the first, except that 7.1 mL nitromethane (~2 mol equivalents on vanillin) was used, more care was taken to avoid spillage, and crystallization was made to happen more slowly. This resulted in slightly larger crystals, and a total yield of 8.17 g (63%), so a small improvement over the first time. Melting point: 171-173 C, lit: 169 C (paper referenced above).

Both experiments gave only one spot on TLC (2:1 ethyl acetate:methanol), though they gave different Rf values (so did vanillin, despite using the exact same elution mixture and the same vanillin solution). See photo.

The nitrostyrene may still be a little impure; a better solvent system probably could have been chosen.
TLC.jpg - 2.4MB
1:run #1
V: vanillin
2: run #2
Baffled
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 15-6-2014 at 12:20

Just a few papers, because there's more to the Henry than that!

Attachment: Boobalan R.; Lee G.; Chen C. Copper Complex of Aminoisoborneol Schiff Base.pdf (435kB)
This file has been downloaded 1391 times

http://www.orgsyn.org/Content/pdfs/procedures/v82p0087.pdf

Attachment: Henry.pdf (199kB)
This file has been downloaded 702 times

Attachment: Henry (1).pdf (325kB)
This file has been downloaded 814 times

[Edited on 16-6-2014 by Baffled]

Go To Top