Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  ..  14
Author: Subject: Chemistry Wiki Attempt
Texium
Administrator

Mood: PhD candidate!

[*] posted on 14-6-2014 at 14:18
Chemistry Wiki Attempt

I'm not sure if anyone has found this wiki before. I discovered it a few months ago while trying to find a site with comprehensive information about chemistry related topics, that would be useful from a chemist's (especially an amateur chemist's) perspective, rather than the massive amount of unnecessary information, and often rather small amount of useful information that Wikipedia provides.
It seems like that was the goal of this wiki, but due to the lack of support it has received, it can best be described as, well, sad. Back in March, I had a burst of inspiration and decided I'd contribute to it to lay down a base of simple articles to build off of. It was really difficult to keep it up though, because I was the only one contributing anything more that the most minor of edits. Jut throwing this out there, in case anyone is interested in editing it. Here's the link: http://chemistry.wikia.com/wiki/Chemistry_Wiki
Also, if this wiki isn't meant to be, then maybe we could create a Sciencemadness wiki: essentially the same thing, but managed by the members of this forum. That might be a great way to maintain a great database of information.

EDIT: The old Chemistry Wiki is no longer our focus. I have created http://sciencemadness.wikia.com as a fresh start for the same purpose. That way it can be managed by us.

[Edited on 6-15-2014 by zts16]
Brain&Force
Hazard to Lanthanides

Mood: Incommensurately modulated

[*] posted on 14-6-2014 at 18:08

I'll join you in an editing rampage, and we can plot for takeover! :D Seriously, the wiki has a lot of potential. I'll write up some articles, mostly about lanthanides and things.

A Sciencemadness wiki would be great for experimenter notes. I would also contribute to that.

[edit]

I have found that I cannot upload photos to the wiki. zts16, you have my permission to upload anything I have uploaded to Sciencemadness.

Include fluorescing potassium terbium sulfate under shortwave UV, iodine vapor, a magnified image of distilled terbium metal, illuminated under soft white light, and the spectral lines of a sodium lamp viewed with a CD.

[Edited on 15.6.2014 by Brain&Force]

At the end of the day, simulating atoms doesn't beat working with the real things...
Texium
Administrator

[*] posted on 14-6-2014 at 20:11

Alright cool, thanks. I'll probably get on that once I have some more time on my hands. Yes, we will take it over! I think I'll start with making simple pages for all of the elements and common compounds that give just very basic information, and then other contributors can elaborate. It just needs a sturdy backbone to be able to grow. So despite not being able to upload images, you can still edit lanes, right?
Brain&Force
Hazard to Lanthanides

[*] posted on 14-6-2014 at 20:32

I can still edit: I wrote the whole article on terbium and I plan to finish all of the rare earth metals. Don't forget to include links!

At the end of the day, simulating atoms doesn't beat working with the real things...
forgottenpassword
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 15-6-2014 at 00:39

There is lots of chemistry written in books. Why rewrite it all, or imagine that it would be productive to do so?
bismuthate
National Hazard

Mood: self reacting

[*] posted on 15-6-2014 at 03:27

Well, It's easier to access.

I'm not a liar, I'm just an enthusiastic celebrant of opposite day.
I post pictures of chemistry on instagram as bismuthate. http://iconosquare.com/bismuthate
or this viewer if you don't have an instagram (it sucks though) http://web.stagram.com/n/bismuthate
forgottenpassword
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 15-6-2014 at 05:34

Books are designed for easy access too.
Texium
Administrator

[*] posted on 15-6-2014 at 05:53

Well, before the internet, sure. But now it would be much easier to have it all in one place that can be accessed from essentially anywhere. Plus it can grow and change as information becomes available, and it might even be kind of fun to work on it, especially if a lot of us work on it together.

Edit: B&F, I think if you made a Wikia account it would probably allow you to upload pictures. If I remember correctly, I was not able to until I did.

forgottenpassword
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 15-6-2014 at 06:04

Greenwood and Earnshaw's Chemistry of the Elements is 1600 pages. Are you going to include all of that information in your 'wiki'? Will it ever come close to having that much accurate and referenced information?
Texium
Administrator

[*] posted on 15-6-2014 at 06:19

Well, 1600 page books happen to be pretty damn expensive while you can go to a wiki for free, and yes, eventually, it will include that much information if not more. The owner of the wiki is quite the stickler for having referenced information. Pages that don't meet the standards are tagged with a message saying so, if not outright deleted.
Look, I have nothing against books. Books are awesome. I have several chemistry books too. I just happen to think that this is an interesting experiment and that it would be really great if it worked. So you can go on being pessimistic and unhelpful, or you could just let us who actually want it to happen discuss it and work on it.
macckone
International Hazard

Mood: Electrical

[*] posted on 15-6-2014 at 06:56

That wikia is going to need a lot of work. Possibly transcribing a
bunch of mellor's would be a start.
Texium
Administrator

[*] posted on 15-6-2014 at 12:20

It definitely needs a lot of work. You know, I've been thinking that it might actually be easier to start our own rather than trying to resurrect this one. The main problem I have with working on this one is that the creator, Wikia user Fargo84, isn't a chemist, and is more dedicated to his World War 2 wiki. That is not to say he doesn't seem like an intelligent and helpful person, he's just not that into chemistry.
I feel like if I were to start a new wiki, then we'd have a lot more control over its management instead of relying on someone who isn't as dedicated as us. Does that seem like a good idea?
Brain&Force
Hazard to Lanthanides

[*] posted on 15-6-2014 at 12:26

Try making sciencemadness.wikia.com

We can have pages for chemical elements and compounds, including new information that has been discovered by Sciencemadness members, as well as procedures, experiment notes, sources of reagents, and other relevant information. I'd be 100% willing to contribute this summer.

[Edited on 15.6.2014 by Brain&Force]

Texium
Administrator

[*] posted on 15-6-2014 at 13:30

Awesome, I'll do that. It is very likely that I won't contribute all that much until July though, because I'm in a dual-credit history class this month, and I'm kind of busy with that. (Getting it out of the way so I'll have more room for chemistry in my college schedule)
I will copy the pages from the old chemistry wiki that I directly worked on though.

Edit: Alright, it has been made! Feel free to begin adding pages. I might work on it a bit now and then, but in July when my schedule opens up a bit, I plan on spending a lot of time on it.

forgottenpassword
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 16-6-2014 at 07:40

What sources are you going to use to compile this information? Do you have free access to journals?
prof_genius
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 16-6-2014 at 08:22

I posted some stuff from the CRC Handbook of Chemistry and Physics.
macckone
International Hazard

Mood: Electrical

[*] posted on 16-6-2014 at 08:25

A good start might be to copy over the basic elements and common chemicals from wikipedia since everything there is creative commons license copying it should not be an issue.
prof_genius
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 16-6-2014 at 08:35

We could also add screen shots from books in pdf format, I have an old book on purification of common chemicals somewhere.
Texium
Administrator

[*] posted on 16-6-2014 at 10:18

Quote: Originally posted by macckone  
A good start might be to copy over the basic elements and common chemicals from wikipedia since everything there is creative commons license copying it should not be an issue.

We don't need a complete copy of Wikipedia's information though. We could do that, but I think we should leave out the elements of the Wikipedia pages that don't have significance related to chemistry, (history, cultural impacts, etc), and include more information that is chemistry related, also more detailed information about how to obtain the chemicals so that it is a useful tool for amateur chemists.

Come check out the Official Sciencemadness Wiki
They're not really active right now, but here's my YouTube channel and my blog.
Brain&Force
Hazard to Lanthanides

[*] posted on 16-6-2014 at 10:24

Let us know what articles you would like to see on the site! Better yet, if you feel you can provide suitable information, create or edit them yourself! Some of the sources will include what you have been working on and discovering, so feel free to include any repeatable results.

And we REALLY need pictures - we currently don't have any on the wiki.

[edit] Aluminum or aluminium? I just want to know so that we stay consistent.

[Edited on 16.6.2014 by Brain&Force]

Texium
Administrator

[*] posted on 16-6-2014 at 11:21

Quote: Originally posted by Brain&Force  

Aluminum or aluminium? I just want to know so that we stay consistent.

Good point. I'd say aluminum, but I'm sure others would prefer aluminium. (Damn, my computer autocorrect kept changing it to aluminum)
Should we have a poll?

Brain&Force
Hazard to Lanthanides

[*] posted on 16-6-2014 at 11:28

I would pick aluminium, sulfur, and caesium because that's the Wikipedia usage. (I prefer cesium to caesium, I really don't care too much about aluminium/aluminum.)

Can you edit the homepage so that we have a list of stubs and wanted articles, as with the other chemistry wiki?

Praxichys
International Hazard

Mood: Coprecipitated

[*] posted on 16-6-2014 at 11:31

IUPAC says "sulfur, aluminium, caesium"

http://www.worldwidewords.org/articles/aluminium.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia_talk:Naming_conventions_(chemistry)#Caesium_v_Cesium

ACS begs to differ, but hey... my country is one of three still using the silly English unit system. Call me a pushover but I tend to go with majority vote.

[Edited on 16-6-2014 by Praxichys]

Texium
Administrator

[*] posted on 16-6-2014 at 11:59

Quote: Originally posted by Brain&Force  

Can you edit the homepage so that we have a list of stubs and wanted articles, as with the other chemistry wiki?
Yep, I'll try to do that
Edit: I'm trying to figure out how to do all that now. It's done differently than simply editing the page.

[Edited on 6-16-2014 by zts16]

Texium
Administrator

[*] posted on 16-6-2014 at 12:18

Aha, I found the admin control panel! It should be very easy to add those features now. The link to the CP was tiny and at the bottom of the page, so I hadn't noticed it until now.

Pages:  1    3  ..  14

Go To Top