Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: cheap Cr/Co/Cu/Ni salts from chinese suppliers?
valeg96
Hazard to Others

Mood: Moodless

[*] posted on 18-6-2014 at 09:29
cheap Cr/Co/Cu/Ni salts from chinese suppliers?

Hello everyone! Seems like some of you managed to purchase from alibaba or similar websites.

Now, Cr(III)/Co(II)/Cu(II)/Ni(II) salts are very cheap there (ranging from 5 to 12$/kg) and many suppliers put 1kg as minimum quantity for purchase. Do you know any reliable company out there that is willing to sell to a private, let's say 1 or 2kg each (let's say 6-10kg total)?
I really need NiCl2, CoCl2 and CuCl2 but my local chem supplier sells only Analysis-grade stuff, which I can't afford :( Any useful info? Thanks~

[Edited on 18-6-2014 by valeg96]
numos
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 18-6-2014 at 09:48

Generally Alibaba doesn't ship 1kg quantities, their minimums are generally 20 foot long cargo containers = a couple hundred metric tons worth. I've tried contacting a lot of sellers, and maybe I was unlucky but none of them would ship less. You might be able to buy from a buyer, eg. Some factory buys the 20flc and you can ask for a kg to be billed to you, then you don't even have to pay the couple hundred dollars in shipping the container.

the minimum amount listed in the item as well as the price are usually worth nothing, you actually need to contact them for a quote and minimum to get the real numbers.
If anyone else had better luck, I would love to know!

valeg96
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 18-6-2014 at 10:02

Quote: Originally posted by numos  
You might be able to buy from a buyer, eg. Some factory buys the 20flc and you can ask for a kg to be billed to you

Too bad I don't know anyone who buys this stuff. It's awful spending all these money on Analysis-grade chemicals.
Blue Matter
Hazard to Others

Mood: Optimus

[*] posted on 18-6-2014 at 13:46

It all just depends on how far you are willing to go example say you have a business and you are with quality control and you need a sample before you make a 200 kiloton order, I have found that this almost always works but for quantities around 1-5 kg. I order from sellers on alibaba about 2x a month and it really is acquired talent learning how to pick sellers that are legit, are willing to use Paypal, have a reasonable shipping method and will sell the quantity you are looking for.

violet sin
International Hazard

Mood: Good

[*] posted on 18-6-2014 at 14:38

a day or two ago I was looking on alibaba for the requirements on ordering, business license needed or what. they said you could inquire with the sellers, and also write something in for the business name implying personal use when you register, but many wont deal with you. I have never had any of them write back to me yet... any how it had some suggestions there about using aliexpress. http://www.aliexpress.com/ for smaller orders of what is sold on alibaba. the selection is pretty well neutered to a handful of the metals I was looking for. LOTS of consumer crap like ebay, and the prices were a bit high for the things I wanted, but small amounts of certain things were available. among the things I was looking for: selenium, mischmetal, rare earths, cobalt, nickel... and a few others. the selenium was available in a Kg and smaller format for a good price. more than I can drop atm, but soon it shall be mine. I had great trouble finding nickel and cobalt, like nada( limited time to look), but I did find mischmetal also. trouble is you are looking at a hundred/Kg(with shipping) to WAY more(before shipping) for some of the grades, which metals are left in and overall purity. thought a pound or Kg of mishmetal would be cheaper ya know, considering how cheap the ferrocerium fints are. anyhow, see if they have what you are looking for, and I seem to remember I came across a suggestion area, where you could ask if they would start selling something you didn't see.

the real button to win, could potentially be to find the seller on alibaba, and then ask them to do a small scale sale with you on the AliExpress.com site. could potentially provide them with a market that they trust and are already apart of. deff worth a try.
valeg96
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 19-6-2014 at 01:44

Quote: Originally posted by Blue Matter  
it really is acquired talent learning how to pick sellers that are legit, are willing to use Paypal, have a reasonable shipping method and will sell the quantity you are looking for.

Well, and are you willing to tell us who they are? ;)
numos
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 19-6-2014 at 06:27

Also perhaps we could do a collaborative purchase here on science madness? Example: how does 20 cents for a liter of sulfuric acid sound? We could purchase a metric ton for $200, min order 25 metric tons (around $6000 total with shipping) I wouldn't mind owning a metric ton... If 25 other people are interested... Shipping might be a problem

Texium
Administrator

Mood: PhD candidate!

[*] posted on 19-6-2014 at 08:28

Not interested in a metric ton, but if we could figure out shipping to Texas I'd be happy to purchase a few liters at that price. Maybe more if shipping doesn't turn out to be a hassle and my parents approve.

Come check out the Official Sciencemadness Wiki
They're not really active right now, but here's my YouTube channel and my blog.
Blue Matter
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 19-6-2014 at 08:54

Metric ton is around 1200 liters haha I dont know many people who could store or need that much. For sulfuric acid it is a bad idea to order from overseas alot can go wrong with shipping best to buy bulk from a supplier in the states.

numos
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 19-6-2014 at 08:56

Shipping will be a hassle, it arrives at a port, probably long beach which is an hour away from here, then it would have to be driven by truck most likely, and it is shipped in huge containers each holding a metric ton. (think methylamine from B. Bad) and bottling that is going to be a pain, its really only worth it if the entire container is purchased. For a few liters it's safer to pay the $10/liter at elemental scientific or duds diesel.

and now that I think of it, at that quantity being shipped to a single residence you'd be more likely to win the lottery than not have authorities wondering why you have that quantity.

Texium
Administrator

Mood: PhD candidate!

[*] posted on 19-6-2014 at 09:04

Quote: Originally posted by numos  

and now that I think of it, at that quantity being shipped to a single residence you'd be more likely to win the lottery than not have authorities wondering why you have that quantity.
Hm, dissolving bodies? ;)
Yeah, that's true. It's probably more trouble than it's worth, even at those prices. The only way that it would be feasible would be if you lived in the port city that it was brought into and could actually transport it yourself from that point. (Even if you had to make several trips)

Come check out the Official Sciencemadness Wiki
They're not really active right now, but here's my YouTube channel and my blog.
Blue Matter
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 19-6-2014 at 09:37

Always wanted to purchase this but never could pull the trigger on it.

http://www.dudadiesel.com/choose_item.php?id=5gsa

Go To Top