Printable Version  
Author: Subject: looking for smokeless flash powder recipe
SM2
Hazard to Others

Mood: Affect

[*] posted on 30-6-2014 at 13:03
looking for smokeless flash powder recipe

My trained pigeon lit off maybe 2 oz flash powder in open
Usually just a brilliant flash, and a big pillow of air. This time, however, it sounded as if a 500Lb bomb went off. Neighbors came out, and so did I, so as to lessen suspicion. I just can not believe how fucking loud that was. I had no ear protection, and I bet I destroyed some inner ear hairs.

So today <24 hours after incident, I made an emulsion of vitamin A acetate, lutein, and ascorbyl palmitate, DI water, ascorbic acid, polysorbate 80, salt. I have been instilling these drops into my ears, In hopes of hair regeneration. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9581394

My pigeon is just not certain how this may be able to reach the fluid the hair cells are bathing in. My hope is for a small amount to cross the phospho lipid bi-layer. I have all but ruled out DMSO.

I'm a guinea p:oig, somewhat, but I'd be an even greater guinea had I not taken action within the 48 hour window of opportunity

Interestingly, my tinnitus seems to have disappeared ~75% perhaps, which is huge. My sense of hearing is SO precious to me.

BTW: Any smokeless flash powder recipes. The smoke from KCLO4 & blackhead aluminum gives away my location. Still want stability and similar power if possible. Thanks in advance.

"Old men who speak of victory
shed light upon their stolen life
they - drive by night- and act as if they're
moved by unheard music." B. Currie
hyfalcon
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 30-6-2014 at 13:06

In about 4 days, I'll be in the same boat with ya mate.

If you want flash without the boom, then try more and coarser aluminum.

[Edited on 30-6-2014 by hyfalcon]
SM2
Hazard to Others

Mood: Affect

[*] posted on 30-6-2014 at 13:13
Same dingy?

Quote: Originally posted by hyfalcon  
In about 4 days, I'll be in the same boat with ya mate.

What boat is that? Prey tell you don't do what my pidgeon did. It made a super brilliant flash, but it wasn't so bright. I bet it reached > Mach 1. No casing, nada. In fact, it seemed much louder than a confined firework. Go figure!!!!!:mad:

If you want flash without the boom, then try more and coarser aluminum.

[Edited on 30-6-2014 by hyfalcon]

"Old men who speak of victory
shed light upon their stolen life
they - drive by night- and act as if they're
moved by unheard music." B. Currie
Bert
Super Administrator

Mood: " I think we are all going to die. I think that love is an illusion. We are flawed, my darling".

[*] posted on 30-6-2014 at 13:49

How are you going to make an explosive with Aluminum or Magnesium as a fuel that doesn't leave copious amounts of fine metallic oxides hanging in the air as a "smoke" cloud?

If you want a silent bright flash, mix the flash with sawdust, increasing the percentage until you've got it denatured enough for your application.

As far as self containment leading to a report rather than a "WHOOSH", use coarser metal or a less lively oxidizer, or both.

Rapopart’s Rules for critical commentary:

1. Attempt to re-express your target’s position so clearly, vividly and fairly that your target says: “Thanks, I wish I’d thought of putting it that way.”
2. List any points of agreement (especially if they are not matters of general or widespread agreement).
3. Mention anything you have learned from your target.
4. Only then are you permitted to say so much as a word of rebuttal or criticism.

Anatol Rapoport was a Russian-born American mathematical psychologist (1911-2007).

Bert
Super Administrator
Thread Moved
30-6-2014 at 13:50
Turner
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 30-6-2014 at 14:38

WHAT DOES IT MEAN TO SAY YOUR TRAINED PIGEON SET OFF YOUR FLASH????
Zyklon-A
International Hazard

Mood: Fluorine radical

[*] posted on 1-7-2014 at 06:41

He probably meant it literally. I have a neighbor who trains pigeons, those birds are quite smart as well as easy to get.
Buying a pigeon and training it to set off flash powder would not be that hard.
As for OP's question, there is no way to make a smokeless flash powder - only nitrate flash's give any gaseous products at all (nitrogen). Your flash will produce both metallic oxides and potassium chloride, two solids at STP.

[Edited on 1-7-2014 by Zyklon-A]

Bert
Super Administrator

Mood: " I think we are all going to die. I think that love is an illusion. We are flawed, my darling".

[*] posted on 8-7-2014 at 16:32

Quote: Originally posted by Zyklon-A  
only nitrate flash's give any gaseous products at all (nitrogen). Your flash will produce both metallic oxides and potassium chloride, two solids at STP.

[Edited on 1-7-2014 by Zyklon-A]

"Flash" covers a very wide range of possible mixtures.

Ammonium perchlorate and Magnesium flash has a completely gaseous reaction product... The Magnesium oxide is a GAS at the temperature of that reaction. The gas output including the temporary gasses are greater than that of a similar weight of nitroglycerin, and the heat output per weight is also higher.

It makes some terrifying salutes. Because they are apt to set themselves off, unless the Mg is dichromate coated before mixing- Which process has its own set of hazards (hexavalent chrome, anyone?)

I have seen these made and used. The effects were dramatic, but not worth the risks and not at all suitable for a commercial product in my opinion. NOT RECOMENDED. Particularly not for the beginner. And the Magnesium oxide quickly condenses into a cloud of particulate "white smoke".

Rapopart’s Rules for critical commentary:

1. Attempt to re-express your target’s position so clearly, vividly and fairly that your target says: “Thanks, I wish I’d thought of putting it that way.”
2. List any points of agreement (especially if they are not matters of general or widespread agreement).
3. Mention anything you have learned from your target.
4. Only then are you permitted to say so much as a word of rebuttal or criticism.

Anatol Rapoport was a Russian-born American mathematical psychologist (1911-2007).

Zyklon-A
International Hazard

Mood: Fluorine radical

[*] posted on 11-7-2014 at 08:29

Quote: Originally posted by Bert  

Ammonium perchlorate and Magnesium flash has a completely gaseous reaction product... The Magnesium oxide is a GAS at the temperature of that reaction.

Cool, thanks for telling me that. Very interesting.
That gives me another excuse to make some more ammonium perchlorate!

Go To Top