Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Needing a 1/2 inch overhead stirrer paddle, 5/16 inch diameter
FireLion3
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 8-7-2014 at 10:20
Needing a 1/2 inch overhead stirrer paddle, 5/16 inch diameter

The place where I got all my overhead stirrer stuffs from only carries a smallest size of 1" paddle, and this of course will not fit in flasks that only have 24/40 openings. Does anyone have a source on a stainless steel paddle that isn't exteremely expensive? Under $100 ideally.
Dr.Bob
International Hazard

[*] posted on 8-7-2014 at 12:16

I might have some Teflon ones that would work. I have not seen SS paddles like that, only larger SS stirrers for larger joint size flasks. What is the size of the flask (ml?) you want it for?
FireLion3
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 8-7-2014 at 22:44

Oh yeah it doesn't have to be stainless. I just haven't encountered any teflon ones so I wasn't thinking there were any. Does the size of the flask matter? I got 2 or 3 other paddles, and when selecting them I was doing it strictly off size. Meaning if it fits into the opening of the RBF, then why not? Or is there something else about flask size I'm not thinking about?

I also need one around 1/2 inch simply for stirring very small beakers (50-100ml). I don't like to use the magnetic stirrer for that because it has a nasty tendcy to bump and potentially splash if I go to high over 700 rpm.

I need a paddle that will fit into a 24/40 opening. Some of my larger flasks have 45/50 openings but the smaller ones (250ml - 1L) only have a 24/40 opening, which according to google is .94 inches. I haven't actually received my paddles yet so for all I know the one inch one I (think) I got might be able to fit if I angle it when I put it in, but I have my doubts.
Muffn Man
Harmless

[*] posted on 9-7-2014 at 10:35
Picture of overhead stirrers

Here is a picture that Dr. Bob sent me a while back. You will get a good idea of what he has available. Forget about the 3 blade metal one on the bottom, its mine now : )

Overhead_Stirrer.png - 1.1MB
eesakiwi
Harmless

Mood: drawnout

[*] posted on 14-7-2014 at 03:24

Some microwaves have a 3 finned teflon(not 100% sure) paddle thing to drive the glass platter around.
Most are this sort but some microwaves use a brown plastic one.
But all the white ones I have seen seem to be teflon.

I will probably be spending more time here at SMF now.

For the rod I'm planning to use fibreglass rod or a glass tube from a floodlight or a photocopy machine lightbulb.
They are about 10 inches long, maybe more.

Go To Top