Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3    5  ..  15
Author: Subject: Mystery Glassware Identification Thread
Argentum
Harmless

Mood: UV light

[*] posted on 20-5-2015 at 13:40

Can anybody tell me what is this piece of glassware?

20150520_181444.jpg - 2.6MB20150520_181502.jpg - 2.6MB

aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 20-5-2015 at 13:47

Looks like a splash head.

Edit:

Gas should go into the bottom, and leave the top.

If any liquid splashes upwards, it is trapped in the bulb, so only Gas ever leaves the top.

[Edited on 20-5-2015 by aga]

Argentum
Harmless

[*] posted on 21-5-2015 at 12:50

I am surprised that the tube at one end is flat and the other is so thin. And I'm surprised to find something as that in my house.

aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 21-5-2015 at 12:55

could just be a Hookah pipe with a glass bulb full of water to cool the THC vapours.

The long part, flat at the end would be the mouthpiece.

Edit

No se exactamente lo que es. solo estan surregencias.

[Edited on 21-5-2015 by aga]

GrayGhost
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 21-5-2015 at 14:20

Quote: Originally posted by Argentum  
Can anybody tell me what is this piece of glassware?

Apparently is a tube antireflux.

Aparentemente es un tubo antireflujo.
Argentum
Harmless

[*] posted on 22-5-2015 at 13:14

Quote: Originally posted by aga  
could just be a Hookah pipe with a glass bulb full of water to cool the THC vapours.

The long part, flat at the end would be the mouthpiece.

Edit

No se exactamente lo que es. solo estan surregencias.

[Edited on 21-5-2015 by aga]
Thanks for the "surregencia", but I prefer saying it's a splash head-Antireflux tube

Texium
Administrator

Mood: PhD candidate!

[*] posted on 23-5-2015 at 06:03

Alright, I have another piece of mystery glassware. It's a quite complicated and delicate piece. It looks like it must be useful for something, but I don't know what.
IMG_0296.jpg - 1.5MB
The tube on the bottom that I am holding in the picture goes up through the outer tube, ending with three tiny holes in the side of the inner tube that are each accompanied by an indentation in the outer tube. The bulb on top has a small hole in it. The tube with the stopcock is connected to the bottom of the outer tube. Graduations run from top to bottom, 25-0, like a burette. Seems sort of like a really fancy alternate version of a Dean-stark or something similar.

Come check out the Official Sciencemadness Wiki
They're not really active right now, but here's my YouTube channel and my blog.
DJF90
International Hazard

[*] posted on 23-5-2015 at 08:50

Its an auto-fill butette. The stem you're holding goes into a reservoir of solution and application of air pressure causes the burette to fill. The holes at the top of the pipe means the burette is auto-zero'd too.
Texium
Administrator

[*] posted on 23-5-2015 at 11:19

Quote: Originally posted by DJF90  
Its an auto-fill butette. The stem you're holding goes into a reservoir of solution and application of air pressure causes the burette to fill. The holes at the top of the pipe means the burette is auto-zero'd too.
Awesome, thanks! That seems quite useful, especially since I always obsess over filling burettes right to the 0 mark when I do titrations. After doing some googling, I see that they are often used with squeezable LDPE bottles. I may need to modify a wash bottle for this purpose now.

Starcruiser
Harmless

[*] posted on 11-7-2015 at 04:38

Just bought this "device" from local flea market. Does not look like chemistry glassware to me. Any ideas ?

PS: my first post here. Reading a lot in the last couple of years, nothing remarkable to post (`till now :D).

Thank you.

DSC_6607bx.jpg - 648kB DSC_6606bx.jpg - 643kB DSC_6605bx.jpg - 643kB DSC_6604bx.jpg - 1.1MB DSC_6603bx.jpg - 596kB
unionised
International Hazard

[*] posted on 11-7-2015 at 06:39

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/248049891950521758/
Starcruiser
Harmless

[*] posted on 11-7-2015 at 07:06

Quote: Originally posted by unionised  
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/248049891950521758/

Thanks. Never seen something like it in my part of the world (East Europe). Might use it for some aromatic plant extractions... or just to make some coffee.

LE

based on the same principle:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXDOCo5Cn_g

[Edited on 11-7-2015 by Starcruiser]
ave369
Eastern European Lady of Mad Science

[*] posted on 12-7-2015 at 02:04

Quote: Originally posted by Starcruiser  
Just bought this "device" from local flea market. Does not look like chemistry glassware to me. Any ideas ?

Visit your local glassblower, add a few modifications into the design of this coffee maker, and you've got a Kipp apparatus!
Boffis
International Hazard

[*] posted on 12-7-2015 at 08:54

It's a "Cona" type coffee percolator, I used used have one. There was a small spirit lamp under the flask. You put ground coffee in the top and water in the bottom and placed the burner under the flask. It heated the water and the steam pressure forced the water up into the top section. You then remove the burner and the water cools, the steam condenses and draughs a vacuum that causes the coffee to be forced back through the filter.

Simple really. I doubt that this was ever intended for laboratory use but I suppose that it could be used for similar extraction. This type of Cona dates from the 50 and 60s by the late 1970s they had replaced the alcohol lamps with electric heaters though I think you could still buy the older type right up to the 1980s.

Holy shit guys:-they still make them and they still have spirit burners!!! Check out Cona in Cranleigh, Surrey, UK on t'internet

[Edited on 12-7-2015 by Boffis]
Starcruiser
Harmless

[*] posted on 12-7-2015 at 09:55

Quote: Originally posted by ave369  
Quote: Originally posted by Starcruiser  

Visit your local glassblower, add a few modifications into the design of this coffee maker, and you've got a Kipp apparatus!

I don`t know any local glassblower, otherwise I would keep him busy with some other projects too. Although with cheap e-bay glassware these days, a better alternative is to just buy the stuff.
Starcruiser
Harmless

[*] posted on 12-12-2015 at 16:34

I`ve just got some new unknown glassware from a friend working in an organic chemistry lab. I have no idea what they are and what they were used for. My friend (new in that lab) has no idea either and was told to dispose of them (and so she did by giving them to me :))

The glass looks pretty much unused to me (meaning they are spotless).

Any ideas of what they are and their use ?

Some dimensions:

*the Y shaped thing: 240 mm in height; 25 mm inside diam. on the large "neck" and 14 mm the smaller ones;
** the pear shaped one is 180 mm tall, 80 mm wide (this one has a gas takeoff adapter at the top about 9 mm wide).

DSC_7065b_x.jpg - 504kB
chemrox
International Hazard

Mood: LaGrangian

[*] posted on 12-12-2015 at 16:42

I know all of these if you can make an excel sheet with pics on one column and an empty column next to it I'll fill it out for you. Otherwise it's too damned much work for no payoff. Some are custom made for projects. Others are pretty standard pieces including in complete ones.

[Edited on 13-12-2015 by chemrox]

"When you let the dumbasses vote you end up with populism followed by autocracy and getting back is a bitch." Plato (sort of)
gnarwhal
Harmless

[*] posted on 11-1-2016 at 01:14
Unknown Kontes glassware, vigreux

Acquired this with some other pieces i plan to keep. I'd like to find out it's purpose and let it go at a reasonable price.

IMG_20160109_184822.jpg - 484kB IMG_20160109_184742.jpg - 467kB

[Edited on 11-1-2016 by gnarwhal]
TheAlchemistPirate
Hazard to Others

Mood: Enigmatic

[*] posted on 12-1-2016 at 21:13

A few weeks ago I bought some glassware from homesciencetools, and decided to include a thermometer jacket for distillation. Here is the item - http://www.hometrainingtools.com/thermometer-jacket-adapter-...

I bought the jacket assuming that their glass thermometers (they only sold one size) would fit snugly into the tube, and that their was a hole at bottom of the tube which would let the thermometer pass through. It turns out that the bottom of the tube was actually sealed , making the thermometer sit awkwardly on top of the jacket instead of passing through it. Their glass thermometer fits very loosely into the tube as well.

Even more strangely, the description states that you must insert the thermometer through a rubber stopper before putting it into the jacket. The thermometer doesn't even enter the enclosed distillation path, why would one need to include a stopper to seal around it? Is it to right the thermometer vertically because it doesn't fit?

Maybe I'm supposed to somehow cut the tube bottom off so that the thermometer enters the distillation path, and seal it with a load of silicone grease? Of course none of this would be necessary if the gases passing the jacket imparted enough heat through the two layers of mismatched glass to accurately measure the temperature, but I would find that hard to believe.

"Is this even science anymore?!"
Zephyr
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 12-1-2016 at 21:24

I personally have only used thermometer jackets with metal temperature probes, but they are designed so that the glass protects the metal from whatever you are distilling. I don't recommend cutting off the bottom, as it would probably break crudely and would probably be hard to get a good seal. I'd imagine the stopper they recommend is used to insulate the tube so the heat which passes through stays near the thermometer and results in a more accurate reading. For my glass thermometers I use a thermometer adapter like this: http://www.laboyglass.com/thermometer-adapter-inlet-24-40.ht...
These use a rubber gasket to secure a clean seal.

[Edited on 1-13-2016 by Pinkhippo11]

Sciencemadness Patches for sale! U2U me if you are interested.
http://imgur.com/a/QmpHn http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=62566&...
j_sum1
Administrator

Member Is Online

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 12-1-2016 at 21:28

I think the idea is that you can use it when you don't want to actually put your thermometer in your reaction for some reason.
If they are recommending a rubber ring it is probably to prevent the thermometer from rattling around.

I bought one for use as a cold finger -- although mine is a bit longer. See pic

TheAlchemistPirate
Hazard to Others

Mood: Enigmatic

[*] posted on 12-1-2016 at 21:32

Those are nice jackets, though I'm a little low on money right now and am trying to be as cheap as possible :D . I might as well try mine out with the thermometer touching the bottom I suppose. You guys have no idea how much I wish I'd originally bought a full distillation kit from ebay. I probably would've accomplished half the crap I talk about on these forums :D . Nitric acid, I will find you someday...

[Edited on 13-1-2016 by TheAlchemistPirate]

"Is this even science anymore?!"
Texium
Administrator
Threads Merged
12-1-2016 at 22:36
Texium
Administrator
Thread Topped
12-1-2016 at 22:40
Texium
Administrator

[*] posted on 12-1-2016 at 22:42

Alright, now we have one master mystery glassware ID thread and it's been stickied for easy access.

Edit: The pruning that I did here was just removing several posts that had discussed merging the Mystery Glassware II thread here that got mixed up after the threads were merged.

[Edited on 1-13-2016 by zts16]

Texium
Administrator
Threads Merged
12-1-2016 at 22:45
Texium
Administrator
Thread Pruned
12-1-2016 at 22:49
jcs27324
Harmless

[*] posted on 23-2-2016 at 10:05
What is this glassware?

Does anybody have any idea what this glassware is used for? It's a pressure equalizing funnel, but there is the small tubing and bulb on the side that no one can identify. Our college chemistry lab gets a lot of donated glassware, so we often times get things that have specialized functions that we can't figure out... Thanks

IMG_4144.JPG - 1.5MB IMG_4145.JPG - 1.5MB IMG_4146.JPG - 1.2MB IMG_4147.JPG - 1.3MB

[Edited on 23-2-2016 by jcs27324]
Sulaiman
International Hazard

[*] posted on 23-2-2016 at 10:21

It is a soxhlet extractor https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soxhlet_extractor

[Edited on 23-2-2016 by Sulaiman]
Texium
Administrator
Threads Merged
23-2-2016 at 13:09
 Pages:  1    3    5  ..  15

Go To Top