Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  7    9    11  ..  15
Author: Subject: Mystery Glassware Identification Thread
PirateDocBrown
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 15-12-2017 at 16:36

That kind of funnel/flask is an iodine flask. It's meant to be used to determine the degree of unsaturation of fats and oils.
j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 15-12-2017 at 16:45

Quote: Originally posted by PirateDocBrown  
That kind of funnel/flask is an iodine flask. It's meant to be used to determine the degree of unsaturation of fats and oils.

Ok Cool. Pity I broke it.

Still, I now have an erlenmeyer with a funnel on it and a ground neck that doesn't fit anything I have. I think it will get some use.
The Volatile Chemist
International Hazard

Mood: Copious

[*] posted on 15-12-2017 at 17:57

Quote: Originally posted by j_sum1  
Exhibit B

No ground glass -- I guess it is designed for rubber stoppers. I guess you could add a straight tube and you would have a liebig. But is that the intent? Every application I have thought of comes just shy of being properly useful.
From what I've seen in Vogel's 3rd, that is indeed the outside half of a liebig condenser held together by corks.

j_sum1
Administrator

[*] posted on 15-12-2017 at 19:55

Ok then. It looks like it will be a pain to put the second cork in place. But certainly usable -- if I have a length of glass tube the right diameter.
I might just have to do some experiments where I go classical on the glassware.
dan.vlad
Harmless

[*] posted on 5-1-2018 at 02:55
Unknown glasware

Maybe somebody know something about this..

30122014102.JPG - 2.2MB 30122014106.JPG - 1.9MB 30122014111.JPG - 2.1MB
j_sum1
Administrator

[*] posted on 5-1-2018 at 03:14

1 is some kind of jacketed reaction vessel.
3 is a bit like a Davies condenser -- it is a double surfacfe in the same fashion. But instead of Graham-style coils like a regular davies, it has the bulbs of an allihn. I think there comes a point where a condenser is a condenser and there is not always a huge benefit in making the design more complex.
2 also appears to be a condenser arrangement but looks like it has been put together for a specific purpose I can't realy imagine what it might be. The pear shaped vessel where condensation occurs looks to be rather inefficient. I am not sure why there is the unusual fitting at the end. Looks like it is for a rather large flask.

My guesses anyway.

There is a theread specifically for glassware questions. Perhaps a mod will be kind enough to merge this with it.

Radium212
Hazard to Self

Mood: Pyrophoric.

[*] posted on 5-1-2018 at 05:04

The outer jacket in 1 may be a vacuum, so perhaps it was a vessel for a reaction where the temperature had to be kept constant?
Texium
Administrator
Threads Merged
5-1-2018 at 05:51
SWIM
National Hazard

[*] posted on 5-1-2018 at 14:50

Kinda looks like a UV reactor, but not quite. (One on the left)

Do those 3 necks all access the same chamber, or do they access both the inside and the jacket adjacent?

NeonPulse
Hazard to Others

Mood: Isolated from Reality! For Real this time....

[*] posted on 7-1-2018 at 21:27

Today I happened to come across a box of glass in a second hand charity store, eyeing the contents I was thrilled to find several Burettes, Pipet tea, flasks, a Mari-jet water aspirator, loads of borosilicate tubing and solid rods. Got it at a good price 40$. One burette alone is that much so a bargain. There was one thing that stood out as unusual. It is a long glass tube 1m long with removable adapters at each end one side has hose barbs and the other was an adjustable spray nozzle. The whole box was donated by a retired chemist so it must have some kind of use in chemistry. Not sure what though.

A54A47A1-3CAF-4D47-8932-A2DFDBD68E9E.jpeg - 1.6MB C6EA4FF2-73DB-477F-AD53-34DF884D43A0.jpeg - 1.6MB 125AE425-E0A9-40DE-A238-5440EA80A401.jpeg - 1.2MB

[Edited on 8-1-2018 by NeonPulse]

FCC82F34-848C-433F-93FF-263D2FE3D490.jpeg - 1.7MB

Where there is a will
there is a way.

AllCheMystery!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWbbidIY4v57uczsl0Fgv7w?vie...
Harristotle
Hazard to Others

Mood: I tink therefore I am

[*] posted on 8-1-2018 at 00:04

It is a chromatography column, made by Pharmacia
Often filled with Sephadex/Sephacryl size exclusion or ion exchange resins.
Biochemists love them !
SWIM
National Hazard

[*] posted on 11-1-2018 at 15:11

This thing really reminds me of a Mcleod gauge, but not quite.
Is this just another form of vacuum gauge, or something else?

mcleodgage.jpg - 290kB

dan.vlad
Harmless

[*] posted on 19-1-2018 at 06:21

Quote: Originally posted by SWIM  
Kinda looks like a UV reactor, but not quite. (One on the left)

Do those 3 necks all access the same chamber, or do they access both the inside and the jacket adjacent?

Those 3 necks all acces the same chamber !
This is only one chamber ,with 2 jacket
Dr.Bob
International Hazard

[*] posted on 23-1-2018 at 18:29

Here is an odd thing that I have, not sure what it for, it is a non-equilibrated addition funnel with a water coil going through it. Not sure if intended as a way to heat or cool something being added to a flask, or maybe a weird condenser that could be used as part of a Dean Stark type trap or what. It is also in 29/42 both ends.

If anyone can tell me what it is for for, they can buy it cheap. :-)

I have a lot of stuff like this that I am slowly trying to figure out what it is, so I can try to sell it or find it a good home. I'm slowly trying to catch up with some of the pile of stuff, there is so much odd stuff here.

20180122_210240smaller.JPG - 210kB
j_sum1
Administrator

[*] posted on 23-1-2018 at 23:37

Maybe an addition funnel for something like phenol with a melting point in the slightly-above-room-temperature zone? At least that's what I would use it for.

Does not seem like a dumb idea to me.

The Volatile Chemist
International Hazard

Mood: Copious

[*] posted on 24-1-2018 at 20:09

It was...a custom piece for someone who couldn't afford to buy a dimroth and another addition funnel...!
It looks like it's 29/42 or 29/ something - if it were a 24/ piece I'd look into buying it...

RogueRose
International Hazard

[*] posted on 24-2-2018 at 04:44
Some odd glassware in an auction lot with bidding soon to be expired

So I am looking at an auction lot and, as usually, the images look like they were taken with a 1992 cell phone, inside a sock as a filter. I just can't understand how about 70%+ of these major liquidation auctions (selling stuff to pay creditors) can't get clear pictures but they'll take 10 blurry pics of the same item when one clear pic would be better than the entire 10!

The original resolution of these pics is 480 x 320! IDK if a lower resolution is possible...

So I'm trying to identify what is in these pictures and some are pretty easy to identify but some are a little more ambiguous especially the last 2 pictures.
Top shelf looks like mostly erlenmeyer flasks, some with vacuum take-offs and some beakers. Bottom is volumetric flasks, grad cylinders, dessicant chamber, test tube rack & more flasks
a.jpg - 377kB

top shelf: More erlenmeyer flasks (250ml or maybe 400 or 500ml??)
Bottom shelf. Curious what is in the cardboard! some crystalization dishes, small beakers and flasks, a large beaker in the back (probably 2 - 3L and some nice parafilm. What is to the right of the cardboard boxes, they look like rullers but IDK why those would be there - is there something that is similar to this in chem equipment?
b.jpg - 405kB

The top shelf has a lot of long glassware which I'm not sure what it is at all, maybe volumetric pipettes? Suggestions here are greatly appreciated!
On the bottom shelf, the wrapped item in the back is impossible to distinguish but towards the left in the very back (not in circle) there looks to be a glass tube, maybe more pipettes. Then the device in the circle on the bottom.
c.jpg - 395kB

lots of lab stands and accessories and possibly some measured pumping dispensers. I have no experience with these and an wondering what value these have.
d.jpg - 306kB
j_sum1
Administrator

[*] posted on 24-2-2018 at 05:39

I think you have identified everything pretty well.
Photo three might be a power supply or magnetic stirrer or something analytical. Hard to tell from a grey box. That might be a ceramic mat or perhaps lab jack to the left of it.

Last photo looks like it might be something for automated titrations.

Vacuum desiccator alone is worth a bundle. If you can get tbis lot for a good price then grab it.

Cardie
Harmless

[*] posted on 23-3-2018 at 12:22

Moin,
does anyone know what this is? Bought it from ebay with other glassware and i dont have a clue what it could be.

CharlieA
National Hazard

[*] posted on 23-3-2018 at 17:29

I saw these used in an apparatus for running a biochemical reaction that produced/or used some gas or other. I can't recall any more specifics about it (this was ca. 55-60 years ago and my memory fails me :D).
CharlieA
National Hazard

[*] posted on 24-3-2018 at 02:41

an analytic apparatus that employs a manometer to determine changes in the amount of gas produced or absorbed by a test sample kept at constant temperature in a flask of constant gas volume and is used especially in the study of cellular respiration and metabolism and of some enzymatic reactions (as fermentation)
Warburg Apparatus Medical Definition | Merriam-Webster ...
www.merriam-webster.com/medical/Warburg%20apparatus

This came to me as I got up this morning at 5 a.m.! I found this with a Google search. That also had some pictures of the apparatus.
RogueRose
International Hazard

[*] posted on 7-4-2018 at 03:08

I just got a few pieces in a lot that I'm not sure what they are.

IDK what the thing is on the bottom, I think it is a condenser of some kind. The part on the right (in pic) is the top and it is open so that maybe something can drip into it, fall to the bottom, then the liquid would flow up the curled tubing and out the side middle but it also has a port/connection (2nd from right in pic) that would allow to feed with tube or over-flow - maybe there needs to be a cap/lid then the coil would be sealed. The outer jacket has 3 ports the top two on each side and one on the bottom.
condensor like thing.jpg - 470kB

Have no clue. Was told it might be a "freeze dryer" it is very thick, has an inverted cone on the inside (could be used to fill with water liquid for cooling?) then the 4 female joints on the bottom and the bottom male joint bottom dead center.
dryer - large - 1.jpg - 288kB

dryer - large - 0.jpg - 208kB

dryer - large - 2.jpg - 88kB

I'm guessing this is just a hose manifold for either liquids or vacuum.
dryer - large - mannifold - 1.jpg - 237kB

This is very similar to the above unit but is smaller, has 3 female joints on the side and a female joint bottom dead center.
dryer - small - 1.jpg - 267kB

dryer - small - 2.jpg - 192kB

This is the view of above unit from top showing inverted cone. The larger one looks basically like this as well.
dryer - small - 3.jpg - 98kB

Bunch of odd pieces of glassware, most have many joints for liquid or vacuum.
glass thingies.jpg - 466kB

glass thingies 2.jpg - 338kB

Have absolutely no idea what this is. It's about 3ft tall. It does say "don't wash with organic solvent" because it the base and top screw cap are made of acrylic/polycarbonate and some other white plastic on top.
Buchler 0.jpg - 214kB

Buchler 1.jpg - 135kB

Buchler 2.jpg - 169kB

These are upside down, the bottom (in the pic) is open and can hold fluid. I think these look like cold traps somewhat
cold traps.jpg - 168kB

Not sure what the top item is. It looks like it has an aerator on the bottom or it is a pad, it screws into a bottle
Glass 1.jpg - 227kB

Maybe some kind of glass mortar & pestle. It's called a "glass homogenizer" but IDK if it is for liquids or solids.
glass pestel.jpg - 125kB
LearnedAmateur
National Hazard

Mood: Free Radical

[*] posted on 7-4-2018 at 05:23

Quote: Originally posted by RogueRose  

Maybe some kind of glass mortar & pestle. It's called a "glass homogenizer" but IDK if it is for liquids or solids.

It’s used to grind tissues for DNA/RNA extraction (and I presume other tissue studies), so you’re on track with the M&P idea. Doesn’t seem like it but they can fetch over £20-30 for both pieces! The actual name is a Dounce homogeniser, and you can get PTFE variants too.

[Edited on 7-4-2018 by LearnedAmateur]

In chemistry, sometimes the solution is the problem.

It’s been a while, but I’m not dead! Updated 7/1/2020. Shout out to Aga, we got along well.
Dr.Bob
International Hazard

[*] posted on 9-4-2018 at 07:40

Quote: Originally posted by RogueRose  

I agree with Learned that they are tissue homogenizers. If anyone wants some, I have a box full of them somewhere. need to list on Ebay some day in my spare time, but there are so many different brands, sizes, and variations that it will take me a month to list them there. And I have no desire or need to homogenize anything, so I can't use them myself.

If anyone wants some, please do let me know. Any biochemists out there?
Vosoryx
Hazard to Others

Mood: Serial Apple Enjoyer

[*] posted on 10-4-2018 at 14:58

Any ideas?
It's a a glass frit, but doesn't seem like a filter... maybe it's for filtering gases or something?

20180410_090227.jpg - 3.2MB

20180410_090030.jpg - 3.1MB

Thanks.

"Open your mind son, before someone opens it for you." - Dr. Walter Bishop
Brom
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 10-4-2018 at 17:54

A friend of mine picked this up for me at a thrift shop type place for $6. It looks like a thistle tube with a stopcock but why the vacuum take off barb? Has any one seen or used one like this before?

20180410_074205.jpg - 1.1MB
 Pages:  1  ..  7    9    11  ..  15

Go To Top