Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  10    12    14  15
Author: Subject: Mystery Glassware Identification Thread
CharlieA
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 3-10-2019 at 17:19

Some possibilities come to mind:
1 - a seal to keep external air from entering the flask; you called this an airlock.
2 - a seal to allow gas(es) generated in the Erlenmeyer flask to escape, without external air entering; also preventing a build up of pressure in the flask due to generated gas.
3 - allow gas generated in the flask to react with a reagent in the u-tube for identification purposes.
4 - as you said, to make things look more "science-y)!:D
fusso
International Hazard

[*] posted on 3-10-2019 at 18:09

Do you have links to the vid(s)?

SuperOxide
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 3-10-2019 at 22:01

Quote: Originally posted by CharlieA  
Some possibilities come to mind:
1 - a seal to keep external air from entering the flask; you called this an airlock.
2 - a seal to allow gas(es) generated in the Erlenmeyer flask to escape, without external air entering; also preventing a build up of pressure in the flask due to generated gas.
3 - allow gas generated in the flask to react with a reagent in the u-tube for identification purposes.
4 - as you said, to make things look more "science-y)!:D

Thanks for the reply, CharlieA. My replies to each point are below:

1 & 2 - The reason I decided this wasn't likely was because the size/shape/volume seemed to make it unlikely, as well as the fact that the liquid inside of each instance of this apparatus being used was a different color (as if it was an indicator of some kind, not just regular water in an air lock).
3 - This is definitely my leading assumption, but I'm curious as to what the name of this glass piece is called (since there are a number of different glassware that can be used to accomplish this).
4 - This possibility is still on the table, the reason I'm not fully decided on it is because it seems to fit inline with what the narrator is talking about (which is referenced in the links in my reply to fusso below).

================

Quote: Originally posted by fusso  
Do you have links to the vid(s)?

Yep! Was able to find it again, thankfully. The specific Forensic Files episode is Penchant for Poison (S10E33)

After going through the relevant parts of the video again, I found out the technique they were using this glass apparatus for was called colorimetric testing.

The relevant parts of the video are listed below:

1. Here's when they talk about the chemical test they perform (@ 13:07)
  2. Here's when you first get a glimpse at the actual glassware in question (@ 13:31)
  3. And here's a bit of a closer look at one of them (@ 13:35)

Hope that helps, and thanks again!

P.S. This is my first post on the SM forums! (or I guess this specific post is my second, but you get what I mean). Long time lurker, finally grew some balls and decided to make an account and get involved. So.. nice to [virtually] meet you guys!
yobbo II
National Hazard

[*] posted on 6-11-2019 at 16:41
Stopper with handle

Hi,
What is this item. It simply looks like a stopper with a handle. There is no access to the inside of the stopper and 'handle'.

Yob

DSC00340.JPG - 2.1MB
SWIM
National Hazard

[*] posted on 7-11-2019 at 12:04

Looks like the stoppers you see on some old Iodine flasks used in Iodine determination tests.

I have no idea why they look like that, but some of them do.

yobbo II
National Hazard

[*] posted on 8-11-2019 at 08:12

Perhaps it is to help stop your hands from getting contaminated or discoloured with product.
CharlieA
National Hazard

[*] posted on 8-11-2019 at 13:57

I think that this is just an "old-fashioned" glass stopper. Perhaps the "handle" was hand made by a glass blower. Out of curiosity, is the ground stopper part a standard taper? I wouldn't think it is so old that it is a one-of-a-kind, but it would make a neat little display with other odd glassware that we all tend to accumulate through the course of time!
A better way to protect your hands from iodine might be to wear gloves
SWIM
National Hazard

[*] posted on 8-11-2019 at 19:48

https://www.camlab.co.uk/iodine-flasks-quickfit-p18359.aspx

I meant stoppers like these.

Yobbo II's stopper is 24/29 according to the markings.

[Edited on 9-11-2019 by SWIM]

[Edited on 9-11-2019 by SWIM]

Doc B
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 23-12-2019 at 22:25

I have NFI what these are but I've somehow managed to accumulate a bunch of them.

IMG_20191224_172321.jpg - 352kB IMG_20191224_172447.jpg - 741kB

Edit: the hook near the spout is actually a vent or something that opens to the outside. Does anyone have any idea what they are or what ould be used for?

[Edited on 24-12-2019 by Doc B]
SWIM
National Hazard

[*] posted on 24-12-2019 at 17:09

They look like a bartender could use them to measure out shots of hard liquor.

They are mighty familiar though. I'm SURE I've seen these on Ebay.

Maybe related to chromatography somerhow?

EDIT: looked on Ebay, the only similar thing I saw was obviously mis-named.

[Edited on 25-12-2019 by SWIM]

Doc B
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 26-12-2019 at 17:05

Quote: Originally posted by SWIM  
They look like a bartender could use them to measure out shots of hard liquor.

They are mighty familiar though. I'm SURE I've seen these on Ebay.

Maybe related to chromatography somerhow?

EDIT: looked on Ebay, the only similar thing I saw was obviously mis-named.

[Edited on 25-12-2019 by SWIM]

They could be for chromatographic use but I'm really not sure. What did you find on ebay?
SWIM
National Hazard

[*] posted on 26-12-2019 at 19:56

I went looking for the mis-named posting (it was something totally inane, like lab beaker distillation flask), when I found this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Amber-Glass-50-ml-Tilt-Measure-Disp...
So It's apparently a tilt measure dispenser.

You COULD set up a bar with these.

EDIT: Incidentally, I think I was confusing them with chromatography sprayers.
Another Item I know little about.

[Edited on 27-12-2019 by SWIM]

And these do seem to have a vent where your ones do, but it's just a little bump on these models.

Doc B
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 28-12-2019 at 12:09

I went looking for the mis-named posting (it was something totally inane, like lab beaker distillation flask), when I found this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Amber-Glass-50-ml-Tilt-Measure-Disp...
So It's apparently a tilt measure dispenser.

You COULD set up a bar with these.

EDIT: Incidentally, I think I was confusing them with chromatography sprayers.
Another Item I know little about.

And these do seem to have a vent where your ones do, but it's just a little bump on these models.

Mystery solved. Thank you SWIM!

I will have to try them out and determine the volume delivered by the different sizes.

More mystery glass to come, stay tuned!

Although I'm pretty sure some of it was made just to fcuk with me.
Eddie Current
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 7-6-2020 at 03:32

Quote: Originally posted by Sulaiman  
Because I'm emigrating from UK I thought I'd 'stock up' on used Quickfit via eBay when suitable (cheap),
I just won this item that is described as 'Vintage Pyrex Separating Funnel Double Tap Laboratory Glassware'
but looks more like a gas sampling tube with 3-way valves.
Anyone know of a specific use for this configuration ?

It is a gas sample collection tube designed for vacuum and trapping.
ekilsawkcalbeoj
Harmless

Mood: Energized Blob

[*] posted on 28-6-2020 at 09:21

It's a receiving flask, but I'm not quite sure the purpose of the upper valve and side vent/cap. If it's for draining without breaking vacuum, I suspect I should vent carefully before draining?

I tried searching forever on the internet to find something like it so I could see what it was called or how it operated, but could never find one like it. :(

SWIM
National Hazard

[*] posted on 28-6-2020 at 10:23

How is the side vent finished?

I assume it's not a ground joint under there, so is it just like a rubber cap on a beaded tube or something else?

Beaded tubes I usually think of as for hoses.

Perhaps the vent goes to a hose to the vac pump to rapidly re-establish vacuum after draining the flask.

Since there's virtually no space for distillate to accumulate above the top valve (I'm assuming your condenser is a common style), it might be important to evacuate that flask quickly so you can start collecting distillate instead of it just running back into the boiling flask.

This is a hypothesis based entirely on what I see here. I haven't seen anything like it on a rotovap before.

EDIT: But here is what looks like a similarly functioning fitting:https://www.ebay.com/itm/USA-Lab-50L-Rotary-Evaporator-RotoVap-RE-1050-180-C-220V/401655360968?hash=item5d84866dc8:g:Zt0AAOSwIfFdufmN

The rotovaps I've looked at before were mostly ones I thought I might buy: cheap simple ones.

You've got a Ferrari and some of the parts just don't look like the ones on the Studebakers I've been looking at.

Okay, that picture didn't work, but this link should:

ernestborgnineappendectomyscar.gif - 79kB

[Edited on 28-6-2020 by SWIM]

Eddie Current
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 28-6-2020 at 14:09

Has anyone encountered these things before?

50 mm in height x 15mm diameter. 19/26 joints.

56546.PNG - 132kB Capture.PNG - 171kB r3434.PNG - 238kB

I assume it's some type of sampler or instrument vessel.

[Edited on 28-6-2020 by Eddie Current]
ekilsawkcalbeoj
Harmless

Mood: Energized Blob

[*] posted on 29-6-2020 at 09:59

How is the side vent finished?

I assume it's not a ground joint under there, so is it just like a rubber cap on a beaded tube or something else?

Beaded tubes I usually think of as for hoses.

Perhaps the vent goes to a hose to the vac pump to rapidly re-establish vacuum after draining the flask.

Since there's virtually no space for distillate to accumulate above the top valve (I'm assuming your condenser is a common style), it might be important to evacuate that flask quickly so you can start collecting distillate instead of it just running back into the boiling flask.

This is a hypothesis based entirely on what I see here. I haven't seen anything like it on a rotovap before.

EDIT: But here is what looks like a similarly functioning fitting:https://www.ebay.com/itm/USA-Lab-50L-Rotary-Evaporator-RotoVap-RE-1050-180-C-220V/401655360968?hash=item5d84866dc8:g:Zt0AAOSwIfFdufmN

The rotovaps I've looked at before were mostly ones I thought I might buy: cheap simple ones.

You've got a Ferrari and some of the parts just don't look like the ones on the Studebakers I've been looking at.

Okay, that picture didn't work, but this link should:

[Edited on 28-6-2020 by SWIM]

It's GL style glass threads similar to the GL14 barbs I have on the condenser, but much larger of an opening. The plastic I believe is PTFE. I think it's just a vent though, like you'd close the stopcock on the top, twist the vent slowly to release vacuum, then drain the flask at the bottom. I assume when drained, you'd slowly open the stopcock at the top and pull in a bunch of vapor from the condenser, which would probably be ok. But I'm no expert, these are just assumptions.

You're right though, just a hypothesis, again I've never seen anything like this before. I would also compare it to one of the receiver flasks you see on the industrial size rotavap's, but those often just have a drain and stopcock on the bottom, not the side vent and stopcock at the top. This is what's confusing me.

If it helps, I'm pretty sure the rotavap this was attached to was used for some kind of cannabis processing. There was some resin stuck to the glass when it arrived and the smell was kind of obvious. Also, the maker is Adams & Chittenden, and they only make custom glass to order, if you like unusual glassware, you should check out their gallery pages, there's some really cool stuff in there. I should probably ask them if they remember making it.
Eddie Current
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 29-6-2020 at 12:49

Quote: Originally posted by ekilsawkcalbeoj  
Also, the maker is Adams & Chittenden, and they only make custom glass to order, if you like unusual glassware, you should check out their gallery pages, there's some really cool stuff in there. I should probably ask them if they remember making it.

There's some amazing pieces in their collection.

A jacketed Vigreux is now on my "must get" list.:cool:
SWIM
National Hazard

[*] posted on 1-7-2020 at 19:34

https://www.ebay.com/itm/133406852719

Doesn't look like distillation apparatus to me.
Something for mixing gasses maybe?

mysteryglass.jpg - 301kB

[Edited on 2-7-2020 by SWIM]

nzlostpass
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 1-7-2020 at 20:03
NOONE ELSE NOTICE.........

Noone else notice the two skiers about to descend the ski slope scene in this piece?

I honestly thought that's what you would be showing us at first!

Quote: Originally posted by ekilsawkcalbeoj  

It's a receiving flask, but I'm not quite sure the purpose of the upper valve and side vent/cap. If it's for draining without breaking vacuum, I suspect I should vent carefully before draining?

I tried searching forever on the internet to find something like it so I could see what it was called or how it operated, but could never find one like it. :(

Junk_Enginerd
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 17-7-2020 at 12:14

Any ideas? Found it at a random yardsale for nothing. It's definitely borosilicate, so I assume it's a lab product.

20200714_204210.jpg - 2.5MB
Eddie Current
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 21-7-2020 at 23:33

Quote: Originally posted by Junk_Enginerd  
Any ideas? Found it at a random yardsale for nothing. It's definitely borosilicate, so I assume it's a lab product.

It's a bit hard to tell from that image. My guess is that it's some type of atomiser.
The Plutonium Bunny
Harmless

Mood: Fissile

[*] posted on 28-7-2020 at 11:41
"Soxhlet Extractor"

Does anyone have an idea what this piece is? I recently acquired it in a box labelled "Soxhlet Extractor", but it is rather unlike any Soxhlet I have seen before. There is no ground glass to be found on the whole thing. Additionally, one of the tubes is positioned such that it drips directly on the glass frit inside the chamber; the frit leads to another tube exiting the chamber. A final tube leads directly into the glass chamber. There are no obvious places for attaching a condenser of any kind.
It looks fancy (expensive), but I have no idea what useful purposes it might serve. Thank you for your help in its identification!

IMG_3597.JPG - 2.4MB IMG_3599.JPG - 2.3MB IMG_3598.JPG - 2.2MB

itsallgoodjames
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 11-10-2020 at 21:13

Quote: Originally posted by The Plutonium Bunny  
Does anyone have an idea what this piece is? I recently acquired it in a box labelled "Soxhlet Extractor", but it is rather unlike any Soxhlet I have seen before. There is no ground glass to be found on the whole thing. Additionally, one of the tubes is positioned such that it drips directly on the glass frit inside the chamber; the frit leads to another tube exiting the chamber. A final tube leads directly into the glass chamber. There are no obvious places for attaching a condenser of any kind.
It looks fancy (expensive), but I have no idea what useful purposes it might serve. Thank you for your help in its identification!

Just a total guess, maybe something for dissolving gasses in the solution? No clue what the other side tube is for though
 Pages:  1  ..  10    12    14  15

Go To Top