Printable Version  
Author: Subject: (need help) Chemistry in College/University
jjgoh
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 25-7-2014 at 07:59
(need help) Chemistry in College/University

Hello everyone,
I need some help with some chemistry courses. I need more information about course that under chemistry group. I'mturning to 18 and I need to decide which course I need to go with.

Here's some Information about me :
Very very mild color blind, can differentiate 80% colour but others light colour like blue and purple I can't differentiate. Due to this issue, before that I wanted to study pilot but I don't think so I can pass the first class medical checkup so I abort the dream
Very interestes in pyrotechnics and energetic material. I has 2 years and half into pyrotechnics.

I could not find any courses related to energetic material. I only found pure chemistry, inorganic chemistry, organic chemistry and etc

Thank you
DraconicAcid
International Hazard

Member Is Online

Mood: Semi-victorious.

[*] posted on 25-7-2014 at 08:11

I highly doubt that you will find any university offering courses dedicated to pyrotechnics. The pure chemistry courses will serve to give you the theoretical background you will need, though- general chemistry, inorganic, organic, physical. Analytical chemistry may give you trouble due to your colourblindness (my last analytical course was nicknamed "101 titrations", and I remember having to advise the colour-blind guy next to me in the lab as to when his stuff had changed colour).

Please remember: "Filtrate" is not a verb.
Write up your lab reports the way your instructor wants them, not the way your ex-instructor wants them.
Artemus Gordon
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 25-7-2014 at 09:43

Quote: Originally posted by DraconicAcid  
Analytical chemistry may give you trouble due to your colourblindness (my last analytical course was nicknamed "101 titrations", and I remember having to advise the colour-blind guy next to me in the lab as to when his stuff had changed colour).

<a href="http://www.cnet.com/news/dankam-smartphone-app-aids-the-color-blind/">Here</a> is an article about an app that I think would help with that situation.
AJKOER
Radically Dubious

[*] posted on 25-7-2014 at 15:37

In my opinion, forget about any science or field where color deficiency is a potential issue. It is, for one, a disclosure issue that could cost you (and possibly others) dearly later.

If you are good at and enjoy science generally, apply it in other disciplines than chemistry. For example, try engineering, economics, finance and insurance, which are all higher growth industries than chemistry offering more jobs, higher salaries, and better (safer and more comfortable) working conditions.

You can always still do safe chemistry as a hobby.
blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 26-7-2014 at 06:13

Quote: Originally posted by AJKOER  
In my opinion, forget about any science or field where color deficiency is a potential issue. It is, for one, a disclosure issue that could cost you (and possibly others) dearly later.

Ridiculous, not to mention potentially dangerous and reactionary claptrap! :mad:

There are very few reasons why someone with a mild vision impairment could NOT study science, chemistry included, and become a fully productive member of the scientific community.

Who else would you exclude? The deaf? The fully blind? Polio victims? Etc?

@Jigoh:

Go for it and drag anyone who tries to deny you access in front of a relevant tribunal for human rights violations. Don't forget to sue for damages too, if applicable...

[Edited on 26-7-2014 by blogfast25]

Mailinmypocket
International Hazard

[*] posted on 26-7-2014 at 06:18

I am quite colorblind and have huge issues distinguishing between tones of red, green and brown. It does have it's moments where it can be frustrating in the lab but overall I manage.

It actually pisses me off more that I have a hard time telling when meat is cooked enough! How often have I heard "umm that hamburger meat is not nearly done..." :)
blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 26-7-2014 at 06:24

Quote: Originally posted by Mailinmypocket  
It actually pisses me off more that I have a hard time telling when meat is cooked enough! How often have I heard "umm that hamburger meat is not nearly done..." :)

Use a temperature probe. Restaurants (for instance) are supposed to temperature sample cooked meats regularly, including 'grilled' meats, even by those who are visually 100 % enabled.

Pink burgers are to my taste. :D

DraconicAcid
International Hazard

Member Is Online

Mood: Semi-victorious.

[*] posted on 26-7-2014 at 07:37

Quote: Originally posted by AJKOER  

Yes, look what happened to poor Dalton.</sarcasm>

Please remember: "Filtrate" is not a verb.
Write up your lab reports the way your instructor wants them, not the way your ex-instructor wants them.
blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 26-7-2014 at 07:48

Quote: Originally posted by DraconicAcid  

Yes, look what happened to poor Dalton.</sarcasm>

Yes, but his theory would have been so much more advanced had he been able to see the colours of the atoms!

aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 26-7-2014 at 12:32

Ignore all of these answers jjgoh.

First : you can see your own Limitations. This is incredibly Good, and very Rare.
Second : you are Honest, which is Priceless.
Third : you ask Questions, which only leads to Knowledge.

Choose whichever course you feel you Want to do, and be more Confident in what you Can do.

It is Highly likely that there are many people doing Colour sensitive jobs who do not even Know that they are 50% colour-blind - including Pilots.

Hmm. Pilots. Sea or Sky ? Sea or Sky ? Fly towards the Blue one ...

blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 27-7-2014 at 03:25

Quote: Originally posted by aga  
Ignore all of these answers jjgoh.

Why, pray, tell?

jjgoh
Harmless

[*] posted on 27-7-2014 at 04:24

Thanks for all the comments , really appreciated .

Studying in college is not a problem , during internship or applying for a job might be nasty because it required medical checkup .

Some people said that its not a big deal of having colourblindness . all i have to do is look for 3 friends beside me and tel me the colour when performing experiment .

To be honest , nobody want to be involved in these problem . It's born to be . Trust me , nobody like this happen to themself .

I got two plans , if i cant go for pilot i would choose chemistry .

Thanks for the comment guys

[Edited on 27-7-2014 by jjgoh]

Go To Top