Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Sigma Aldrich
Kman100
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 11-1-2005 at 15:42
Sigma Aldrich

Hello,

I have a question regarding Sigma Aldrich (http://www.sigmaaldrich.com). I am an individual wishing to establish an account with them to purchase some chemicals.

Does anyone have any experience with them? If so, is it easy to obtain an account?

Thanks.
blazter
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 11-1-2005 at 15:45
good luck.

Heh heh, seems like I recall reading in an aldrich catalog that they would only do business with established businesses, and expressly stated that they would not sell to individuals. Now if one was to establish their own company, there may be a chance, but assume that any concerned governmental agency will probably get your name should you order from them.
HRH_Prince_Charles
Hazard to Self

Mood: Bombastic

[*] posted on 11-1-2005 at 15:56

If you do manage to order, please don't tell everyone how you did it. Thanks.

Loather of monstrous carbuncles, lover of organic melons and servant girls.
Nuke_Dukem
Harmless

Mood: Faggy

[*] posted on 11-1-2005 at 16:47

Dont bother with them. German and other european places are better. Like lancaster, pfaltz bauer, alfa aesar, elf etc etc . Just give them a name of some fake university. You can order pretty much anything.

W00t!
Kman100
Harmless

[*] posted on 11-1-2005 at 18:15

Thanks for all the tips.

Nuke, why are European places better? Also, I was already thinking of making up a fake business name, but the university idea sounds good.

Is it okay to do this? Will they do a check to make sure this "fake university" exists?

Anyone have experience with creating a fake organization (business or university) to obtain an account w/ a professional chemical supply co.?
Thanks all.
HNO3
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 11-1-2005 at 18:22

I get all my catalogs under the name Superior Research Intstitute. Sure hope that isn't a real business. Anyway if you feel like it, sent me an email and I'll asign you a branch number.:P Hey, why not?

\"In the beginning, God...\" Wait a minute, God doesn\'t exist!!!!!!!!!! \"OK, in the beginning, ummm, hydrogen...\" Wait a minute, what about the laws of thermodynamics? \"OK, in the beginning, ummm.....UMMMMM, what\'s left to choose from?
Kman100
Harmless

[*] posted on 11-1-2005 at 18:27

Heh, I sent you an e-mail boss.

I hope to be receiving my branch number shortly.

I'll have the reports on your desk by Friday.
HNO3
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 11-1-2005 at 19:46

Sorry haven't tried Fischer:(. I have gotten a catalog from Alfa Aesar, no problem. I got a catalog but couldn't order from Spectrum Chemicals do to other problems (credit card, DEA number, tax number, etc:mad:). And as to those reports...
OOPS! umm, could you give me an address so I can keep track of all my "branches"? No, I couldn't care less, but if someone thinks I'm making drugs... *shudders violently, falls over dead* Other than that, you are now officially SRI Branch #2.:D

\"In the beginning, God...\" Wait a minute, God doesn\'t exist!!!!!!!!!! \"OK, in the beginning, ummm, hydrogen...\" Wait a minute, what about the laws of thermodynamics? \"OK, in the beginning, ummm.....UMMMMM, what\'s left to choose from?
Nuke_Dukem
Harmless

[*] posted on 12-1-2005 at 05:18

European places are better because theyre out of the DEA's jurisdiction. Even here in canada a person would have no problem buying some chemicals that if bought in the USA would raise a red flag. Even real chemists who have legitimate buisnesses get the third degree from sigma, having to answer all kinds of curious questions and fill out DEA forms.

W00t!
Cloner
Hazard to Others

Mood: apocalyptic

[*] posted on 12-1-2005 at 07:59

So, you pretend to be an institute and that's it? We've got tax numbers in the netherlands which institutes and businesses have, but private persons don't. I can imagine though that an american company has never heard of the tax number. Since it goes with purchase orders most of the time, it's not that easy to fake stuff, although I could think of ways. In the end it all boils down to someone having your adress, and you receiving a package there. It surprises me that there aren't any problems when the customs office check on the package...
Nuke_Dukem
Harmless

[*] posted on 12-1-2005 at 09:01

Ive never had a problem with customs, I have ordered stuff from pfaultz and bauer and ABCR.de several times and have never been hassled with ID numbers or anything like that. They always ask what buisness I am from and I tell them that im a chemistry student at [Blank] university and they get my shipping address and give me a quote and its as simple as that. I havent had a problem yet.

W00t!
Kman100
Harmless

[*] posted on 12-1-2005 at 11:36

Pfaltz and Bauer seems to be my favorite choice out of the companies I've looked at. They have a huge inventory and carry alkali metals, which is great. They'll even do a custom synthesis for you.

I'm in the US and the customs can be strict sometimes, due to terrorism etc.

I mean, I just hope a thing as innocuous as Copper Sulfate won't get me flagged down for making bombs, hehe.

Oh well, I'm going to call and try to establish an account.

HNO3, what kind of address due you want me to send you? :)
Kman100
Harmless

[*] posted on 12-1-2005 at 11:38

Hmm, I was just looking at their site.

Pfaltz and Bauer is located in Connecticut?
unionised
International Hazard

[*] posted on 12-1-2005 at 13:57

Just to complicate the story...
At work a few weeks back I needed some (fairly obscure and toxic) chemical and it was in aldrich's catalogue so I ordered it. They rang me up to tell me that it was only available in the USA. I asked why it was in the UK catalogue and they told me that the rules had changed recently.
HNO3
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 12-1-2005 at 14:33

Country, city, street, name. *Boy, this will be a good way to get everyones addresses*:P
Maybe we could have random remailers, too. So like some one could order through a "branch" and then the "branch" could remail it to the person who wanted it in the first place.
Eliteforum
National Hazard

Mood: Enjoying the journey

[*] posted on 13-1-2005 at 02:54

Quote:
Originally posted by HNO3
I get all my catalogs under the name Superior Research Intstitute. Sure hope that isn't a real business. Anyway if you feel like it, sent me an email and I'll asign you a branch number.:P Hey, why not?

Hehe! My "Company" is called PreLim Research! What's the rest of yours?

All that glitters isn't gold.
fvcked
Harmless

Mood: Groggy

[*] posted on 13-1-2005 at 02:59

So wait, you just order the chems and plug in a fake company, and tell them to send the chems to where?

Oh bubble trumps!
Eliteforum
National Hazard

Mood: Enjoying the journey

[*] posted on 13-1-2005 at 05:21

Anywhere that's not your house!

All that glitters isn't gold.
Joeychemist
Hazard to Others

Mood: Sedated

[*] posted on 13-1-2005 at 05:52

I paid $150 CAN to get the business license so my company is registered and perfectly legal if they try and look it up.;):D
Magpie
lab constructor

Mood: Chemistry: the subtle science.

[*] posted on 13-1-2005 at 19:09
getting a business license

There is a thread on this subject on this board somewhere. Getting a license seems like a good idea but I had some reservations. One is, would you have to describe your activities in detail to the municipality issuing said license? If you did you would likely be disqualified because your residence was not zoned for chem lab activities, waste disposal, etc. Another concern is do you have to file a tax return? I believe it was Hermes who noted that the IRS is much more likely than the DEA to get in your shorts bigtime if everything isn't kosher moneywise.

The single most important condition for a successful synthesis is good mixing - Nicodem
Cloner
Hazard to Others

Mood: apocalyptic

[*] posted on 14-1-2005 at 04:47

Quote:
Originally posted by Eliteforum
Anywhere that's not your house!

I have gotten so far. Though I am only using a friends adress with some reservations and certainly not for ordering dangerous stuff:D

If there are commercial places that offer the option of package reception though...
Mendeleev
Hazard to Others

Mood: stoned

[*] posted on 14-1-2005 at 05:54

I can't believe the fake business thing works. I would have thought that the chem companies would have checked something like that.
guaguanco
Hazard to Others

Mood: heterocyclic

[*] posted on 14-1-2005 at 10:46

Quote:
Originally posted by Mendeleev
I can't believe the fake business thing works. I would have thought that the chem companies would have checked something like that.

It doesn't, really. These people aren't stupid, and have to answer to the DEA like anyone else.
Probably if you limit your orders things like Potassium Sulphate and pH paper, they aren't going to expend a lot of resources to track you down: you just look like any other customer. Methylamine Hydrochloride is a different story.
Exploring the boundaries of what is safe or unsafe to order could be exciting. Every knock on your door gives you a blast of adrenline.

[Edited on 14-1-2005 by guaguanco]
The_Davster
A pnictogen

Mood: .

[*] posted on 14-1-2005 at 12:56

Quote:
Originally posted by guaguanco
Every knock on your door gives you a blast of adrenline.

[Edited on 14-1-2005 by guaguanco]

I know what that is like. Many years ago when I was just getting into chemistry/pyro, I made the mistake of ordering KNO3, S8, C all from the same supplier in the same order, and it was not a pyro supplier, it was a real scientific company. They know my name, adress everything:(. I am afraid that will come back to haunt me some day.:(...

Out of curiosity, how many of you order chems to your real name, and home adress?

[Edited on 14-1-2005 by rogue chemist]

rift valley
Hazard to Others

Mood: semiconducting

[*] posted on 14-1-2005 at 13:56

You're afrid they'll come after you for odering the components of black powder? I have wanted to buy some nitric acid for some time now (not intended for explosives) is this not a bright idea? I was planning on buying say a liter of 70%
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top