[*] posted on 1-11-2021 at 15:56

https://www.youtube.com/c/ExtractionsIre/videos

/CJ

Being well adjusted to a sick society is no measure of one's mental health
draculic acid69
International Hazard

[*] posted on 11-4-2022 at 01:46

Quote: Originally posted by not_important  
p-dichlorobenzene + AlCl3 gives mostly a mix of the dichlorobenzene isomers, the chlorines seem happy to hop about on the ring but don't like to jump rings. Careful fractionation of the mix might be able to remove benzene, I've not tried that as several reports stated no ring jumping for Cl although Br has been stated to ring jump.

If the mixed dichlorobenzene isomers are cooled so the much of the para isomer freezes out, the ramaing mix is a useful not-too-reactive solvent.

I know this is an old thread but I'm interested in this mention of
chlorine jumping around on the ring and turning 1,4 dcb into
1,2&1,3dcb is great news if true. If anyone has any experience or
information about the moving around of halogens on the ring please
enlighten me.
MrDoctor
Harmless

[*] posted on 10-8-2022 at 04:39

I am curious, has anyone ever actually succeeded in using HCl bubbled into toluene with Al+AlCl3?
I have heard 2 claims, firstly that this yields benzene, among other things, and the other, that this yields AlCl3, even if not in quantities alone that justify the reaction as a low temperature route to produce AlCl3.

Frankly it seems too good to be true, that you can have nice cheap benzene AND you end up with more AlCl3 than you started with.

Where i live, benzoate is getting less obtainable for cheap, and more and more industrial chemicals are being pulled from the shelves or their sale is being restricted to businesses/business entities only. a little while ago i had to jump through several hoops just to obtain 50 grams of crystal violet for running a gram stain.

Otherwise the route i had thought of taking would be catalytic oxidation of toluene in a heated quartz tube with vanadium and other metal oxide catalyst. One paper of interest was "Oxidation of Toluene to Benzoic Acid Catalyzed by Modified Vanadium Oxide" Iraqi Journal of Chemical and Petroleum Engineering, Vol.15 No.1 (March 2014) 73- 77

playing around with different mixtures of vanadium, molybdenum and cobalt seems to be able to shift the conversion in favor of benzene sometimes, as does changing the reaction temperature and steam content. Other papers have described greater benzene selectivity, but they require unreasonably high pressure, or unobtainable catalysts, like uranium.
Mateo_swe
National Hazard

[*] posted on 17-10-2022 at 02:11

The sodium benzoate and NaOH method works very good and is the only method i have tried.
For me its enough to make the small amount of benzene i might need.
As benzene is not the healthiest of compounds its usually not used in more modern preparations.
So if you need just a smaller amount, i would do the benzoate/NaOH method.
And 1kg of sodium benzoate on ebay is about 22 Euros, not very expensive.
Texium
Administrator

Mood: PhD candidate!

[*] posted on 17-10-2022 at 09:27

I use benzene regularly in my research, as the solvent for a radical bromination with NBS/benzoyl peroxide. It still shines in that application, since other common solvents are reactive to radicals.

Come check out the Official Sciencemadness Wiki
They're not really active right now, but here's my YouTube channel and my blog.
Keras
National Hazard

[*] posted on 17-10-2022 at 10:11

Quote: Originally posted by Texium  
I use benzene regularly in my research, as the solvent for a radical bromination with NBS/benzoyl peroxide. It still shines in that application, since other common solvents are reactive to radicals.

Interesting. I have a litre of pure benzene, might use it to try anti-markovnikov additions to double bonds. Anything handier than NBS and benzoyl peroxide? Would HBr with peroxyacetic acid work?
 Pages:  1  ..  12    14

Go To Top