Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  5    7
Author: Subject: The Forum Has Been Hacked
MrHomeScientist
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 19-8-2014 at 05:26

I got a message on YouTube from someone trying to register a new account here, but is unable to do so. He says he never received a confirmation email after registering. His account name is Trifaziux.

I thought this might be related to the blocking of accounts from the hacking attempt, so I posted this here. Any idea what might be going on?
Zyklon-A
International Hazard

Mood: Fluorine radical

[*] posted on 19-8-2014 at 05:52

MrHomeScientist , did you read this?
Quote: Originally posted by Zyklon-A  
Quote: Originally posted by Dornier 335A  

Anyway, a guy commented on one of my videos saying he wasn't able to register. Is that function blocked?
And are there still frozen members?

No, apparently there have been problems with registering for a while.
For instance, I wanted another account, but was enable to register one for some reason.
Also, a member from another forum (that I was messaging) tried to register (I suggested him to) and he was unable as well.
I contacted Polverone, asking if we had done something wrong. He said:
Quote:

No, he didn't do anything wrong, it's just that a lot of mail providers still block all of our outgoing mail as spam since spammers temporarily took over our mail server last year. He will have to wait until the 24 hours are up, then tell him to register using a free account from mailinator.com and switch his password and email address after he's able to log in for the first time. Don't worry, mailinator doesn't require registration.

The member did the above, and it worked, so you could tell the guy who commented on your video that.

MrHomeScientist
International Hazard

[*] posted on 19-8-2014 at 06:33

I did see that but had forgotten about it, whoops. I'll pass that along.
energetic.material
Harmless

[*] posted on 19-8-2014 at 08:38

I had some trouble signing in a couple weeks ago. I emailed woolen and he reset my password. No problems since.
DrAldehyde
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 19-8-2014 at 13:44

Brain&Force, that equation under your mood crashes my computer. I have been experimenting, with the problem. If you (B&F) have a post on the page I'm on, it locks up my tablet with the "typesetting math 100%" box remaing in the lower left. If there are no B&F posts on the page, all is fine. Just FYI, for the site admin, the workaround for me is simple. Carry on.
Mr_Magnesium
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 19-8-2014 at 15:42

It is really nice to be back!

Thank you to everyone that helped me get my account back,
forgotpassword
Harmless

[*] posted on 22-8-2014 at 04:17

I'm happy you retrieved your account and I'd like to apologise to you aswell, I posted nonsense on your account.
An update, I am still working, I don't know as much PHP as I used to and am learning up on it.
I have a lot of school work that is important, I need to get prepared as it's starting up in a week.

I'd like to take this opportunity to say that Polverone,

[Edited on 22-8-2014 by forgotpassword]
DrAldehyde
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 22-8-2014 at 11:19

Quote: Originally posted by DrAldehyde  
Brain&Force, that equation under your mood crashes my computer. I have been experimenting, with the problem. If you (B&F) have a post on the page I'm on, it locks up my tablet with the "typesetting math 100%" box remaing in the lower left. If there are no B&F posts on the page, all is fine. Just FYI, for the site admin, the workaround for me is simple. Carry on.

All of my problems were solved by switching away from Chrome. Equations are displaying, no crashing, java activated, I'm good to go. I should have figured that one out sooner.
The Volatile Chemist
International Hazard

Mood: Copious

[*] posted on 3-9-2014 at 12:21

Yea, I'm not too fond of chrome. Does anyone know if this is the first time this forum has been attacked/hacked/tested in this manner?

Brain&Force
Hazard to Lanthanides

Mood: Incommensurately modulated

[*] posted on 3-9-2014 at 12:23

It's been hacked once before by some dude who was sockpuppeting accounts and accessing their passwords. It was a long time ago.

At the end of the day, simulating atoms doesn't beat working with the real things...
The Volatile Chemist
International Hazard

[*] posted on 3-9-2014 at 13:58

But that's it? Well, that's pretty great for how long this has been here, and how much traffic it gets.

numos
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 13-9-2014 at 13:15

Well its nice to be back, but I do have a couple concerns I wish to share.

First, thank you everyone for so quickly finding the problem, I suppose that's the only reason I'm back here.

But while I was hacked I was unaware of it, I thought I had been banned or something of the sorts, and I also realized how difficult it is to contact SM externally. This is just a suggestion but I think SM would benefit from a "contact us" email. maybe a messaging system similar to how some companies get quotes? Like the registration page, give name, email, subject and leave a message.

I'm guessing this was partly realized when ZTS used the wiki as a form of contact, but I didn't find this thread until about a week ago, and for the greater part of the month I thought I had sleepwalked and posted something about psychoactives and then was banned.

arkoma
Redneck Overlord

Mood: украї́нська

[*] posted on 17-9-2014 at 13:03

Quote: Originally posted by numos  
I thought I had sleepwalked and posted something about psychoactives and then was banned.

In my experience, that ain't sufficient reason tobe banned here, admonished MAYBE, banned, no.

Anyhow,how is manifest doing on the road to redemption? I've been on a (psychoactive) "vacation" LMFAO

"We believe the knowledge and cultural heritage of mankind should be accessible to all people around the world, regardless of their wealth, social status, nationality, citizenship, etc" z-lib

packetforger
Harmless

Mood: Condensing

[*] posted on 18-9-2014 at 13:58

Just a wild guess, but someone potentially exploited (maliciously) an XSS vulnerability (there are several in the boards software, like the ability to embed <b>html</b> (I was going to use a script tag again there to illustrate the issue, but decided against it to avoid rising tensions. See the "testing forum features" thread where I discuss that threat) to hijack sessions and suchlike.

If the administrators want, someone here could probably arrange to get the site audited sometime for flaws. I would offer, but would need to have a long chat with work about extra-curricular activity and the legalities of all the things.

Anyway, total douchebag move on whomsoevers part that did this.
Brain&Force
Hazard to Lanthanides

Mood: Incommensurately modulated

[*] posted on 18-9-2014 at 15:10

Polverone noted that it was a CSRF vulnerability exploited by a hidden iframe. The kid who wrote the exploit (Manifest) is currently patching it.

At the end of the day, simulating atoms doesn't beat working with the real things...
packetforger
Harmless

Mood: Condensing

[*] posted on 18-9-2014 at 23:50

Quote: Originally posted by Brain&Force  
Polverone noted that it was a CSRF vulnerability exploited by a hidden iframe. The kid who wrote the exploit (Manifest) is currently patching it.

Dare I suggest we disable HTML posting as well as enabling the CSRF protections to prevent this kind of exploit from happening in future? The easiest vector to get a CSRF payload into a users browser is probably to embed an invisible iFrame via a HTML posting sent via forum post or (possibly) U2U message.

Still, at least the kid is helping to fix it. I know when I was an idiotic youngun I probably would have not been so mature as to go help fix the problem!
lullu
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 19-9-2014 at 03:15

I would recommend using noscript when browsing this board.
plante1999
International Hazard

Mood: Mad as a hatter

[*] posted on 19-9-2014 at 13:58

I got Hacked (again) My email adresse and birthdate have been changed, or so I think.
The Volatile Chemist
International Hazard

[*] posted on 21-9-2014 at 11:07

Really? Sure about that?

plante1999
International Hazard

Mood: Mad as a hatter

[*] posted on 21-9-2014 at 11:19

Not 100%, I may have forgot to change my info back, but there was a weird email and the famous 1980 birth year.
Argentum
Harmless

Mood: UV light

[*] posted on 25-9-2014 at 12:23

Something strange

As I read in a polverone's post, it looks like manifest (the hacker) posted a link in a post in this forum, and that triggered something and the ones who clicked that link were stolen

I just entered in Chemistry in General section and I saw a post with a japanese name. I opened it and I saw a text in japanese too. I translated that text and, well, nothing about chemistry. Google translate did not really helped a lot, but it looks like a story about clocks or something like that. And the text is full of japanese links, that's why I remembered this.

Ah, the user registered yesterday (24-09-2014) and this is his only post is this. His name is "cfgJqLpmNdc", I think it does not mean anything in any language.

Maybe it was a strange joke...
Texium
Administrator

Member Is Online

Mood: PhD candidate!

[*] posted on 25-9-2014 at 13:44

Quote: Originally posted by Argentum  
Something strange

As I read in a polverone's post, it looks like manifest (the hacker) posted a link in a post in this forum, and that triggered something and the ones who clicked that link were stolen

I just entered in Chemistry in General section and I saw a post with a japanese name. I opened it and I saw a text in japanese too. I translated that text and, well, nothing about chemistry. Google translate did not really helped a lot, but it looks like a story about clocks or something like that. And the text is full of japanese links, that's why I remembered this.

Ah, the user registered yesterday (24-09-2014) and this is his only post is this. His name is "cfgJqLpmNdc", I think it does not mean anything in any language.

Maybe it was a strange joke...
That would be a spam post. They don't appear as often as they used to before the automatic deletion code was implemented, but they still slip through occasionally. They're basically harmless. If you see one, report it, and don't click on their links or reply to the post.

Come check out the Official Sciencemadness Wiki
They're not really active right now, but here's my YouTube channel and my blog.
NOV:5
Harmless

Mood: Moodless

[*] posted on 15-10-2014 at 18:01

That.....was.....flicking......beautiful....

Polverone, to track a guy back to Northern Ireland and expose his entire kit, and come within a hair of getting a picture of his face.. Wow.. Very nicely done.

Remember, Remember...
diddi
National Hazard

Mood: Fluorescent

[*] posted on 15-10-2014 at 19:02

could this be part of the problem with disappearing member accounts?

is there a lockout policy if password is entered incorrectly? I haven't checked to see. the icloud hack was due to a brute force attack cos there was no lockout policy.

[Edited on 16-10-2014 by diddi]
j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 15-10-2014 at 21:27

Disappearing accounts like yours and mine are a separate issue. Malfunctioning script that was supposed to autodelet spam. Polverone said he fixed the bug and apologised.

Registration issues are another. I tried to register several times over a space of a couple of months before I finally got in. Not sure what the issue was then.

Hacking is a third issue and spam a fourth. Nothing much to add here.
 Pages:  1  ..  5    7

Go To Top