Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Another nail in the coffin of home chemistry (UK)
zenosx
Hazard to Others

Mood: Awaiting Results....

[*] posted on 2-10-2014 at 18:39

This really sucks for people in the EU.. but WGTR at least practices what I preach in my meth riddled state of the US (My state was #1 for Methamphetamine production for the last two years!).. Yea that's the south for you... In return I keep logs, not only of every single reaction carried out in my lab, but sometimes photos of those reactions, and a full lab inventory of every chemical, including amounts, when it was received, when it was used, the amount remaining, products recovered, etc. My intent is that if the DA ever wants to get involved in my life, I can show the judge and jury to the date and time, exactly what happened, what was used and what was the intended (or unintended) outcome. I even have bright red exclamations in my lab books for reactions that could even "possibly" result in illegal substances on even micro-gram amounts. While It might not help, I at least hope that a legal team, and jury can see that I was not in the game to produce illegal substances or explosives....While I am not keenly aware of the ways that the EU laws work, keeping accurate logs, and working a professional type setting in your home lab could be the difference between prison time and hand-shakes later.

A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?

Albert Einstein
WChase501
Harmless

Mood: Depressed and Happy

[*] posted on 10-10-2014 at 13:40

:D
macckone
International Hazard

Mood: Electrical

[*] posted on 10-10-2014 at 14:20

That really sucks for UK home chemists.
You can apparently get 2 years for possession of greater
than 3% nitric acid regardless of what you are using it for.
You really have to have a license for anything approaching
usable nitric acid.
Little_Ghost_again
National Hazard

Mood: Baffled

[*] posted on 18-10-2014 at 09:41

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but came to light friday for us. Dad via his own company ordered hydrogen peroxide 32% over the phone. He has an account with the company, while on the phone (they have his details on file) they woman asked what he was using it for, he mentioned something to do with enzymes and liver tissue.
Apparently when he filled the due diligence form in he didnt put that use on it. So they refused to sell it!
Apparently you can only use it for the things you have listed on the diligence form!
Also you cant use terms like general reagent!! So if caught using it for a reason not on your file you can be prosecuted. What is a worry is that Dad was ordering for a limited company! not as a single person with a license.
They also mentioned there is too be a big shake up next year with 30 other common chemicals added
NOV:5
Harmless

Mood: Moodless

[*] posted on 18-10-2014 at 11:52

The slippery slope.. I've copied sections from the "homeowners" document. Bolded some of the troubling bits. Lotsa room for for the short little nazi that's having a rotten day pass some of it on. Or for the government to just withhold and not bother to even explain why.

If free people don't stop this sort of legislation now it will quickly spread. Already the trend in the states is to acclimate people to a quasi-military police force that points automatic weapons at unarmed bystanders just because. MRRAPS rumbling down neighborhood streets carring camouflage uniformed police with bulletproof armor busting through every opening of the neighbors house...

Do I need to prove why I need to use regulated chemicals?

The Home Office licensing unit will pay particular regard to the intended use of the substances when reaching their decision. Conditions may be placed on the maximum concentration or

What suitability checks will you carry out?

The licensing team will consider your criminal record and any mental health issues that could pose a risk to yourself or the public. The team will also consider the legitimacy of the intended use of the chemicals.

How does the Home Office (licensing authority) assess whether a person is fit to acquire, possess or use regulated substances?

The licensing team will consider your criminal record, and other information held by the police and relevant partners and any mental health issues that could pose a risk to yourself or the public. They will also consider the suitability of the intended use of the chemicals.

How will I be notified of the decision?

If your application is successful, you will receive a letter telling you and your licence will be posted separately.

In the overwhelming majority of cases, if your application is unsuccessful and it is because of one of the following reasons:

 The information you provided is incomplete;

 There has been an abuse of process, for example, you have provided false information;

The licensing team are of the opinion that another substance or lower concentration of

the regulated substance is more appropriate for your intended use;

 You have been convicted of an offence that presented a risk to your own safety or the

safety of the public; or

 You have a recent history of mental issues that presented a risk to your own safety or the

safety of the public
you will be informed of the decision by post and told the reason behind it.

There will be some occasions where, due to sensitivities relating to information held by the police or relevant partners, a full reason or, on rare occasions, any reason will not be provided.

[Edited on 18-10-2014 by NOV:5]

Remember, Remember...
careysub
International Hazard

Mood: Lowest quantum state

[*] posted on 18-10-2014 at 12:43

Quote: Originally posted by zenosx  
This really sucks for people in the EU.. but WGTR at least practices what I preach in my meth riddled state of the US (My state was #1 for Methamphetamine production for the last two years!).. .

Missouri?

Not any more.

Apparently Missouri is now number 3, behind Indiana and Tennessee.

http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/crime-and-courts/missouri...
zenosx
Hazard to Others

Mood: Awaiting Results....

[*] posted on 19-10-2014 at 17:31

Wow. That Just Sucks. I'm sorry for you guys over there....

A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?

Albert Einstein
TheAlchemistPirate
Hazard to Others

Mood: Enigmatic

[*] posted on 19-10-2014 at 22:00

I actually live in indiana, nearby the biggest drug county in the state. Other than not being able to buy many essential chemicals, having my family's tax dollars wasted, and the local police force less available to stop actual crimes, the "war" on drugs hasn't really affected me.

"Is this even science anymore?!"
The Volatile Chemist
International Hazard

Mood: Copious

[*] posted on 20-10-2014 at 16:34

Haha, pennsylvania's up there too, but I don't live there. Too bad, it's a pretty cool state otherwise.
I don't know about the US adopting such procedure, but if they do, I'll be one of the first to try to convince them otherwise. I'm sure Arkoma will be up there with me too :)

Pages:  1    3

Go To Top