Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  
Author: Subject: Bickford fuse style home made detonating cord experiment
Hennig Brand
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 22-10-2014 at 07:51

Very nice indeed. I am not that much into art, but I can see how this would have a lot of appeal from an artistic perspective.

"A risk-free world is a very dull world, one from which we are apt to learn little of consequence." -Geerat Vermeij
Rosco Bodine
Banned

Mood: analytical

[*] posted on 22-10-2014 at 09:50

The art and science of amateur experimentalism :)
Laboratory of Liptakov
International Hazard

Mood: cool.gif

[*] posted on 22-10-2014 at 11:32
Thanks

Thanks

thanks.jpg - 19kB
specialactivitieSK
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 23-10-2014 at 00:03

Nice golden hue should have, brass plate.
Nice colors should have with heat treated steel sheet.
Interesting would be, copy of images generated with 3D printer and print in sheet metal as detonography.
Laboratory of Liptakov
International Hazard

[*] posted on 23-10-2014 at 06:58
Small goods.

Annealed copper 0.55 mm, distance 50 mm, 12 g NM gelatin, water udder. This set goes to a mechanical press. An attempt was made because: It is necessary to determine the possibilities detonography. The greatest effect is natural leaves, corn and the like.
LL

galanterie.jpg - 674kB

[Edited on 24-10-2014 by Laboratory of Liptakov]
Laboratory of Liptakov
International Hazard

[*] posted on 24-10-2014 at 11:11
test

Copper 0,55x60x90, water medium distance 60, NM gelatine booster 7g.
LL

The Fern.jpg - 428kB
markx
National Hazard

Mood: Very Jolly

[*] posted on 24-10-2014 at 13:07

Ahh...exquicite work!! I take a deep bow to your choice of test object. I have always been facinated by ferns. Primordial entities, primitive, yet so perfect and compelling in their form. There is a legend in my country about the mysterious and elusive fern blossom...a rare occasion of wonder that is believed to accompany the brief passing of midsummers nights when Dusk and Dawn meet to embrace each other for a brief moment to express their undying and everlasting love for each other and then venture apart again for another year to be separated by the dark void of night. It is said that the one who finds the fern blossom in this magical moment may make any wish and it will be granted. And so young people, who still belive in wonders, venture into the forest to look for this elusive cause at every midsummer celebration. I do not know of any who have found the elusive wishgranting blossom, but I do know of many who have found strenght in the idea to make their dreams and wishes come true. I hope that people always keep looking for the wonders around them....for once you close your eyes to the magic, it is forever lost and so with it all the dreams that could lay ahead.

Exact science is a figment of imagination.......
specialactivitieSK
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 24-10-2014 at 21:56

Laboratory of Liptakov :

Interesting to test would be Non-Newtonian fluid ( corn starch and water )

Laboratory of Liptakov
International Hazard

[*] posted on 25-10-2014 at 00:17
Detonography

Markx: Fern is fascinating, has a very fine structure.
For SK: That's a very interesting idea. Non-Newtonian Fluid / Cornstarch and water. When used as a dense mass of dough. Gips and water work. Cornstarch Watergel (non explosive of course) will be better. Very good idea. Or any other kind of dough. Maybe dough of wheat flour. (Girlfriend will kill me)
Markx: You would have to try out the dough ...:D
LL
Laboratory of Liptakov
International Hazard

[*] posted on 25-10-2014 at 08:05
detonography

My home page has pyroforum.org 10th anniversary of its existence. Laboratory of Liptakov printed detonography plaque.
LL

10 PF.jpg - 555kB
Laboratory of Liptakov
International Hazard

[*] posted on 30-10-2014 at 00:26
detonography

Dry grass field for detonography good material.
LL

grass.jpg - 273kB
Laboratory of Liptakov
International Hazard

[*] posted on 15-1-2015 at 07:41
detonography

And here I attach the phone application Evelin...:cool:...LL

pro sm.jpg - 613kB
dangerous amateur
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 15-1-2015 at 11:45

Very nice.

Can you explain how your NM gelatin is made?

I have NM and I'd like to have something to cast in shape that's not so liquid.
Bert
Super Administrator

Mood: " I think we are all going to die. I think that love is an illusion. We are flawed, my darling".

[*] posted on 15-1-2015 at 12:29

This?

http://www.google.com/patents/US2338120

Nitroglycerin with at least 15% nitromethane, the NM de-sensitizes the NG and lowers freezing temperature- Then gel with nitrocellulose and use to make various dynamites as usual, of course accounting for reduction in Oxygen.

Rapopart’s Rules for critical commentary:

1. Attempt to re-express your target’s position so clearly, vividly and fairly that your target says: “Thanks, I wish I’d thought of putting it that way.”
2. List any points of agreement (especially if they are not matters of general or widespread agreement).
3. Mention anything you have learned from your target.
4. Only then are you permitted to say so much as a word of rebuttal or criticism.

Anatol Rapoport was a Russian-born American mathematical psychologist (1911-2007).

Laboratory of Liptakov
International Hazard

[*] posted on 15-1-2015 at 14:40
nitromethane gelatin

Nitromethane gelatin: NM 81% + NC2 15% (cont.12,4%N) + 3% Al (use silver flakes for color, no dark german, no spheric) + 1% microballoons. It is better to use not NC2, but gunpowder containing nitroglycerin. In this case gelatin is extremely dense, like jelly. All components, their representation can vary widely. For example, Aluminium 3-20%, NC 6-18, microballons 0,5- 3%. Initiation No.8-10. Attention, gelatin is rapidly losing nitromethane content. Within a few hours. The charge must be gas tight. Hermetically sealed...:cool:...LL
NeonPulse
Hazard to Others

Mood: Isolated from Reality! For Real this time....

[*] posted on 15-1-2015 at 17:48

Quote: Originally posted by dangerous amateur  
Very nice.

Can you explain how your NM gelatin is made?

I have NM and I'd like to have something to cast in shape that's not so liquid.

Try this article. the composition described within is probably just what you are looking for. i have tested it myself and found it to be quite satisfactory, especially with added metals both aluminium powder and titanium powder which produced a rather thermobaric like effect.

Attachment: AD0595291(1).pdf (2MB)
This file has been downloaded 641 times

Where there is a will
there is a way.

AllCheMystery!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWbbidIY4v57uczsl0Fgv7w?vie...
Bert
Super Administrator

Mood: " I think we are all going to die. I think that love is an illusion. We are flawed, my darling".

[*] posted on 15-1-2015 at 18:39

PLX variant made with 5% ethylenediamine sensitizer and 5% a cab-o-sil type thickener?

The PDF refers to the thickener as "Code #1". And mentions several other products as code #2, code #3...

I've access to several types of fumed silica, used for thickening resin, as a bulking and anti caking agent in powders, etc. Manufacturers categorizes them by several characteristics-

Any clue what type/manufacturer's designation the mysterious "code #1" might be?

1. Attempt to re-express your target’s position so clearly, vividly and fairly that your target says: “Thanks, I wish I’d thought of putting it that way.”
2. List any points of agreement (especially if they are not matters of general or widespread agreement).
4. Only then are you permitted to say so much as a word of rebuttal or criticism.

Anatol Rapoport was a Russian-born American mathematical psychologist (1911-2007).

Bert
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 15-1-2015 at 18:54

Quote: Originally posted by Laboratory of Liptakov  
Nitromethane gelatin: NM 81% + NC2 15% (cont.12,4%N) + 3% Al (use silver flakes for color, no dark german, no spheric) + 1% microballoons. It is better to use not NC2, but gunpowder containing nitroglycerin. In this case gelatin is extremely dense, like jelly. All components, their representation can vary widely. For example, Aluminium 3-20%, NC 6-18, microballons 0,5- 3%. Initiation No.8-10. Attention, gelatin is rapidly losing nitromethane content. Within a few hours. The charge must be gas tight. Hermetically sealed...:cool:...LL

How is sensitivity at temperatures down to -30C? Does this detonate when frozen, -29.2 is NM's freeze point.

Which type of microballoons- Plastic? Glass?

Laboratory of Liptakov
International Hazard

[*] posted on 15-1-2015 at 22:40

Sensitivity at -30˚C? No tested. Tested only -5 C, full det. Laboratory of Liptakov not above the Arctic Circle. Fortunately. Glass microballoons, 125 g / liter, standard for epoxy filler.
http://www.havel-composites.com/shop/0-home/129-Mikrobalony-...
...:cool:...LL

[Edited on 16-1-2015 by Laboratory of Liptakov]
NeonPulse
Hazard to Others

Mood: Isolated from Reality! For Real this time....

[*] posted on 16-1-2015 at 00:01

not too sure what code 1 may be. It could be any number of things. It would have to be something cheap since they wanted to blanket mine feilds with the stuff. I tested it using nitrocellulose as the gelling agent and it suspended the metal powders nicely which was all i aimed to do in that instance. Although fumed silica would probably work well i did not want to add inert ingredients other than the aluminium/titanium powders for that particular test

Where there is a will
there is a way.

AllCheMystery!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWbbidIY4v57uczsl0Fgv7w?vie...
Bert
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 16-1-2015 at 13:41

The description of use looks like hydrophilic fumed silica, 5% is a typical ratio for gelling liquids.

The chemical analysis looks... Like diatomaceous earth? The variability of composition (and low price, if they were going to blanket whole fields with it) makes me think it's a natural product.

Beyond that, there's probably other candidates I have not thought of.

image.jpg - 93kB

Laboratory of Liptakov
International Hazard

[*] posted on 17-1-2015 at 02:28
for translate:

14. All the materials used in the preparation of the newly developed gel are readily available on commercial scale. Code No.1, the only new ingredients introduced in this report, is commercially available at moderate cost. Chemically, it consist of 93-96% colloidal SiO2, + 2,5-3,5 Na2SO4, + 1,0% Al2O3/Fe2O3 + 0,5 to 1,5% volatiles at 800C (300?) (for 1/2 hour). No evidence of nitromethane decomposition due to the presence of Code No.1 has been observed while in storage at ambient temperature for three months or more.

This means that the composition prevents Code 1 (strongly limits) evaporation of nitromethane? I do not believe too. We can only try...:cool:...LL
PHILOU Zrealone
International Hazard

Mood: Bis-diazo-dinitro-hydroquinonic

[*] posted on 17-1-2015 at 10:41

Quote: Originally posted by Laboratory of Liptakov  
14. All the materials used in the preparation of the newly developed gel are readily available on commercial scale. Code No.1, the only new ingredients introduced in this report, is commercially available at moderate cost. Chemically, it consist of 93-96% colloidal SiO2, + 2,5-3,5 Na2SO4, + 1,0% Al2O3/Fe2O3 + 0,5 to 1,5% volatiles at 800C (300?) (for 1/2 hour). No evidence of nitromethane decomposition due to the presence of Code No.1 has been observed while in storage at ambient temperature for three months or more.

This means that the composition prevents Code 1 (strongly limits) evaporation of nitromethane? I do not believe too. We can only try...:cool:...LL

No!
It means that the colloidal SiO2+... (kind of silica-gel) loses 0.5 to 1.5% of its weight upon heating at 300 (or 800) °C...thus this fraction is called volatiles and is more than certainly composed of water; silica-gel being used as dehydratant in food industry packages (tiny pockets with "do not eat" written on it), in electronic devices packaging and in some organic lab dessicator beads (that can be reused/recycled by oven heating...hydratation level is indicated by cobalt salts passing from yellow-pink when dry to blue when hydrated) ... a few years ago it has also found use as luxe kitten-bac filling (cat litter).
--> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silica_gel

[Edited on 17-1-2015 by PHILOU Zrealone]

PH Z (PHILOU Zrealone)

"Physic is all what never works; Chemistry is all what stinks and explodes!"-"Life that deadly disease, sexually transmitted."(W.Allen)
deltaH
Dangerous source of unreferenced speculation

Mood: Heavily protonated

[*] posted on 17-1-2015 at 11:45

I have some experience with various silicas as they are of great importance as catalyst support. Colloidal silica generally refers to solutions of fumed silica which is kept from clustering and clumping out usually by making the solution mildly alkaline (pH~9 if I remember correctly). Fumed silica is itself commercially available, but the stuff is HORRIBLE to work with because of it's ridiculously low apparent density. It's a bit like goose feathers, just much smaller and you need bags full to prepare a solution... that's why people prefer to work with the colloidal solution versions. A popular brand of colloidal silicas is the LUDOX range made by Grace Industries (brochure attached). Another maker, off the top of my head is Evonik (formerly Degussa).

The silica gel we commonly encounter in drying sachets, kitty litter and the like is quite a different thing morphologically speaking and doesn't have the same rheological properties as fumed silicas. The former is prepared by acidification of sodium silicate followed by ageing regimes.

Attachment: ludox.pdf (731kB)
This file has been downloaded 1578 times

Fumed silica is also commercially available in a more expensive hydrophobic form. In this type, the surface has been 'silanated' (treated with a mixture of methylchlorosilanes AFAIK) so that the naturally hydrophilic hydroxyl surface groups are replaced by methoxy groups.

PS. The picture on the front page of the brochure I attached is irrefutable proof that chemtrails are made by spraying SiCl4 into the turbine exhaust from airplane engines, i.e. making fumed silica and HCl :D

[Edited on 17-1-2015 by deltaH]

Mind your step or step your mind. Website: www.ideashack.org
Bert
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 17-1-2015 at 13:07

We used the hydrophobic variety of fumed silica for an anti cake agent in pyro. I recall Cabot making product used in fireworks flash powders. Have to dig for references- There are a lot of different grades by surface area and surface treatments.

Yes, the stuff is a pain to handle or mix with liquids, not so bad for solids. We just shoveled it in for last 20 minutes when milling the Oxidizer/catalyst ingredients of a flash mixture. Ball min would then be full to the top, but the cab didn't keep the charge from rolling properly. 20 minutes later, there was a lot of decrease to the apparent bulk of the charge, and the mixture poured almost like water.

I note that code #2 and code #3 call for parafin oil as a mixing aid into nitromethane. That sounds like a treated product?

Pages:  1    3  

Go To Top