Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  3    5
Author: Subject: So what have you been doing?
Tdep
National Hazard

Mood: PhD is done! It isn't good but it's over lol

[*] posted on 5-1-2015 at 23:45

Quote: Originally posted by Brain&Force  
Quote: Originally posted by Tdep  
That's awesome! Acetic anhydride is one of the few chemicals I refuse to make or own, there's too many laws around it, and too many poppies growing in my garden. Can't wait for the video though!

...why are you growing poppies in your garden?

Sounds like you could get a job working for the police or DEA with that sort of thinking haha
'Why are there flowers in your garden, what are you up to??'
confused
Hazard to Others

Mood: tired

[*] posted on 6-1-2015 at 09:09

i've recently been planning my diploma's open house, so, lots of glowing fluorescent stuff to demonstrate chemiluminescence and fluorescence in biological organisms
The Volatile Chemist
International Hazard

Mood: Copious

[*] posted on 6-1-2015 at 12:01

Quote: Originally posted by gardul  
Lately I have been writing a book and you tube videos will follow.

It's just basic chemicals that can be made to sterilize things for use in case of social break down.

While these methods are great for most things even E.coli. I have learned that it does jack for staphylococcus aureus. I havn't figured out anything as of yet that will kill this bacteria.

I think next I may have to see if any clorine compound would work.

Dude. Drain Cleaner. 95% H2SO4 does wonders with unwanted bacteria.

gardul
HAZARD TO TEH CATZ!

Mood: Vivified!

[*] posted on 6-1-2015 at 18:38

Quote: Originally posted by The Volatile Chemist  

It's just basic chemicals that can be made to sterilize things for use in case of social break down.

While these methods are great for most things even E.coli. I have learned that it does jack for staphylococcus aureus. I havn't figured out anything as of yet that will kill this bacteria.

Dude. Drain Cleaner. 95% H2SO4 does wonders with unwanted bacteria.

Cool. BUT while that might work for the desk or what not. I have a strange feeling that H2SO4 may be a bad idea to apply to skin. it may be an irritant. lol

for those that can't tell.. the above was a joke...

[Edited on 7-1-2015 by gardul]

I just made you read this very pointless signature. How does it feel?
Arcuritech
Harmless

[*] posted on 7-1-2015 at 06:20

Disinfectants based on strong/radical oxidizers (I2, H2O2, ClO-, MnO4-, H2O2, etc.) and lysing agents (ethanol, isopropanol, ect.) work by mechanisms that do not vary that much from cell to cell. They are almost guaranteed effective, no matter what cellular agent you're trying to kill.

Edit 09:21 same day: I forgot a comma.

[Edited on 2015-1-7 by Arcuritech]

"If we knew what we were doing, it wouldn't be called research." -Albert Einstein

"There are few things -- whether in the outward world, or, to a certain depth, in the invisible sphere of thought -- few things hidden from the man who devotes himself earnestly and unreservedly to the solution of a mystery." -Nathaniel Hawthorne ("Roger Chillingworth")
Mailinmypocket
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 7-1-2015 at 07:09

I'm in the process of setting up a new lab space! Should be done in the next week or two. It seems like it would be a lot of fun to make some chemistry videos but I have never made anything beyond quick demos. I'd like to do some organic synthesis videos but my main issue is am not sure what sort of reactions would be popular or what people want to see. It will need to be trial and error. Also I don't have much experience with video editing and effects so that will be a learning curve as well.
gardul
HAZARD TO TEH CATZ!

[*] posted on 7-1-2015 at 07:34

Quote: Originally posted by Arcuritech  

Disinfectants based on strong/radical oxidizers (I2, H2O2, ClO-, MnO4-, H2O2, etc.) and lysing agents (ethanol, isopropanol, ect.) work by mechanisms that do not vary that much from cell to cell. They are almost guaranteed effective, no matter what cellular agent you're trying to kill.

Edit 09:21 same day: I forgot a comma.

[Edited on 2015-1-7 by Arcuritech]

I know this sounds crazy. In a time of need, lets say social break down, I wouldn't count on having ethanol or isopropyl around. As I would assume within 72 hours selves would be bare.
I actually just read a Journal about how copper sulfate has turned up with some decent results in killing staphylococcus aureus
My thoughts are of taking items that wouldn't be effected by such events and turn them into something useful. Ammonium Chloride and Copper chloride have come with some really good results.
I know a lot of this may be useless research to most but in the long run I am learning a lot as well. so it isn't exactly useless to me.

The Volatile Chemist
International Hazard

Mood: Copious

[*] posted on 8-1-2015 at 08:18

Quote: Originally posted by Mailinmypocket  
I'm in the process of setting up a new lab space! Should be done in the next week or two. It seems like it would be a lot of fun to make some chemistry videos but I have never made anything beyond quick demos. I'd like to do some organic synthesis videos but my main issue is am not sure what sort of reactions would be popular or what people want to see. It will need to be trial and error. Also I don't have much experience with video editing and effects so that will be a learning curve as well.

I wouldn't worry too much about video quality. You could always ask those at Rador Labs (I think you're in that, right?) to help you, or even post it through Rador Labs.
In regards to O. Chem, I think that'd be great!. The more OTC the reaction, probably the more interest it will get, but in reality, any O. chem stuff would be appreciated.

Jylliana
Hazard to Others

Mood: Bubbly ^-^

[*] posted on 8-1-2015 at 14:47

Got bored, made an ampoule, filled with cadmium (powder) this time.

Arcuritech
Harmless

[*] posted on 8-1-2015 at 17:40

I know this sounds crazy. In a time of need, lets say social break down, I wouldn't count on having ethanol or isopropyl around. As I would assume within 72 hours selves would be bare.
I actually just read a Journal about how copper sulfate has turned up with some decent results in killing staphylococcus aureus
My thoughts are of taking items that wouldn't be effected by such events and turn them into something useful. Ammonium Chloride and Copper chloride have come with some really good results.
I know a lot of this may be useless research to most but in the long run I am learning a lot as well. so it isn't exactly useless to me.

It's rediculously easy to make ethanol, just give some yeast sugar water and they'll happily churn out lots of the stuff. This synthesis has been known from antiquity - perhaps predating the invention of written language - so I doubt one would have any trouble making ethanol after a societal collapse.

Even the other chemicals I mentioned wouldn't be to difficult assuming you have a coal/charcoal fired foundry and a steel/copper/tin smelting setup (pretty much necessities for comfortable long term survival).

"If we knew what we were doing, it wouldn't be called research." -Albert Einstein

"There are few things -- whether in the outward world, or, to a certain depth, in the invisible sphere of thought -- few things hidden from the man who devotes himself earnestly and unreservedly to the solution of a mystery." -Nathaniel Hawthorne ("Roger Chillingworth")
gardul
HAZARD TO TEH CATZ!

[*] posted on 8-1-2015 at 21:50

Quote: Originally posted by Arcuritech  

It's rediculously easy to make ethanol, just give some yeast sugar water and they'll happily churn out lots of the stuff. This synthesis has been known from antiquity - perhaps predating the invention of written language - so I doubt one would have any trouble making ethanol after a societal collapse.

Even the other chemicals I mentioned wouldn't be to difficult assuming you have a coal/charcoal fired foundry and a steel/copper/tin smelting setup (pretty much necessities for comfortable long term survival).

The only problem I can forsee is finding yeast. I don't know to much about growing and producing yeast. I can tell you that using the wrong types of yeast can make wine taste horrid.

Maybe I will look into that. Can't be to much different then fungus and bacteria i would think.

EDIT: A quick goodle search shows a lot of infomation. seems to actually be easier then dealing with bacteria and fungus. cool. thank you Arcuritech. I know have some more infomation to work on and see if it works.

[Edited on 9-1-2015 by gardul]

Zyklon-A
International Hazard

Mood: Fluorine radical

[*] posted on 8-1-2015 at 22:25

Yes, you don't use yeast for wine. The grape skin contains the yeast, just not much, which is why wine takes a while to ferment.
Yeast is used to make a water/alcohol solution.
Also regular baking yeast gets killed by over 10% alcohol, so you can't go beyond that without distilling.

gardul
HAZARD TO TEH CATZ!

[*] posted on 8-1-2015 at 23:03

Quote: Originally posted by Zyklon-A  
Yes, you don't use yeast for wine. The grape skin contains the yeast, just not much, which is why wine takes a while to ferment.
Yeast is used to make a water/alcohol solution.
Also regular baking yeast gets killed by over 10% alcohol, so you can't go beyond that without distilling.

There are yeasts made for making wine. I used to make my own wine.

but from what I have just read most plants have yeast on it. all you would need to do in thoery is to put the plant of choosening in water and feed it. then distill it. while this isn't very practical, but then again if you're in a situation where this is a must do, i don't think being practical in a few things is going to matter much.

I am trying to not condone the use of metal for distilling, as I am trying to be in the mindset of needing to be mobile. Which means to get the job done with possible inferior equipment. Metal distills aren't very friendly in that sense. So I am strongly advcating glassware. Mostly E. Flasks and tubbing. glass rods & so forth. While I do touch on better distilling techques, be it better glassware and vacuum distilling, I would only recomend such things if you are stationary.

The only thing is this isn't a good way to distill anything that maybe horribly toxic. and I'm not brave enough to even attempt to distille ethonal this way. Since I live an appartment. To much room for error when it comes to it.

I understand that the chances are slim we will be in any sort of situation where most supplies are completely gone and one has to backpack around with flasks and such. But hey if one persons reads it and it gets them into chemistry why not right?

Pages:  1  ..  3    5

Go To Top