Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Powerful, passive website archival
Polverone
Now celebrating 21 years of madness

Mood: Waiting for spring

[*] posted on 1-3-2005 at 00:42
Powerful, passive website archival

I have just discovered one of the conceptually-greatest Firefox extensions ever: <A HREF="http://www.kenschutte.com/firefoxext/">Slogger</A> allows you to browse the Web with Firefox and automatically download every page you visit in a form suitable for offline viewing. Do you have a lot of hard drive space? Do you fear that the NSA, FBI, or Evil Forum Moderators will erase or modify your favorite threads? Are you tired of forgetting where to find cool stuff online? Combine Slogger with a <A HREF="http://www.copernic.com/">personal search engine</A> and never misplace anything.

PGP Key and corresponding e-mail address
haydz
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 2-3-2005 at 20:52

so how do i get it to save pages? it only logs it and i cant seem to find anything that "saves pages" :(:mad:
Polverone

[*] posted on 3-3-2005 at 00:06

Did you configure the plugin? You should have chosen a data folder and told it to automatically save every page you visit. Then add its icon to one of your tool bars. Click on, and everything you surf will be saved. Click off, and it stops being saved. You can also set it up to be less comprehensive, so that it will save pages only when requested, but I think its real niche is saving everything. You have to turn this behavior on in the plugin options, though.

Esplosivo
Hazard to Others

Mood: Quantized

[*] posted on 3-3-2005 at 03:56

Everytime I open the file a pop up tells me that the 'Install sript was not found'. What could be going wrong? Thanks for the help.

Theory guides, experiment decides.
Polverone

[*] posted on 3-3-2005 at 17:48

Do you have Firefox 1.0 or newer? Have you downloaded the .xpi file, then opened it with "open file" from the file menu? I admit that I've only tried it with Firefox for Windows XP, since I still use Mozilla under Linux. It should work on all Firefox platforms though.

Chris The Great
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 20-3-2005 at 00:33

Been using this, it's great, but turn it to only save the code and not the complete page. I filled up a half gigabyte in a few days when it was saving images. Mainly this space was because it saved tens of thousands of files, as for each page it has to save every little image, which usually amounts to quite a few.

223MB of actual data, 650MB is how much space it takes up on the hard drive. 30,000 files....
This was the forth day I've been using it...

This is when I turned the images off, because I have limited space. Otherwise, it's great!
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger

Go To Top