Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: chemicals destroyed my thermometer
Mendeleev
Hazard to Others

Mood: stoned

sad.gif posted on 5-3-2005 at 19:09
chemicals destroyed my thermometer

I did an ether synthesis about a month ago, and I left my thermometer in the reaction flask all this time. I realize it is bad lab practice to leave things like this but I am a fairly lazy individual. Anyways the flask contained drain cleaner H2SO4, ethanol which was 200 proof when it entered, and water, nothing else. Just now I took out the thermometer to clean it, and I noticed the red spirit inside had gotten a lot lighter in color, almost pink, and there was a black stain at the base of the thermometer. I gently poked it to make sure it wasn't damaged and the little bulb shattered :(. Does anyone know what happened? This is the third thermometer I destroyed. First one in a nitro synthesis, second one in a benzyl chloride synthesis, and now this.

Trogdor was a man. A dragon man. Or maybe just a dragon. . .
BromicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Rock n' Roll

[*] posted on 5-3-2005 at 21:25

Although not terribly thin the glass could still be considered somewhat anologous to a glass membrane electrode. There is probably a difference in pressure inside the thermometer, and of course a different liquid and possibly hydrogen ions were passed through the membrane. Additionally working with glass membranes and sodium production they get weak and shatter when the sodium atoms are removed. Probably a combination of things, acid leeching, proton exchange, maybe subsequent attack on the dyes (which sulfuric is famous for). My point being that there is probably some reason for it and it doesn't seem all that strange that it happened after a soak for a month in sulfuric acid.

Shamelessly plugging my attempts at writing fiction: http://www.robvincent.org
Mendeleev
Hazard to Others

Mood: stoned

[*] posted on 5-3-2005 at 22:27

Ick.

*kicks self in ass for being lazy*

Trogdor was a man. A dragon man. Or maybe just a dragon. . .

Go To Top