Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: extraction of acetlysalicylic acid with some strange results
trinitrotoluene
Hazard to Others

Mood: paranoid

[*] posted on 15-12-2002 at 13:39
extraction of acetlysalicylic acid with some strange results

8 days ago I crushed 125 asprain pills and powdered them.Then I dissolved the powder in 500ml of 70% isoproply alcohol. After there dissolved I did some stirring then let it sit over night. The insoluable filler will sind to the bottom so I can extract the alcohol with the acetlysalicylic acid dissolved in it. To extracted the stuff and left it on a beaker for 5 days. After 5 days there was 150ml of the alcohol left. But alot of acetlysalicylic acid crystals had deposited on the edges. So yesterday I boiled it. I had to go somewhere so I wasnt done I had 50ml left. Today an hour ago I decided to boil away the rest.So I put it onto a hot plate turned it on max then sit tight. For some strange reason the stuff had turned solid last night but as I boiled the studd liquidified I can smell fumes of isoproply alcohol. Then the stuff turned yellow. And now I smell acetic acid. Then I grabed some PH paper and it read that its acidic. For some reason it had changed to acetic acid or what I suspect. Any explanations?

Edit: Corrected spelling in title

[Edited on 14-10-2004 by chemoleo]

TNT
kingspaz
Hazard to Self

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 15-12-2002 at 14:44

ASA is an ester of SA and acetic acid. thats why it smells of vinegar. since you used 70% alcohol you have 30% H2O which can hydrolise this ester back to SA and acetic acid. it's hydrolised much more readily than aliphatic esters because in the SA-O-CO-CH3 bit the C in the middle is much more polarised because of the presence of the delocalised system withdrawing electrons. thus the a lone pair on H2O can more easily make an attack. well thats what i think! any corrections?
Polverone
Now celebrating 21 years of madness

Mood: Waiting for spring

[*] posted on 15-12-2002 at 23:21

Yes, it's been hydrolyzed. But I wouldn't say it's more readily hydrolyzed than aliphatic esters. Many simple esters aren't even stable toward cold water. Next time try extracting with hot acetone instead of 70% IPA.
Microtek
National Hazard

[*] posted on 16-12-2002 at 06:21

Also, avoid heating as this tends to promote hydrolysis. The result of using ethanol at the boiling point will often give a non-crystalline solid that is unsatisfactory for some applications.
Darkfire
Hazard to Others

Mood: Wondering

[*] posted on 4-1-2003 at 15:12

I also had something similar happen to me exept when i heated it it burn t giving of a very nasty colorless gas, it acted like a mild hcocking agent, any idea what this could be?

CTR
trinitrotoluene
Hazard to Others

Mood: paranoid

[*] posted on 4-1-2003 at 15:35

Maybe the nasty colorless gas could be acetic acid. Thats what I got last time.

TNT
Gnown
Harmless

smile.gif posted on 22-8-2003 at 04:02
Extraction of Acetylsalicylic Acid

I tried the same thing, except I used absolute ethanol to extract the ASA. I too had a real problem with the acetic acid fumes and found it was extremely difficult to get rid of all the acetic acid present.

I intended to hydrolyse the stuff and when I did so, I found it just made things worse, since it now smells like it contains salicylic acid, acetic acid AND ETHYL SALICYLATE!! Just great! Oh well...

Go To Top