Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: German Ebook 'Isolierung und Charakterisierung von Naturstoffen' available
Mephisto
Chemicus Diabolicus

Mood: swinging

[*] posted on 14-3-2005 at 11:01
German Ebook 'Isolierung und Charakterisierung von Naturstoffen' available

I've scanned the book 'Isolierung und Charakterisierung von Naturstoffen' by Egon Stahl and Werner Schild. The book shows 53 extraction-methods of natural products, like caffeine, eugenol, piperine, strychnine, etc. If someone is interested, it is possible to download the ebook from here (rapidshare).

Format: PDF with OCR-under-the-picture (fulltext-searchable)
Pages: 183
Size: 3 MB (Silx-compressed)
Resolution: 600 dpi
Year: 1986

I think there is no need to translate the preface:
[color=darkred]Sowohl in den Bereichen der Chemie, der Biochemie und der Pharmazie als auch in denen der Biologie und der Biotechnologie gehört das Isolieren von Reinsubstanzen aus den entsprechenden Biomassen zum Handwerkszeug. Es ist daher zweckmäßig, die Grundkenntnisse anhand ausgewählter Beispiele bereits während des Studiums zu erwerben. Hinzu kommt, daß Naturstoffisolierungen einen anschaulichen, praktischen Einblick in die Verfahrenstechniken geben und zu einer Wertschätzung derartiger Produkte führen.
Aus der großen Zahl an Möglichkeiten wurden nur solche Stoffe ausgewählt, die von praktischem Interesse sind und deren Gewinnung in ihrem Schwierigkeitsgrad, Aufwand und Zeitbedarf in einem Praktikum realisierbar sind. Von der nachstehenden Auswahl kann ein Anfänger zwei bis drei Isolierungen pro Woche ausführen. Man findet jeweils eine oder mehrere erprobte Isolierungsvorschriften aus den verschiedenen Naturstoffgruppen. Ferner wurde Wert darauf gelegt, die verschiedenartigen Isolierungstechniken zu zeigen und neben Beispielen aus dem Pflanzenreich auch solche aus der Tierwelt auszuwählen.
Da zur Zeit kein deutschsprachiges Werk über Naturstoffisolierungen vorliegt, glauben wir, mit dieser Sammlung von mehrfach erprobten Vorschriften zur Isolierung und Charakterisierung eine Lücke schließen zu können. Für weitere Anregungen und Verbesserungsvorschläge sind wir dankbar.
[/color]

If you like this ebook, please share it.

~Mephisto

Visit the German synthesis collection LambdaSyn and our new LambdaForum!
budullewraagh
Hazard to Others

Mood: Aliphatic

[*] posted on 14-3-2005 at 14:18

do you have an english version?

Check out my political blog and click lots of ads:
http://www.independent-thinkers.blogspot.com
Mephisto
Chemicus Diabolicus

[*] posted on 14-3-2005 at 15:21

Unfortunately not. I know, that's sad for most people here, but on the other hand I don't know a similar place for scientific interested people in Germany, where to post it. I hope at least German-readers here around will enjoy this ebook.

chemoleo
Biochemicus Energeticus

Mood: crystalline

[*] posted on 14-3-2005 at 19:18

This is a great book, thank you very much for scanning it & making the effort!
I hope you don't mind if some of that will be implemented in the biochem section - I will do the translation then!
I've always been fascinated by isolating substances from natural things - and here is one describing exactly that!
Thanks again!

PS Did you know that the extract from mallow (Ger: Malve) flowers contain a derivative of 1 R, 3, 5 methoxy, 4 hydroxy benzene? The R being the derivative? ;)

Or, who would have thought that the black pepper component contains a derivative of piperidine, which should be easily extracted by hydrolysis? --> Oh... you already had the idea in lambdasyn :)

[Edited on 15-3-2005 by chemoleo]

Never Stop to Begin, and Never Begin to Stop...
Tolerance is good. But not with the intolerant! (Wilhelm Busch)
garage chemist
chemical wizard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 15-3-2005 at 07:17

The book is nice, there are some interesting extractions like the toxin colchicine from "Herbstzeitlose", ephedrine from ephedra weed (but that extraction is very long and difficult), coffeine and amygdaline form bitter almonds.
Described is also how to make gelatin from "pig fatty tissue" (Schweineschwarte).

There are some better extraction processes for piperine from pepper at Rhodium that don't need DCM, and the further process to piperonal is also described there.

If you look for a german chemistry forum: go to www.versuchschemie.de . I'm a moderator there (profi).
There is by far not as much knowledge there as we have here, but the members at versuchschemie are also mostly hobby chemists. I'd really like to welcome you there!.
Mephisto
Chemicus Diabolicus

[*] posted on 15-3-2005 at 09:49

chemoleo:
Quote:
Originally posted by chemoleo
PS Did you know that the extract from mallow (Ger: Malve) flowers contain a derivative of 1 R, 3, 5 methoxy, 4 hydroxy benzene? The R being the derivative? ;)
A quick search with google doesn't brought up any information about a possible conversion of malvidin to syringaldehyde (if this was the intention of your wink :D). Maybe someone here will find a way to make something useful out of the malvidin.

garage chemist:
Quote:
Originally posted by garage chemist
If you look for a german chemistry forum: go to www.versuchschemie.de . I'm a moderator there (profi).
I've seen it before - it's ok, but it could be more liberal IMO. I already wondered who might be the person, who recommended LambdaSyn and MSDB there, until I read two quite similar posts from profi there and garage chemist here. This now confirms my suspicion :)

garage chemist
chemical wizard

[*] posted on 15-3-2005 at 15:15

What do you mean by "more liberal"? Discussion of explosives will always be forbidden in german forums though, it's just too illegal.

I just recommended your book there, too.:)
The_Fecalator
Harmless

Mood: shaken, not sti

[*] posted on 15-3-2005 at 16:04

Discussion of explosives synthesis is restricted on versuchschemie.de.
This is due to german law and the serious ambitions of the admin, who's more of a interested hobby scientist and not an amateur terrorist :cool:
Nevertheless, at this time it's one of the biggest german sites on chemistry, and it's free especially for newbies. If you dare to take a peek at a german sub-culture, you're very welcome there ! :D
Mephisto
Chemicus Diabolicus

[*] posted on 15-3-2005 at 16:31

Quote:
Originally posted by garage chemist
What do you mean by "more liberal"? Discussion of explosives will always be forbidden in german forums though, it's just too illegal.
No. A scientific discussion about explosives won't be illegal. But that's not the point why I am thinking versuchschemie.de could be more liberal. In real I have an aversion against the method there deleting threads (I mean discussions, not spam) without any comment - they simply disappear. I wanted to add the problem you had there to post a direct-link to a lambdasyn-method, but it has been deleted too. This and such little details like the prohibition of usernames like 'Sprengmeister' (see 'Forenregeln' ), which are unclever but not illegal nor negative, complete for me the impression of a less liberal forum.

The_Fecalator
Harmless

[*] posted on 15-3-2005 at 16:46

I can only speak for myself, but especially the restrictions on this board make it interesting for me. If I want to chat with 14 year old know-it-alls about each and every explosive and how to demolish my home and health most efficiently, there are plenty of forums out there. But if you want to share and get more advanced and serious general chemistry informations, the number of useful forums decreases tremendously....
Therefore I appreciate the mods' efforts to keep the forum clean.
Okay, to be totally true, the scientific level could be higher, but there are often interesting questions asked and the focus is set on experimental issues.
btw: Big THX to Mephisto for his work !

[Edited on 16-3-2005 by The_Fecalator]

--- What was it again I should do when the cold trap is filled up with a funny blueish liquid....? ---
chemoleo
Biochemicus Energeticus

Mood: crystalline

[*] posted on 15-3-2005 at 19:24

Oh I think you got a few facts wrong.

Why is energetic chemistry 'outlawed' just because it could be abused? How many things could you possibly abuse, and not get into trouble for it because it is so common (Knives, bats, guns (US), etc)? Did you know that many chemists of past ages did exactly research nitrogen-rich compounds, knowing that some might be energetic? Why is there an association of juvenility or even terrorism with respect to experiments that tend towards the energetic direction? Why is it ok to play with a bow and arrow, but why is it NOT ok to play with cellulose, and the nitrated form, nitrocellulose?

Anyone who's censoring a discussion thereof is, in my humble opinion, just playing into the hands of big brother. 1984. You obey, you lost. What do you prefer?

As long as we aren't proven to do something utterly immoral, we got the benefit of the doubt, right? So why should the 'lawmaker' impose upon us that playing with EM's is against the law even if intentions aren't unlawful at all?

Never Stop to Begin, and Never Begin to Stop...
Tolerance is good. But not with the intolerant! (Wilhelm Busch)
The_Davster
A pnictogen

Mood: .

[*] posted on 15-3-2005 at 19:33

Most countries(well, at least Canada), have a law that allows the preparation of energetics in laboratory conditions.

A Canadian law:
":34. A person may, for the purpose of laboratory chemical experiment
and not for practical use or sale, make a small quantity of explosive
in a place that is not a licensed factory if reasonable precautions
are observed to prevent injury to persons or damage to property and
if the provisions of the Act and these Regulations are observed as
far as they are otherwise applicable."

Of course, the difficulty is always to convince the authorities that you are making for experimental purposes only, and that what you have in your basement/garage counts as a lab.

EDIT: note the word 'person' and how it is not 'professional chemist' ;)

[Edited on 16-3-2005 by rogue chemist]

garage chemist
chemical wizard

[*] posted on 16-3-2005 at 03:47

Quote:
In real I have an aversion against the method there deleting threads (I mean discussions, not spam) without any comment - they simply disappear. I wanted to add the problem you had there to post a direct-link to a lambdasyn-method, but it has been deleted too. This and such little details like the prohibition of usernames like 'Sprengmeister' (see 'Forenregeln' ), which are unclever but not illegal nor negative, complete for me the impression of a less liberal forum.

The deletion of discussions and links to Lambdasyn were in the times of Sancho, the moderator who censored my detailed german sodium azide synthesis and lots of other syntheses/postings. He isn't a moderator any longer.
The disallowance of member names like "Sprengmeister" or "Terrorist" and the prohibition of discussions about explosives is based on the image other forums or, more importantly, the media gets of our forum. One bad article in the media will ruin the image of hobby chemists forever.
And the discussion of explosives is allowed (though not advised) as long as nobody posts syntheses or writes that he has done something illegal.
The_Fecalator
Harmless

[*] posted on 16-3-2005 at 04:47

Quote:
Originally posted by chemoleo
Oh I think you got a few facts wrong.

Why is energetic chemistry 'outlawed' just because it could be abused? How many things could you possibly abuse, and not get into trouble for it because it is so common (Knives, bats, guns (US), etc)? Did you know that many chemists of past ages did exactly research nitrogen-rich compounds, knowing that some might be energetic? Why is there an association of juvenility or even terrorism with respect to experiments that tend towards the energetic direction? Why is it ok to play with a bow and arrow, but why is it NOT ok to play with cellulose, and the nitrated form, nitrocellulose?

Anyone who's censoring a discussion thereof is, in my humble opinion, just playing into the hands of big brother. 1984. You obey, you lost. What do you prefer?

As long as we aren't proven to do something utterly immoral, we got the benefit of the doubt, right? So why should the 'lawmaker' impose upon us that playing with EM's is against the law even if intentions aren't unlawful at all?

1. Experience shows us that especially the younger hobby scientists in fact do abuse the knowledge they get from the internet. There's no denying that in most cases knowledge equals a motivation for abuse !
2. I agree with you when you say many common items are more dangerous than small quantities of chemicals in a hobbyist's hands, but people seem to be paranoid when they are confronted with chemistry (= a thing most people don't understand !).
The other point is, if one has succeeded to create a small-scale explosion, there's no reason one should not be able to create a HUGE explosion. That's why even small-scale explosive chemistry is feared and prohibited.
The answer to your bow and arrow analogy is simple: with a bow and arrow you can hurt or even kill one person per arrow. The same is true for most of the "dangerous" everyday items. For explosives the figure looks a little different...that's one reason german law prohibits non-professional manufacture, handling and usage of explosives.
3. Playing with EMs is a funny thing to do if you know the risks, treat the materials with respect and have enough common sense for not hurting yourself or someone else. Unfortunately, most teens lack these abilities. And it's especially teens who seek their thrill in EMs....
My position is clear: everybody who wants to experiment with EMs must gather the information on his own and learn to deal with chemistry STEP BY STEP. There's no use in spreading recipes and motivate kids to blow their frickin' heads off. I am ready to answer questions concerning safety precautions and theoretical details but I would never deliver a recipe for EMs to a completely unknown person.
4. I know very well that the chemistry grandfather's fooled around ("investigated";) EMs containing Nitrogen etc. But that was in times when the whole explosives crap wasn't yet developed and explored. Today we find ourselves in a completely differrent situation ! The guys who hang around in internet forums and collect every explosive formula they can get their hands on definitely DO NOT conduct any research. They don't create anything new, they simply reproduce ! And that has nothing to do with scientific engineering. With curiosity - yes, fun - too, but not with scientific work.

--- What was it again I should do when the cold trap is filled up with a funny blueish liquid....? ---
crushpack
Harmless

[*] posted on 17-11-2006 at 14:01

mephi can you upload the book once again it was deleted from easy share
thx
Saugi
Harmless

[*] posted on 23-11-2006 at 10:33

Yes, plz upload it again, or share it via eMule. I couldn't find it there too...

Im planning to make a real big eBook collection about chemistry, survival and weaponry and then
will upload them all as a single bit-torrent file!

Your book would be suitable for that too... DANKE!
cchech
Harmless

[*] posted on 22-8-2008 at 04:57
can anybody up this book

:( rapidshare link is down :(
Vogelzang
Banned

[*] posted on 24-8-2008 at 10:13

Isolierung und Charakterisierung von Naturstoffen. Von E. Stahl und W. Schild. Gustav Fischer Verlag, Stuttgart 1986. X, 180 S., br. DM 39.80. - ISBN 3-437-30511-5
Horst C. Uzar
Institut für Organische Chemie der Universität-Gesamthochschule Siegen

Seek and Ye shall find.
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=Isolierung+und+Char...

http://www.gbv.de/dms/bs/toc/025287672.pdf

http://xup.raidrush.ws/ndl_a12e33eb8da82532d39a64caeb417/

[Edited on 24-8-2008 by Vogelzang]
learningChem
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 30-1-2015 at 15:24

Fresh link

http://bookfi.org/book/1024183

Funnily enough, free speech comes from russia.

Go To Top