Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Poll: Poll: What is YOUR level of education??
At school. --- 215 (37.59%)
Undergraduate degree (university/polytechnic etc.) --- 182 (31.82%)
Postgraduate degree (Masters, etc) --- 62 (10.84%)
PhD (doctorate, whatever) --- 46 (8.04%)
Professorship (assistant or full, inc. Nobel prize winners) --- 11 (1.92%)
Have completed school, but no degrees to this point :-P --- 56 (9.79%)

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4  ..  7
Author: Subject: Poll: What is YOUR level of education??
theta_pu
Harmless

Mood: Excellent

[*] posted on 31-3-2005 at 11:29

I´m Chemical Engineering from Mlexico, and actully working on polymers
Phel
Hazard to Self

Mood: viscous creep

[*] posted on 31-3-2005 at 13:11

Voted Undergraduate degree.
I am studying chemical engineering on my first year, somewhere in the dark Scandinavia.

[Edited on 31-3-2005 by Phel]
jetfuel
Harmless

Mood: fair to partly

[*] posted on 31-3-2005 at 17:29
school

I am 50 now and been a lab rat for most of my working days, but now at my age I have gone back to school to finish getting my degree in organic/ analytical chem

james m. Fox
uber luminal
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 31-3-2005 at 19:36

diploma's for Telecomm and Welding technology. (from post/2nd, 2 year schools) (odd combination... but it should count for something? right?)

Currently an undergrad in Materials Engineering. thinking about adding a minor in chem, since I miss taking chemistry classes. :(

I agree with Tom.
physics is torment.
Scratch-
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 31-3-2005 at 19:59

Voted "At School."

I'm a junior in high school taking duel enrollment at a local high school. I've taken some classes in chemistry, enough to get me started in chemistry as a hobby. I really like chemistry and like to read chemistry stuff (like these forums, which are a real treasure trove of information I might add).
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
Chris The Great
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 31-3-2005 at 23:42

At school, grade 11. Taking my first chemistry course this semester. It is very, very, very BORING. That's the downside of having chemistry as a hobby.
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
cyclonite4
Hazard to Others

Mood: Amphoteric

[*] posted on 1-4-2005 at 02:09

Of course school chemistry can be unentertaining (mainly because it's uninformative), but if you can't handle a little bit of paper work, you may be in the wrong business... :)

EDIT: btw, nice tesla coil...

[Edited on 1-4-2005 by cyclonite4]

\"It is dangerous to be right, when your government is wrong.\" - Voltaire
12AX7
Post Harlot

Mood: informative

[*] posted on 1-4-2005 at 04:34

Quote:
Originally posted by cyclonite4
EDIT: btw, nice tesla coil...

*Looks*

Hm, I think the MOTs are just a little bit more impressive. Considering.... my welder doesn't even draw that much current, at full output! (230A.)

Tim
Chris The Great
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 1-4-2005 at 09:50

Not so much the paperwork, it's just I already know nearly 99% what we're learning. I perk up if I don't know something, but hearing my monotone teacher repeating simple theory that I already know is, well, boring. I don't mind writing up labs or doing them even if they are very simple. Hopefully the next year will be much better as I don't know a fair amount of the topics (haven't had a chance to learn them on my own yet).

Thanks, I'm going to start work on it again as it's warming up. The MOTs have drawn over 80 amps before, but that was with no current limiting and now my breaker doesn't work. Opps.
Titan
Harmless

[*] posted on 2-4-2005 at 06:12

I visiting grammar school as child and gymnasium as teenager.

Vulture you are visiting secondary schools ;) and treasured knowledge
of schoolmates.
sparkgap
International Hazard

Mood: chaotropic

[*] posted on 2-4-2005 at 06:21

Apparently, you didn't stay long for your visit, Titan. :P

Vulture won't visit unless there is carrion and prey for him to feed upon. :D

sparky (^_^)

P.S. On the subject, I'm done with my masters, and still undecided as to pursuing a doctorate is worth the expense and trouble. Cash isn't something that stays long on my wallet these times.

"What's UTFSE? I keep hearing about it, but I can't be arsed to search for the answer..."
froot
Hazard to Others

Mood: refluxed

[*] posted on 2-4-2005 at 06:36

Have a higher diploma in electrical engineering, light current. But alas, now I'm a designer in the mechanical engineering field. And I love chemistry.

We salute the improvement of the human genome by honoring those who remove themselves from it.
Of necessity, this honor is generally bestowed posthumously. - www.darwinawards.com
Titan
Harmless

[*] posted on 3-4-2005 at 06:08

froot,

electrophysics is easy ;)
organic chemie is complex
and
anorganic chemie is babylon.
Ashendale
Harmless

Mood: Hydrated

[*] posted on 4-4-2005 at 07:29

At school -.-

I believe Americans call that high school? (8th grade ._.)

markgollum
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 5-4-2005 at 18:53

Well, today I applied to the faculty of Engineering at the Uni for the BSc Engineering program :D. If I am accepted that means that the next 4 years of my life will pretty much be spent studying, (or so everyone tells me).

I don’t even have a high-school diploma yet, but I am hoping to be admitted anyhow due to my high marks (in the sciences that is).
My Chem final mark is 90% (would have been 96% If my teacher wouldn’t have had such a big ego, He hated me for knowing more chemistry then him)
My Physics mark is 92%
Bio 90%
My average is 84% which is very good considering my best English mark so far has been 65%:(:(:mad:

Before this, (grade 12 is the only year that I went to school:D:D) I was home schooled:D.

Its great to know that the majority of people here are either Chem engineers, studying to be Chem engineers, or hoping to be Chem engineers someday.:D:D
WOW!!.
Sandmeyer
National Hazard

Mood: abbastanza bene

[*] posted on 7-4-2005 at 13:17

The most interesting/intelligent ppl I know have no univ education. Any idiot can get a piece of paper from a conformation factory, but how many of them can do anyting without directions/commands from the authority? But, to be a voice in the society you must at least have a degree.

[Edited on 7-4-2005 by Sandmeyer]

EBAYID_cheap_stuph
Harmless

[*] posted on 7-4-2005 at 13:21

I have a physics degree. I shouldn't even be here. remember physicist believe in the uncertainty principle, and you know what that means!
neutrino
International Hazard

Mood: oscillating

[*] posted on 7-4-2005 at 15:35

Not in this context, no.
sparkgap
International Hazard

Mood: chaotropic

[*] posted on 7-4-2005 at 23:17

Quote:

...I shouldn't even be here. remember physicist believe in the uncertainty principle, and you know what that means!

non sequitur, my friend. non sequitur.

Remember that HUP only becomes applicable at the (sub)atomic level. At the visible, macroscopic level, its effects are never felt. One can go on all his life without even knowing about it, IMHO.

Oh, and most chemists I know believe in HUP. Don't think you physicists are privileged or something...

sparky (^_^)

"What's UTFSE? I keep hearing about it, but I can't be arsed to search for the answer..."
cyclonite4
Hazard to Others

Mood: Amphoteric

[*] posted on 8-4-2005 at 04:19

Quote:
Originally posted by Sandmeyer
The most interesting/intelligent ppl I know have no univ education. Any idiot can get a piece of paper from a conformation factory, but how many of them can do anyting without directions/commands from the authority? But, to be a voice in the society you must at least have a degree.

This likely applies to many, my uncle for one. He is a genius, but early in his last year, he realised how f'd up the education system is, dropped out, and continued his education privately.
Talking about degrees, you practically need a PhD to get a decent job here, almost any employer would take a "PhD" over anyone else. It's even possible to underqualify for McDonalds.:o An acquaintance of mine, who dropped out in year 10 (not completing high school), was declined for a job because highschool graduation is preferred (but then again, they should have graduated, and got their PhD in 'burger-flipping' :D).

\"It is dangerous to be right, when your government is wrong.\" - Voltaire
Magpie
lab constructor

Mood: Chemistry: the subtle science.

[*] posted on 8-4-2005 at 08:04

For many people getting a college degree means years of sacrifice - putting off immediate gratification, e.g., working summers and evenings at low wages, delaying marriage, etc. I don't see how doing this plus getting an academic education subtracts from a person's worth. Getting an education in a challenging academic field is much more difficult than most jobs in my opinion.

The single most important condition for a successful synthesis is good mixing - Nicodem
K9
Harmless

[*] posted on 8-4-2005 at 09:20

I'm going to be starting my 3rd year of an honours program specializing in biology. I want to do molecular biology specifically.
uber luminal
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 8-4-2005 at 09:52

I think 4 year degree's (from a known university maybe) are prefered because it shows the individual is capable of completing things without having their hand held. It implies they get to class on time and finish projects on time (haha yea right). It also implies that the person has completed a wide range of material. You take your Social Science and Humanities, your Calculus, Sciences, a bit of whatever. Im not saying that those things are even worth a lot or someone who does not go to school does not have a well rounded education, but the employers do not assume this. I know guys that are smart and land cool jobs without education. But I know more smart people who have their PhD and have even cooler jobs.

A university isn't just about the Education or experience,
its also the networking of people, and the environment which you are in. (granted some environments suck, but with the right additude, you can change things). Imagine the super smart guy your thinking of, who doesnt need no education, in an environment where they can learn even more, and apply their knowledge to real projects, with real funding or equipment. (like XRD or SEM... not something your average no-school smart guy has). College is a breeding ground for smart folks. They don't tell you about every possibility, thats something you have to figure out and decide. With enough patients, ingenuity and a bit of social engineering, you can make just about anything reasonable happen. (and save the not so reasonable things as side projects when no one is looking). Anyway, the smart ones come out of the woodwork and find great opportunities, the rest go about getting their degrees and finding an unrelated job, working 8-5 in their dull life :) these are your students who come out of college expecting things to be just like it was in the text book. fortunately, not everyone is like this, unless the school totally sucks.

The schools ARE kinda messed up. esp if your an older student who returned to school after so many years. Many schools look at the big picture of total students and cash flow, not you. Professors have to instruct 800-1200 students a week, and your not exactly their number one priority. sometimes its hard to go from doing everything the way you want, to being told you need to meet certain requirments and do something a certain way. Its also hard going from an environment where you are the teacher or are taught on a 1:1 basis, to a lecture hall with 400 other students, (who in my case are all many years younger than me). But its worth it to change your study habbits rather than complain that classes don't meet your style. Life is about compromise, and sometimes taking a small hit to your ego is a worthwhile option.
JohnWW
International Hazard

[*] posted on 8-4-2005 at 15:01

And where is the money going to come from, Markgollum and others? Frankly, in the final analysis, it all comes down to the "silver spoon", where you end up academically, no matter how good you are, or how hard you try, based on personal experience. Any scholarships would cover only a fraction of your true expenses, including probable income forgone. Taking out student loans is a dead loss, a fools' game.
Mumbles
Hazard to Others

Mood: Procrastinating

[*] posted on 23-4-2005 at 18:22

I'm just finishing up my final year of high school. I am attending a rather prestigious school for science in the fall. I already have some research opportunities available to me. I am thinking going for my B.S in Chemistry, maybe a minor in physics, and then perhaps a masters in organic chemistry, or pharmacutical engineering.

I ended up getting into what some consider the most prestigious school for science in the US. University of Chicago. I don't think I am going there though. From what I have learned from previous and current students, while the academic atmosphere is wonderful, the social atmosphere is lacking. Don't get me wrong, academic atmosphere is very important, but I want to be able to have some fun if I am spending $40,000 a year to go to some school.
 Pages:  1  2    4  ..  7

Go To Top