Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Gallium Nitrate
pepsimax
Hazard to Self

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 17-1-2015 at 08:28

I made some galliun nitrate by simply dropping some in conc nitric and piping the nitrogen oxides to safety. Wgen it had dissolved a few days later, tge stopper was removed and the water allowed to evaporate. When approx half the water had gone a slurry of white crystals formed which were filtered by vacuum and dried.
aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 17-1-2015 at 14:29

I think the tricky part is removing ALL of the nitric acid from the product.

eidolonicaurum
Hazard to Self

Mood: Hydric

[*] posted on 23-1-2015 at 07:42

Quote: Originally posted by Cheddite Cheese  
The green is most likely from N2O3, formed by reduction of nitric acid.

Is nitrous anhydride not really unstable at habitable temperatures? That picture was taken at about 20C, so surely ~90% of the nitrous anhydride would have dissociated? As you can see, the solution is a strong green, so this would require a lot of nitrous anhydride.
Another thought: how come, say, zinc doesn't form a green solution when it is dissolved in nitric acid?

The only idea that I came up with was a ligand with nitrogen dioxide, but that seems even more unlikely than your idea, Cheddite Cheese. To my knowledge, ligands only alter the colour of the ion; therefore if it is colourless, no change appears.

I forgot to mention: in the picture a small amount of water was added after everything had dissolved.

[Edited on 23-1-2015 by eidolonicaurum]

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top