Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Chemical Composition of Fertilizer's
Magius
Harmless

Mood: Constrianed

[*] posted on 2-4-2005 at 15:58
Chemical Composition of Fertilizer's

So its spring again, and multiple department stores and home garden shops have started selling fertilizers. now, having read over this tread (http://67.15.145.24/~sciencem/talk/viewthread.php?tid=74) I decided to go hunting for some Potassium Nitrate.

After searching the chain stores(and some local wisconsin chain stores) I was unable to find any products pure enough for my liking, many being contaminated with Urea or Urea Nitrate. So, taking Polverones advice, I tracked to the local Co-op only to find that, lo and behold, they didn't have any 13-0-46 (KNO3) fertilizer either. :(. However, while there I did manage to pick up 50 pounds of 95% sulfer ($12.60), so the trip wasnt and entire waste. While there, I observed multiple fertilizers, the usual Urea and Calcium Nitrate, as well as a 0-0-60 fertilizer. Now, not being a farmer, or knowing the deep significance of why someone would want a fertilizer with 60% availible Potassium, I wondered, 'What could be its chemical composition?' Pulling out my calculator(always in my side pocket) I did some quick calculations of the usual Potassium Salts (KCl, KOH, K2O and KO2) and found that none of them matched. The closest were 53% with KCl and 55% KO2. I doubt that its KO2, but could they get off with passing KCl as fertilizer? That seems too easy.

Any Ideas?

Also, seeing as I'm out of KNO3 and NaNO3 for a while, are there any other Nitrates, such as Calcium or Urea, that could be used as a substitute(ajusted by moles ofcourse) in pyrocompisitions?

Wait for it...
JohnWW
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 2-4-2005 at 16:15

Mined KCl, which has a pale orange-pink color due to vacancies in its crystal lattice, is used as a fertilizer, either straight, as coated granules, or mixed with other fertilizers to give balance.
12AX7
Post Harlot

Mood: informative

[*] posted on 2-4-2005 at 19:12

Hm, the KCl I'm familiar with (though probably recrystallized) is completely white. That would be mixed with NaCl in ice melter, which makes ye most enjoyable aluminum flux.

Tim
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
Scratch-
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 2-4-2005 at 20:23

I got my KCl mixed with NaCl in the No-Salt substitute. I too havent been able to find pure fertalizers and other things that people have been able to find at the hardware and garden stores (KNO3, NH3NO3, graphite rods, CuSO4, etc.). I only recently found sulfur, its only 90% though. Do you live in the US also?

EDIT: Er, forget that last question lol, didn't see that part where you answered it.

[Edited on 4/3/2005 by Scratch-]
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
Darkblade48
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 2-4-2005 at 21:57

I've gone to a hydroponics store close to where I live, and they often sell 500 grams of KNO3 as a plant fertilizer for $3 (CAD). If you try, you actually might be able to persuade the hydroponics store to sell you it in bulk as well.

Unfortunately for me, the KNO3 I have are in round balls (prilled, I believe is the term?)

On a different note I've also found my sulfur at a local Home Hardware, but it was only 92% pure.

[Edited on 3-4-2005 by Darkblade48]
MadHatter
International Hazard

Mood: Enjoying retirement

[*] posted on 3-4-2005 at 01:46
KNO3

There's always the option of ordering online but the drawback is a paper trail.
I ordered from: http://www.atlantishydroponics.com in the past. However, their
price on KNO3(50 LBS) went up from $19.95 to $45.99. I hope that's a price that
includes shipping because in the past I always had to pay the $20 HAZMAT fee
plus actual shipping charges. Search on the product code KN50.

From opening of NCIS New Orleans - It goes a BOOM ! BOOM ! BOOM ! MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHA !

Go To Top