Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Purification of silver nitrate
HNO3
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 9-4-2005 at 16:09
Purification of silver nitrate

I am trying to purify my silver nitrate. The impurity is copper. I would wash it with alcoholic ammonia, but I've heard bad things about the safety and stability of AgNO<sub>3</sub>/NH<sub>3</sub> solutions.

\"In the beginning, God...\" Wait a minute, God doesn\'t exist!!!!!!!!!! \"OK, in the beginning, ummm, hydrogen...\" Wait a minute, what about the laws of thermodynamics? \"OK, in the beginning, ummm.....UMMMMM, what\'s left to choose from?
The_Davster
A pnictogen

Mood: .

[*] posted on 9-4-2005 at 16:34

Possibly...
Add NaCl to precipitate AgCl, and filter it out. CuCl2 is soluble so you are just left with AgCl. Wash it well. Dissolve it in nitric acid and evaporate to get AgNO3 crystals.

HNO3
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 9-4-2005 at 17:23

I'd rather not have to try a thermit. I'm afraid with your method the chloride won't leave, and I'll be left with a nitric acid/silver chloride solution. I dunno.

\"In the beginning, God...\" Wait a minute, God doesn\'t exist!!!!!!!!!! \"OK, in the beginning, ummm, hydrogen...\" Wait a minute, what about the laws of thermodynamics? \"OK, in the beginning, ummm.....UMMMMM, what\'s left to choose from?
The_Davster
A pnictogen

Mood: .

[*] posted on 9-4-2005 at 17:41

Hmm, now that I think about it, the equilibrium would favour the nitric acid/silver chloride solution instead of silver nitrate and HCl. You could electrolyse the solution with carbon electrodes, the silver would plate out first on the cathode. Problem is that if you run the electrolysis for too long copper would plate out ontop of the silver. Actually, this is not so much of a problem, just continue the electrolysis untill copper starts plating out on top of the silver, then place this electrode in dilute nitric acid to dissolve the layer of copper. You are left with silver on a carbon electrode, which can be dissolved off using hot concentrated nitric acid, leaving you with a solution of pure silver nitrate(and possibly some carbon particles which can be filtered out).

neutrino
International Hazard

Mood: oscillating

[*] posted on 9-4-2005 at 18:34

There's a very simple solution: crystallize and wash with EtOH. The copper nitrate will wash off with a little silver, but you'll still have the bulk of your silver left. If you really want that last little bit of silver, add some copper, separate the silver crystals, and redissolve in acid.

P.S. Silver nitrate stain are almost impossible to wash out (you should see my countertop), so be careful. Just because it doesn’t seem to be there doesn’t mean it isn’t.

[Edited on 10-4-2005 by neutrino]
azaleaemerson
Harmless

[*] posted on 12-4-2005 at 05:50

I can't find it for Cu nitrate, but Ag nitrate is soluble at (in 100mL % ethanol):

4g at cold 95%
10g at cold 80%
18g at hot 95%
42g at hot 80%

azalea

azalea
unionised
International Hazard

[*] posted on 12-4-2005 at 10:59

A straightforward recrystalisation from water should work. Water/alcohol would be easier to work with but beware that AgNO3/ organic trash can explode on heating.

"If you really want that last little bit of silver, add some copper, separate the silver crystals, and redissolve in acid.
"
I wonder how close that is to why he has some silver nitrate conaminated with copper in the first place.
Tacho
National Hazard

[*] posted on 12-4-2005 at 11:13

Recrystalization from water! Check this.

Dissolve the nitrate and boil away most of the water. White cristals will form. Filter away the blue solution (copper ions).
Esplosivo
Hazard to Others

Mood: Quantized

[*] posted on 12-4-2005 at 11:25

I have done the following many times now, although on a small scale. Place a pure copper wire (use the ones from wires) in the solution. Leave the copper immersed in the mixture for some time (I usually leave it for a couple of days, even a week). Preferabbly use more than one wire. A silver 'tree' will form which can easily be sraped from the copper wire. Redissolve this silver by adding conc. nitric acid (pure) and crystallize. Viola... you've got very very pure silver nitrate. Hope this helps.

Theory guides, experiment decides.
neutrino
International Hazard

Mood: oscillating

[*] posted on 12-4-2005 at 13:00

Copper (II) nitrate is much more soluble in EtOH than silver nitrate. I don’t remember the exact figures, but I think it was somewhere around 10x.
HNO3
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 12-4-2005 at 14:27

Quote:

"If you really want that last little bit of silver, add some copper, separate the silver crystals, and redissolve in acid.
"
I wonder how close that is to why he has some silver nitrate conaminated with copper in the first place.

Actually, my first copper contaminated silver nitrate came from United Nuclear's "99.999% pure silver". After that I went to a silver coin. No, my nitric acid is not contaminated with copper.:P

Go To Top