Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  7    9
Author: Subject: PC PSU to laboratory PSU
dann2
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 8-3-2010 at 13:35

Hello QuickSilver,

I tried making Calcium Chlorate once (long time ago) using current reversal. I had to reverse the current every 30 seconds or so (seems very frequent). I was not controlling the pH as it controlled itself!
The Gouging rods turned into a non-conducting mass after a while of running the cell.

See here:
http://www.oxidizing.110mb.com/chlorate/calcium.html

Will have to get back to it some time.
Dann2

[Edited on 8-3-2010 by dann2]
quicksilver
International Hazard

Mood: ~-=SWINGS=-~

[*] posted on 11-3-2010 at 08:06

Dann2:

That was excellent material. Thank you. I'm not surprised but mildly disappointed that the techniques "narrow". I have tried graphite but the mess is twice as ugly. and Ti will also become a floating mass of TiO (or something close).
It's such a wonderful process (electro-chemical synthesis) but bound tightly in construction.
dann2
International Hazard

[*] posted on 14-12-2010 at 13:23

Hello,

Can anyone supply a pinout diagram for this power supply.

http://www.global-american-wholesalers.com/servlet/the-1349/...

If I could identify the 'on' wire at self?

Thanks,

Dann2
dann2
International Hazard

[*] posted on 23-1-2011 at 14:26

Quote: Originally posted by dann2  
Hello,

Can anyone supply a pinout diagram for this power supply.

http://www.global-american-wholesalers.com/servlet/the-1349/...

If I could identify the 'on' wire at self?

Thanks,

Dann2

Some info. on the supply above:
Dell Artesyn PV224F 650w PSU 6118Y p/n: 7000224-0000

You could probably just short the two terminals and not use a 200 Ohm resistor to get the device to power up.
I got two of them for a fiver each so they were cheap enough.

Can Power MOSFET's be used in parallel?

Edit:

You can see here:
http://cr4.globalspec.com/thread/13539/Mosfet-Parallel

A small resistor in each line is to be recommended + a common heat sink to keep temperatures of devices the same.

Cheers,
Dann2

artesyn.jpg - 36kB

[Edited on 23-1-2011 by dann2]
Mildronate
Hazard to Others

Mood: Ruido sintetico

[*] posted on 20-8-2011 at 09:49

Please help i start modifying TX power supply (Sparkle power FSP235-60GT), cant find schematic. There is IC KA7500B I find the resistor which goes from pin 14 on the PWM IC to pin 2 and put there 10K potentiometer in series with this resistor and pin 14. I can regulate voltage down to about 6 volts, then it turns off. And i dont like that regulating voltage down slows down Fan (fan had automatic regulating to my mind). What can i do? Mybe i can destroy all this PWM shit all other shit, just keept transformer and primary circuit? And mybe recoiling transformer for just only one secondary). I am also planing building constant current sink. Any ideas?
barbs09
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 29-6-2014 at 17:56
Cheap LED power supplies from Ebay

Hello, I have been away from the lab bench for a while, and want to play around with electrochemistry and have found what looks to be a cheap high current switchmode power supply post free ex China on Ebay (heaps of makes and varieties) e.g..

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/330876569404?ssPageName=STRK:MEWA...

These are sold as LED strip lighting supplies, and I was wondering if any contributors here have had a chance to test their worth on an electrolysis project?

I am aware a lot of Chinese made supplies are well made and safe, but have heard horror stories about poorly constructed supplies with poor earthing etc etc. Like a modified ATX PS, I wonder if these need a 10 ohm load to allow them to operate?

If no one has any thoughts/experience with these, I will simply risk purchasing one and posting my findings. Taking the lid off and inspecting the earth and how well the PCB is insulated from the metal housing will be initially performed.

Look forward to any thoughts,

Cheers AB
The Volatile Chemist
International Hazard

Mood: Copious

[*] posted on 29-6-2014 at 19:30

I did this with an old psu. Anyone had success with linking multiple psu-s together?

jock88
National Hazard

[*] posted on 30-6-2014 at 15:54

According to pdfbq over on www.AmateurPyro.com computer power supplies can be connected in parallel without any diodes. Just simply connect the red wires (5V) together and the black wires together. The problem that occurs is that it is impossible to turn on the power supplies at exactly the same time. As soon as the first supply turns on it will be overloaded (by the low resistance load, a large cell in this case) and shut down. You must remove the Anode (or Cathode or both) from the cell, turn on the paralleled supplies and then lower the electrodes slowly into the cell so that each supply can take up its fair share of the load as the current builds up. You could also put a resistor in series with the cell that can be switched out of the circuit as soon as you get all the power supplies switched on and running at the full current.

See here:
http://oxidizing.typhoonguitars.com/chlorate/cpsu.html
The Volatile Chemist
International Hazard

[*] posted on 1-7-2014 at 06:50

Interesting... I have A BUNCH of old power supplies. This may be rather handy... :)

markx
National Hazard

Mood: Very Jolly

[*] posted on 6-7-2014 at 22:44

Quote: Originally posted by barbs09  
Hello, I have been away from the lab bench for a while, and want to play around with electrochemistry and have found what looks to be a cheap high current switchmode power supply post free ex China on Ebay (heaps of makes and varieties) e.g..

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/330876569404?ssPageName=STRK:MEWA...

These are sold as LED strip lighting supplies, and I was wondering if any contributors here have had a chance to test their worth on an electrolysis project?

I am aware a lot of Chinese made supplies are well made and safe, but have heard horror stories about poorly constructed supplies with poor earthing etc etc. Like a modified ATX PS, I wonder if these need a 10 ohm load to allow them to operate?

If no one has any thoughts/experience with these, I will simply risk purchasing one and posting my findings. Taking the lid off and inspecting the earth and how well the PCB is insulated from the metal housing will be initially performed.

Look forward to any thoughts,

Cheers AB

This type of power supply is even beefier:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/5V-70A-Universal-Regulated-Switching...

It has forced cooling and is really effective...at 40A continuous operation it rarely switched on the fan and did not heat much. I also rigged a digital volt- and ampere meter to it. For the money it makes a perfect power supply for electrosynthesis.

Exact science is a figment of imagination.......
The Volatile Chemist
International Hazard

[*] posted on 7-7-2014 at 07:05

I legit-ly have 7 Unused PSUs. If anyone has any more resources for linking them up, that'd be great!
I think total wattage is something over 2000W! Very exciting if I could make 'em into an electrolysis power supply!

barbs09
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 12-7-2014 at 05:31

Thanks for the link markx. Perhaps against better judgment I just bought a cheaper but identically specked PS from Ebay (link below). Will advise on its effectiveness and build quality and most importantly safety (insulation, earthing etc). Apparently it "DOES NOT" come with installation instructions etc, so unsure if works as a stand alone PS, or similar to an ATX computer PS, which requires a load for start up. Shouldn't be rocket science to sort out however.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/360727378568?_trksid=p2059210.m2749....

Cheers, AB

[Edited on 12-7-2014 by barbs09]
markx
National Hazard

Mood: Very Jolly

[*] posted on 20-7-2014 at 06:06

Quote: Originally posted by barbs09  
Thanks for the link markx. Perhaps against better judgment I just bought a cheaper but identically specked PS from Ebay (link below). Will advise on its effectiveness and build quality and most importantly safety (insulation, earthing etc). Apparently it "DOES NOT" come with installation instructions etc, so unsure if works as a stand alone PS, or similar to an ATX computer PS, which requires a load for start up. Shouldn't be rocket science to sort out however.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/360727378568?_trksid=p2059210.m2749....

Cheers, AB

[Edited on 12-7-2014 by barbs09]

Not to worry....basically they are all the same design, quite rugged ang reliable. And it will work as a stand alone PS, no problem at all. The setup is a plain design, just connect the mains line and earth under the marked clamps and the 5V outputs to the cell under their designated clamps. Usually the PS will have 3 individual clamps for the 5V +- outputs (so 6 in combination). It is advisable to bridge the individual 3 clamps into one singular connector to avoid the overheating of the leads under full load. Apart from that there is no fuzz to the process at all.

Here is a fuzzy picture of my PS with the leads bridged:

http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/files.php?pid=304296&...

Perhaps it is of some aid...

[Edited on 20-7-2014 by markx]

Exact science is a figment of imagination.......
nannah
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 1-9-2014 at 08:32

I am going to do my own PSU -> bench power supply conversion. I saw JumperOneTV's convertion video on youtube, and i will follow the instructions he give in the video.
I do not have much experience with this sort of thing, but it seems like fun. :)

I wonder if the next step after this one is done, is to do a variable bench power supply, or is it something thats much more advanced, and i should wait with doing?

Thanks. /N
smaerd
International Hazard

Mood: hmm...

[*] posted on 2-9-2014 at 03:52

Variable bench supply will require some soldering and electronic components. Totally feasible for an amateur if they are willing to research and learn how. I'm sure there are build plans out there already to make it less intense of an endevour.

Texium
Administrator
Thread Moved
21-11-2023 at 14:08
 Pages:  1  ..  7    9

Go To Top