Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Traces of Acqua Regia in PETN. Dangerous?
aldofad
Hazard to Self

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 18-10-2014 at 20:02
Traces of Acqua Regia in PETN. Dangerous?

Hello,
I'm very excited since I was able to create an excellent plastifier by dissolving a toy gum, called "Pongo", by gently heating it with some Acqua Regia (Molecular formula HNO3+3 HCl).
I've obtained excellent plastic properties mixing the dissolved "Pongo" with various non-energetics powders for testing.
Now I'm going to plastify a very small batch of PETN using the dissolved "Pongo" and I'll do some hammer-testing hits, just to be sure that PETN doesn't get strangely sensitized.
Even if the Aqua Regia will evaporate in a couple of days, it obvious to think that traces will remain in PETN. Do you think that this could be a problem in some way? I'm a bit concerned of the HCl contained in Acqua Regia going in contact with PETN. What is your opinion?

Cheers :)
aldo
NeonPulse
Hazard to Others

Mood: Isolated from Reality! For Real this time....

[*] posted on 18-10-2014 at 20:32

Couldn't be good for its stability and is most likely dangerous. We neutralize PETN for good reasons.adding acid defeats the purpose. Did you try alternative solvents? Petroleum based may dissolve the stuff. If you could get the MSDS find out what its made of and choose the solvent accordingly.From what I saw its a putty clay like substance. If I was you I would find another way to plasticise the HE. Tried and tested methods are a much safer way to do this and there's no unknown nasty surprises lurking around waiting to harm you if done correctly by conventional means.

Where there is a will
there is a way.

AllCheMystery!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWbbidIY4v57uczsl0Fgv7w?vie...
VladimirLem
Hazard to Others

Mood: Have no fear <Vlad> is here.

[*] posted on 18-10-2014 at 22:33

Hi

i have no idea what kind of plasticziser is in that "Pongo" but wouldnt it better to try if it is soluble in acetone/gasoline/ethanol instead of acids?
aldofad
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 19-10-2014 at 01:02

I've discovered that "Pongo" is just plasticine...
aldofad
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 19-10-2014 at 02:11

Problem solved. I've discovered that the Acqua Regia I'm using to solve plasticine is mineral and is exactly called White Spirit, a petroleum distillate. Hence I don't see any counterindications if traces of it get in contacts with PETN. Do you agree?

Texium
Administrator

Mood: PhD candidate!

[*] posted on 19-10-2014 at 07:23

Quote: Originally posted by aldofad  
Problem solved. I've discovered that the Acqua Regia I'm using to solve plasticine is mineral and is exactly called White Spirit, a petroleum distillate. Hence I don't see any counterindications if traces of it get in contacts with PETN. Do you agree?

Err... so you're saying that your aqua regia is actually not aqua regia and is really just some kind of petroleum solvent with the brand name "Aqua Regia" ?

Come check out the Official Sciencemadness Wiki
They're not really active right now, but here's my YouTube channel and my blog.
NexusDNA
Hazard to Others

Mood: Liberated from cocoon

[*] posted on 19-10-2014 at 07:53

If the "acqua regia" is free from oxygen compounds (prone to form peroxides) it is safe.

But now, come on. You shouldn't be working with PETN if you don't even know how to distinguish aqua regia from a solvent!!!!!

Bromine, definitely bromine.
magneet
Harmless

Mood: lurking mostly

[*] posted on 19-10-2014 at 08:02

Could it be really so stupid that it actually IS aqua regia?
Would be scary at the very edge, UTFSE the net thinking that your stinky smelling bottle contained white spirit:D

Hi,
aldofad
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 19-10-2014 at 12:37

Quote: Originally posted by zts16  
Err... so you're saying that your aqua regia is actually not aqua regia and is really just some kind of petroleum solvent with the brand name "Aqua Regia" ?

The confusion was caused by the so similar names among the english/latin "Aqua Regia" (HNO3+3 HCl) and the italian "Acqua Ragia" (C10H16).
Here in Italy you buy both products at the same shop and they are both solvents.
Texium
Administrator

Mood: PhD candidate!

[*] posted on 19-10-2014 at 12:48

Quote: Originally posted by aldofad  

The confusion was caused by the so similar names among the english/latin "Aqua Regia" (HNO3+3 HCl) and the italian "Acqua Ragia" (C10H16).
Here in Italy you buy both products at the same shop and they are both solvents.
I highly doubt that you could buy actual aqua regia at a store, since it must be freshly prepared just before use, and is an extreme health hazard with its emissions of copious NOx.

Come check out the Official Sciencemadness Wiki
They're not really active right now, but here's my YouTube channel and my blog.
aldofad
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 19-10-2014 at 12:55

I highly doubt that you could buy actual aqua regia at a store, since it must be freshly prepared just before use, and is an extreme health hazard with its emissions of copious NOx.

Sold as a metal solvent for artistic painting
NexusDNA
Hazard to Others

Mood: Liberated from cocoon

[*] posted on 20-10-2014 at 07:32

Here in Brazil we have something called "aguarrás", which is a distillate from pine oils. I believe it's the same as your "acqua ragia". It's mostly aliphatic, but intuitively it should contain some amount of unsaturated compounds (terpenes) which may form peroxides upon exposure to air. I suggest you to plasticize the PETN and use it right away. Don't store it because it may become dangerously sensitized. Good luck and be safe.

Bromine, definitely bromine.
Bert
Super Administrator
Thread Moved
21-10-2014 at 05:19

Go To Top