Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Oxamide nitrate
madscientist
National Hazard

Mood: pyrophoric

[*] posted on 27-5-2002 at 18:53
Oxamide nitrate

Today I prepared a small quantity of oxamide nitrate. I took 2.1g of (CONH2)2, and placed it in 25mL of cold water. I then added 2mL of near-100% HNO3 (twice the stoichemical amount). Oxamide nitrate seems to be more water-soluble than pure oxamide; the water became a milky white, and there was far less solid on the bottom of the beaker. It is now evaporating... more news on this subject tomorrow. Looking at the thermodynamics of this compound, I think oxamide nitrate has potential to be quite a powerful explosive; and a fairly sensitive one.

I weep at the sight of flaming acetic anhydride.
madscientist
National Hazard

Mood: pyrophoric

[*] posted on 2-6-2002 at 14:21

Hm, seems that oxamide nitrate isn't as sensitive as I predicted! I was smacking little piles of it with a hammer, and I was taking chunks out of the pavement... and it wasn't going off. Out of about 30 strikes, I got two detonations.

I weep at the sight of flaming acetic anhydride.
PHILOU Zrealone
International Hazard

Member Is Online

Mood: Bis-diazo-dinitro-hydroquinonic

[*] posted on 16-8-2002 at 08:40

It should be more powerful than urea nitrate and about as sensitive (this means not far beyond-thus not very sensitive).
Madscientist:
The best thing you should do with your 100% HNO3 (by the way you don't need that concentration when making salts 40% works as good and diminish heat), here is my idea:
NH2-CO-CO-NH2 solution + CH2=O solution 1,5/1 should react to give a polymer ala ureaformol and a cyclic molecule!
Anyway (-NH-CO-CO-NH-CH2-) chain or rings will form the precipitate should be disgarded (wel make a trial on it just to be sure it is not the desired product since maybe CH2(-NH-CO-)2 is unsoluble solid) since it is unsoluble( high molecular polymer normaly); keep the clear liquid and cristallise it slowly!
Inside the resulting solid you should get the methylene oxamide that can be nitrated with HNO3 100% and H2SO4 to get :
CH2-(NNO2-CO-)2 that can free upon water boiling methylene dinitramide!

BTW if you want something powerful and sensitive, try perchlorate of urea and of oxamide!
Also I wonder if oxamide forms mono or bisalts!
NH2-CO-CO-NH2.2HNO3 or NH2-CO-CO-NH2.HNO3
NH2-CO-CO-NH2.2HClO4 or NH2-CO-CO-NH2.HClO4
Also final aspect; even if the polymer you get from formol reaction doesn't seem interesting on first look; it can also make salts...
(-CH2-CO-CO-NH(HNO3)-)n
(-CH2-CO-CO-NH(HClO4)-)n
Those salts can be nearly equal in power to RDX!
Just as a comparison: see tinny brothers
MeAN (CH3-NH3NO3) detonates at arround 6,5 km/s;
MeAP (CH3-NH3ClO4 detonates at arround 7,0km/s)(it is much more sensitive to shock than MeAN).

The later molecules (salts of polymer) must be much stronger!

PH Z
cumbustion
Harmless

Mood: what the hell k

[*] posted on 8-8-2005 at 08:21

Yes, yes, formaldehyde and nitric acid seem easy enough to obtain, but how does one get oxamide (cheaply of course)?
Joeychemist
Hazard to Others

Mood: Sedated

[*] posted on 8-8-2005 at 19:56

Oxamide is the diamide of Oxalic acid; I think that it can be prepared from Formamide by electrolysis or something. Oxamide is used as a fertilizer as a source of slowly available nitrogen, but I doubt many places would sell it.
chemoleo
Biochemicus Energeticus

Mood: crystalline

[*] posted on 8-8-2005 at 21:10

Having had this conversation recently with BromicAcid, I wondered whether it could be made i.e. from diammonium oxalate by heating, or, alternatively, by reacting urea with oxalic acid (there was a thread on this recently, from benzoic acid to benzamide).
I originally thought urea would react with oxalic acid to form the cyclic amide, but no more I think that happens, instead the normal oxamide is likely to form, with liberation of CO, H2O etc.

Does anyone have some info on the condensation of oxalic acid and urea?

[Edited on 9-8-2005 by chemoleo]

Never Stop to Begin, and Never Begin to Stop...
Tolerance is good. But not with the intolerant! (Wilhelm Busch)
cumbustion
Harmless

Mood: what the hell k

shocked.gif posted on 28-8-2005 at 18:04

This may seem a bit off topic, but...
Urea reacts with formaldehyde right?
Under controlled conditions it forms dimethylolurea right? right. So oxamide can react with formaldehyde. If oxamide reacts with formaldehyde, It should react with other aldehydes. I propose to react oxamide with glyceraldehyde under controlled conditions to form digleceryl (?) oxamide. This is than nitrated as much as possible. This salt/ester could potentially be extraordinarily powerful!:D
...Octanitrodiglycerylurea! (my naming is undoubtedly quite off...:()

EDIT: Assuming fully nitrated product, the decomposition is as follows:
C8H12O26N10 --> 6H2O + 8CO2 + 5N2 + 2O2 ... thus Aluminium powder could be added to further increase power!
Even if not fully nitrated, near (or perfect) OB!!!!:D:D:D:D

[Edited on 29-8-2005 by cumbustion]
DeAdFX
Hazard to Others

Mood: @%&$ing hardcore baby

[*] posted on 29-8-2005 at 10:50

If I remember correctly Oxamide is sold as a Urea fertilizer subsitute.

Go To Top