Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4  
Author: Subject: Readily Available Chemicals Website
grndpndr
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 31-3-2009 at 23:38

Best search engine is your imagination by far.Improvise and adapt.Vet and ranch supply,janitorial supply,water purification chem supply.Imagination!And a story to go with it.

[Edited on 1-4-2009 by grndpndr]
grndpndr
National Hazard

[*] posted on 16-5-2009 at 03:48
hexamine

I just noticed tech grade hexamine is again available from, skylighter pyrotechnic supply @ $14 lb + s/h assuming one has a use for it and purifying heat tabs is not economically viable versus gov knowledge of a use/need for pure hexamine. Your personal call on the cost of anonymity vs loss assuming any privacy to lose anyway.? pott/sod nitrate fertilizers are rapidly dissapearing here from store shelves as is Urea and pool supply products.As if that might have any effect on suicidal personality disorders.They do still stock sharp/blunt implements however?

[Edited on 16-5-2009 by grndpndr]
grndpndr
National Hazard

[*] posted on 2-7-2009 at 09:35

Should have done that earlier.(Local searchs)some years back a 'local'chem and janitorial supply sold nitric acid @$36
2.5 liters as I was on thier truck supply delivery route.Another call located sulfuric acid 93%tech grade in 15gall carboys for $151 again delivered.Far more than I can use pickling damascus steel etc.Sadly i dont know of any hobbyists in my area.Perhaps a sale on E-bay.I dont know if there not declaring thier H2SO4 as such to the PO but there not charging haz-mat that I can tell.Problem is I suspect ther trying to sell 93% tech grade as a better grade at a higher concentration.Love to see an analysis/SG.I also see chem suppliers are selling nitrate salts with a hazmat charge when the NaNO3 seems Identical from MSDS and personal experience to Nitrate of soda fertilizer,snow white prills no coatings.Identical wieghts seem to produce identical results.
Easier to find and some say its superior to KNO3 ,bit more available N.Works well for heat treating/bluing metals.Molten nitrate salts have been used for hundreds of years in g-smithing and metal work FWIW.Acids are often used to bring out the fancy damascus grain structure in knives and long ago damascus steel shotgun bbls.Again odd facts FWIW.May come on jeporadty some time?:D
jwarr
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 24-7-2009 at 06:16

Has anyone tried www.cqconcepts.com? They have pretty sweet deals on solvents (1 gal Toluene/Hexane for approx USD 15) but I'm bit hesitant since they also sell a List II chemical (MEK) at about the same price. Too good to be true?
Sedit
International Hazard

Mood: Manic Expressive

[*] posted on 24-7-2009 at 07:17

I don't see the bother in buying MEK but something that does strike me as odd on there site is the fact that Xylene and Hexane has to be shipped ground service due to its "Hazards" yet toluene does not? They also have Copper sulfate under the same regulation which makes very little sence to me in anyway shape or form.

Knowledge is useless to useless people...

"I see a lot of patterns in our behavior as a nation that parallel a lot of other historical processes. The fall of Rome, the fall of Germany — the fall of the ruling country, the people who think they can do whatever they want without anybody else's consent. I've seen this story before."~Maynard James Keenan
Vogelzang
Banned

[*] posted on 16-8-2009 at 12:14

http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=12650#...
driedfloral
Harmless

[*] posted on 7-2-2010 at 17:26

ammonium nitrate, ammonium sulfate manganese sulfate are all fertilizers easily obtained at nurseries, I'm sure I've left out a lot of things sold at nurseries and hydroponics stores so if you have any land grow a small garden
biodiesel manufacture is a new industry that commonly sells sulfuric acid, glacial acetic acid, NaOH, KOH, methanol, pH papers, phenolphthalein
nutraceutacal/weightlifting supplements are a good source of many useful things
ebay
recycling car parts, computer parts, just recycling in general you never know what you can find or make
pool supply stores
nature, plants are full of useful things especially anything in the prunus genera, opiate and opiate precursors in the papaver genera
epehdrine in yew aka taxus genera (landscape shrub/tree around probably 1/4 houses in America)
sorry for my horrible spelling and lack of details but trust me research these areas and you will find a goldmine and a diamondmine of materials
driedfloral
Harmless

[*] posted on 7-2-2010 at 21:07

sorry for the posting spree and having 3 ideas in 10 mins I am new and didn't realize to edit my post, I will next time
franklyn
International Hazard

[*] posted on 9-2-2010 at 23:25

www.soapgoods.com/Urea-Prilled-Commercial-p-751.html

www.soapgoods.com/Potassium-Permanganate-p-888.html

www.soapgoods.com/Ammonium-Sulfate-p-714.html

www.soapgoods.com/Sodium-Bisulfate-Globular-p-775.html

www.soapgoods.com/Citric-Acid-p-557.html

www.soapgoods.com/Oxalic-Acid-p-889.html

www.soapgoods.com/Zinc-Oxide-p-662.html

www.soapgoods.com/Titanium-Dioxide-p-670.html

www.soapgoods.com/Lime-Calcium-Oxide--p-679.html

www.soapgoods.com/Diatomaceous-Earth-Celatom-p-1003.html

www.soapgoods.com/Activated-Carbon-Carbon-Hydrodarco--p-1007...

www.soapgoods.com/Guar-Gum-p-880.html

www.soapgoods.com/Polyvinyl-Alcohol-p-713.html

www.soapgoods.com/Propylene-Glycol-p-673.html

and other stuff.

grndpndr
National Hazard

[*] posted on 12-6-2010 at 14:43

Axner.com a pottery/ceramics supply.
Also good stuff!For calcium nitrate terahydrate etc.
Legend Inc./lmine.com, Na-K/tech nitrates, 25lb buckets,50# sacks.litharge,bismuth,tin,silica.hotplates/stirrers..

[Edited on 12-6-2010 by grndpndr]
watson.fawkes
International Hazard

[*] posted on 13-6-2010 at 07:38

Quote: Originally posted by grndpndr  

Axner.com a pottery/ceramics supply.
Also good stuff!For calcium nitrate terahydrate etc.
Legend Inc./lmine.com, Na-K/tech nitrates, 25lb buckets,50# sacks.litharge,bismuth,tin,silica.hotplates/stirrers.
Of particular interest at Axner is their page of raw materials. As of a few years ago, Axner is now a part of Laguna Clay, a major distributor of ceramics materials. Laguna has huge presence as a supplier to retail ceramics shops in the US, so chances are that there's someone local who can special order materials from Laguna and have them shipped in with their next truck delivery. This is hugely cheaper than paying for UPS shipping for 50 lb sacks. Admittedly, it won't show up instantly, but there are plenty of times where money is worth more than rapid delivery.

On a road trip recently, I stopped off and paid a visit to Legend (whose web site is lmine.com) in Sparks, NV, just east of Reno on I-80. It's a pretty bustling little operation. I had some technical questions that the manager (owner?) answered for me. (Specifically, of their two kinds of crucibles they sell, one is based on silicon carbide and the other on alumina; not so important for melting, but could be important for reactions.) I chatted him up about the nature of their business. Their main body of customers are field prospectors; I had no idea there was so much of that activity left, but there's plenty of it, particularly in Nevada. My surmise is that the initial waves of prospectors, those over the first century of mining in the US West, just didn't care about whole classes of minerals (oh, say, titanium), and that now the whole region is being re-prospected for a new era of materials science.

Incidentally, the nitrates at Legend come prilled and packed in quite nice plastic buckets whose lids ratchet close and have an O-ring seal to them. I don't know if they sell empty buckets, but they're ideal for storing bulk tech-grade hydroscopics. And if you show up in person like I did, there's no shipping charge, though you do pay NV sales tax.
peach
Bon Vivant

[*] posted on 24-7-2010 at 13:58

Quote:
And if you show up in person like I did, there's no shipping charge, though you do pay NV sales tax

Pay in cash and visit the bunny ranch. :P

SHADYCHASE54
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 27-1-2011 at 07:40

Just a quick tip Jd Photochem listed as a Canadian supplier is no longer in business. She shut down a couple years back and sumilarily sold off all her stock.
zmth
Harmless

[*] posted on 31-1-2011 at 22:01

Another thing one can do as i have done is this. Most of the major chemical suppliers won't sell to individuals and check whether where you want them shipped is residential or not but there are some minor places that will at higher prices etc. But anyway since it is more convenient and cheaper to deal with the major industrial suppliers look for a vacant commercially zoned place nearby , the smaller and less well known the better (like ups etc. probably are going to know you don't have a business the size of a typical wall-mart sized building) or perhaps even an empty storage unit . So now you give that to the chemical supplier as your company address. They will probably also ask for some company papers etc. but one can fake that also - just use your imagination to set up an account and will usually take credit cards. Now they usually don't check phone numbers which usually go on the parcels and the company selling the items will request that and it is to your advantage to have your tel no. on the packages. Now you can get the tracking numbers of your items when they are sent but before they arrive but really you don't even have to do that .Anyway just call up ups or they will call you and say you want the items redirected which is not too uncommon and ups and Fed Ex will usually do it - in my situation they will even call you and say the place is empty where do you want the items delivered. Ups is easier to deal with as you can even say you will go and pick them up instead. Anyway other things you can say to ups is well we were going rent the place but had a problem with the lease etc. or it was not ready as the landlord promised and the chemical company did not get the updated address but they, ups or Fed Ex, usually don't ask any questions - just use your imagination if necessary.
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 8-2-2011 at 23:24

@zmth: What you describe is asking for BIG BIG trouble. Maybe not now, but one day it will turn back to you like a boomerang. This is exactly how one should not do things. This only gives a bad name to home chemistry and makes the hobby even more suspicious.

A MUCH better option is to do your best to find suppliers of chemicals which are willing to do business with individuals. They still exist and most of us still are able to find the chemicals they want. Put some effort in it, and you will find.

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
Regolith
Hazard to Self

Mood: Glacial

[*] posted on 10-2-2011 at 06:05

I find the reverse the better idea. A real numbered company can function above board without the cops looking in. Plus if this went bad you can always close the company. It's highly unlikely unless something explodes or someone (you) ends up the hospital following said explosion the fed will EVER look in on you. The squeaky wheel gets the grease sorta thing. About your company you can say it's whatever the hell you want, pottery, soapmaking, heck saltwater aquarium research. Al-capone went to prison for tax evasion (fake companies), not the hugh amount of people he killed/ordered killed.

You don't want weird things happening with packages labeled with danger symbols. Ups in this day and age is probably gonna think it's out of the ordinary for 4L of concentrated nitric acid (marked as such) to be suddenly picked up rather than shipped. Thats what the jihadis are doing.

A real company listed as soapmaking, can't have the cops drop by without a warrant and search the place, no explosion/weird things happening, no warrant.
A fake company the cops will get a warrant just for the fake company and then search your whole house/jail you like Mr. Capone.
bbartlog
International Hazard

[*] posted on 13-2-2011 at 18:59

Having recently acquired two milk cows I had occasion to visit the local branch of the Tractor Supply Company. Lots of livestock supplies, farm stuff and so on as expected. Noticed the following, of possible interest to hobby chemists:

- for those who want to extract small amounts of iodine from medicinal solution, the gallon jugs of Dairlyand Iodine Teat Dip (for milk cows) are a much better deal than some drugstore tincture. $9.99 for a gallon, it's 0.5% iodine. On the downside it has surfactants to promote foaming... some strategies for separation might be made more difficult.
- they also carry (same section) Dairyland Milkstone Remover, which is mostly phosphoric acid (56% of it is 75% strength phosphoric acid... why they don't just list it as 42% phosphoric acid, I don't know). At $11.99 for a gallon, it's a pretty good deal.
- still in the dairy section, they also have USP propylene glycol in gallon containers. Not as economical as distilling antifreeze as it's $25 a gallon, but still not a bad price.
- they have welding gas canisters and refills available for sale to the general public (as far as I can tell, I didn't try to buy one). Acetylene, argon/CO2 mix, argon, and oxygen all available. No idea whether the prices were any good.

In other respects they had less items of interest than a typical big-box hardware store in the US - no solvents for example, no muriatic acid or H2SO4 drain cleaner. Though they did have OTC penicillin and tetracycline ('NOT FOR HUMAN USE' of course).
Nilson
Harmless

[*] posted on 24-2-2011 at 12:18

http://whatsinproducts.com/index.php

^^ used it to find a product w/ 90% DCM. It was however unfortunate that I misread the label, which said "Semi-Paste Stripper." I interpreted this to mean it was for removing paste, not that the liquid inside was indeed itself, a semi-paste. I had one hell of a time removing a huge blob from my 1L boiling flask.
quicksilver
International Hazard

Mood: ~-=SWINGS=-~

[*] posted on 10-3-2011 at 11:33

Quote: Originally posted by woelen  
@zmth: What you describe is asking for BIG BIG trouble. Maybe not now, but one day it will turn back to you like a boomerang. This is exactly how one should not do things. This only gives a bad name to home chemistry and makes the hobby even more suspicious.

A MUCH better option is to do your best to find suppliers of chemicals which are willing to do business with individuals. They still exist and most of us still are able to find the chemicals they want. Put some effort in it, and you will find.

I can only underline vigorously what woelen has said! This is more than simply true: it is a fact of life! There was a crap-book published some many years back re: drug mfg and this "technique" of "acquisition" was the example. It is SO well known that not only is it inviting trouble, gives the hobby a bad rep, but it also starts a ball rolling down-hill where you really DON'T want it to go. PLEASE do not do this. Use legit means to legit ends. Stay legal, relax and enjoy life and your hobby. Even IF your intent is to assey silver you are finding, pulling gold from quartz, growing crystals for photography, etc, etc.....purchasing materials in a manner that uses sub-rosa agenda will put you in the position to defend a perfectly innocent pastime. Don't let the temptation fool you as this agenda is SO well known that it's painting a bulls-eye on your back for no real reason. It is unquestionably true that IF you put in the time, you will find more than places like eBay to shop for chemicals, glassware, & tools. What's more these places WANT your business. It's just that it's a two-way street. They as businesses have to do things in a legit, above-board manner.

[Edited on 10-3-2011 by quicksilver]

Eliteforum
National Hazard

Mood: Enjoying the journey

[*] posted on 13-7-2011 at 14:50

Really? Post google search terms that'll give the website away in the first result. Saves this website the backlash once some nub tries to make meth or enough AP to blow up a shopping centre..

All that glitters isn't gold.
overload
Hazard to Self

Mood: miserable fat slave

[*] posted on 15-7-2011 at 14:27

It would be nice to find a company that sold to individuals with the variety of chemicals that sigmaaldrich.com offers.

sigmaaldrich.com wont even sell you water without having your own company and your own commercially or industrially zoned building that they can ship the water to safely.
xwinorb
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 30-12-2011 at 16:05
Hexamine

I just noticed grndpndr post on the Skylighter ( aka. Cheap Chemicals I think ) on hexamine.

I have used his hexamine for two different small projects some time ago, good results for one, not so good for another.

His hexamine worked OK for a Sulfuric Duff formylation. I think I was lucky here BTW.

I have also tried to use it to make methylamine . HCl, and the results were no good at all. I got a green slime byproduct and low yelds, even after filtering out the green stuff with Celite. I never had similar problems with the fuel tablet version.

I am not 100 % sure about it, but next time I need pure hexamine I will be getting it from another source.

If I am wrong on something here, please post and/or email me.

xw.
DGoncz
Harmless

Mood: IMOK

[*] posted on 23-2-2012 at 04:53

I looked at Organic Chemicals in the web site given in the original post and found ethanol and butanol but not isopropranol--gas drier on sale at Target, 10 ounces, 59 cents American, usually available at gas stations, convenience stores, and grocery retail at closer to $3/12 ounces. Available on order from pharmacy at about $2/16 ounces. I store mine in the freezer. I've been building isopropanol stoves from aluminum soda cans. They burn with a bright light. I'm adding globes. Not the usual ultralight camper fare.
Some Ace Hardware has vermiculite, a good furnace insulation and for some uses, a column packing. Years ago, asbestos was found in one of many, many vermiculite mines and the lawyers got hold of it. No big-box store will sell the stuff.
TheChemINC
Hazard to Self

Mood: fuming

[*] posted on 23-2-2012 at 14:24

despite the fact that sodium azide is extremely explosive, i have heard that it is also extremely toxic......
ScienceSquirrel
International Hazard
Thread Pruned
13-3-2012 at 05:29
dann2
International Hazard

[*] posted on 28-3-2012 at 10:36

Aldi is selling Hexamine (UK) this week. Sound cheap

Why is there two threads on the same thing. Can they not be merged?

[Edited on 28-3-2012 by dann2]
 Pages:  1  2    4  

Go To Top