Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3    5
Author: Subject: Readily Available Chemicals Website
I am a fish
undersea enforcer

Mood: Ichthyoidal

[*] posted on 26-1-2004 at 08:41

I've corrected the entries for propylene glycol and lead.

Thanks for your help.

Can anyone find any more mistakes?

1f `/0u (4|\\| |234d 7|-|15, `/0u |234||`/ |\\|33d 70 937 0u7 /\\/\\0|23.
Geomancer
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 26-1-2004 at 10:18

Unfortunately, Sucanat appears to be 88 percent sucrose, with the remainder being all types of stuff. Might be a tasty product (I haven't seen it), but it would be a lousy source of glycolic acid. I think that the main route to the acid is electrochemical reduction of oxalic acid (I may be wrong here). It is used in some cleaning solutions, you may be able to find a relatively pure one. In the US, a common product is "CLR", for dissolving Comthing (it's a soft c), Lime, and Rust. It contains mostly glycolic, citric, and sulfamic acids along with the usual small amounts of surfactants and whatnot. Separation may prove difficult.
I am a fish
undersea enforcer

Mood: Ichthyoidal

[*] posted on 26-1-2004 at 11:05

Quote:
Originally posted by Geomancer
Unfortunately, Sucanat appears to be 88 percent sucrose, with the remainder being all types of stuff. Might be a tasty product (I haven't seen it), but it would be a lousy source of glycolic acid.

Thanks,

I'll look into it.

Quote:

In the US, a common product is "CLR", for dissolving Comthing (it's a soft c), Lime, and Rust. It contains mostly glycolic, citric, and sulfamic acids along with the usual small amounts of surfactants and whatnot. Separation may prove difficult.

Thanks. However, I avoid placing mixtures on the list, unless they are extremely easy to seperate, or one of the chemicals is particularly useful. Citric acid and sulphamic acid are both available from multiple sources and gycolic acid isn't particularly useful.

1f `/0u (4|\\| |234d 7|-|15, `/0u |234||`/ |\\|33d 70 937 0u7 /\\/\\0|23.
axehandle
Free Radical

Mood: horny

[*] posted on 26-1-2004 at 16:30

Goody. This is country specific, but you can get
pure copper, zinc and aluminium from Metallvaruhuset.se as well.

(As well as bronze, aluminium bronze, etc.)

They ship overseas.

My PGP key, Fingerprint 5D96 E09E 365D 1867 2DF5 C2FE 4269 9C19 E079 CD35

\"Verbing nouns weirds the language!\"
axehandle
Free Radical

[*] posted on 11-2-2004 at 23:28

How about having links in your list to specific suppliers in different countries, at least for "innocent" chemicals like platinum, copper, etc?

I could contribute all the Swedish ones I know of.

thunderfvck
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 12-2-2004 at 00:25

I don't know how specific you are trying to be in your tables (which I am extremely grateful for), but Draino has semi-pure NaOH pellets in it, along with pure aluminum pieces.
Camping fuel is also a source of petroleum ether/naptha.
And 98% H2SO4 is found in Clear-Line drain cleaner, which is red colored. I might assume that most sulphuric acid drain cleaners tinted red are of the same purity.

I want to add that I am tired and too lazy to look at the site to see if the above mentioned are included in your tables. Perhaps it might be good to include a link in each category giving specific brand names and associated purities. A lot of work but I'm sure enough data can be compiled over time to get the job done.

Thanks again for a wonderful list.

axehandle
Free Radical

[*] posted on 20-2-2004 at 03:22

Diatomaceous earth (aka kiselgur, fossilized algae), used as a carrier for catalysts as well as for making dynamite (as it was first made), is also used as a nutritional supplement for horses. A vet or "horse supply store" or major pet hospitals should have it.

Hermes_Trismegistus
National Hazard

Mood: conformation:ga

[*] posted on 20-2-2004 at 14:08
Diatomaceous Earth

Is also used in pool filters (extrememly finely powdered and will cause silicosis if inhaled too much)

However the CHEAPEST source is from a garden supply. Its an organic pest supply

It's used outdoors to kill aphids and indoors :D to kill the red mites that plague certain:P indoor growers

http://www.commonsensecare.com/diatomaceous-earth.html

2 bucks a lb in the US

http://www.d-earth.co.uk/

who knows? probably pretty cheap

Arguing on the internet is like running in the special olympics; even if you win: you\'re still retarded.
The_Davster
A pnictogen

Mood: .

[*] posted on 6-3-2004 at 18:32

I found oxalic acid at the pharmacy under the name "salts of lemon". Expensive though, 3.50(canadian) for 25g
Mumbles
Hazard to Others

Mood: Procrastinating

[*] posted on 6-3-2004 at 18:36

Hmmmmm, odd. I've seen the same name of a product here, and it's citric acid. The only way I can buy Oxalic acid pure is as wood bleach. I could leach from wood I suppose.
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
The_Davster
A pnictogen

[*] posted on 6-3-2004 at 21:16

Mumbles, you have got me worried that what I purchased is not oxalic acid, even though it says so on the front. Do you know of any tests to distinguish one from the other? Mabey a polymerization with a diol?
BromicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Rock n' Roll

[*] posted on 25-5-2004 at 15:01

I was looking at the side of a big bag of algecide that we use at my work. The active ingredient is ethylamine copper complex, the bags are about 15 Kg each and contain .5 kg of copper as elemental copper. Maybe this could be used as a source of ethylamine.

EDIT: It's actually ethanolamine that the complex is made from not ethylamine, sorry :(

[Edited on 5/27/2004 by BromicAcid]

Shamelessly plugging my attempts at writing fiction: http://www.robvincent.org
The_Davster
A pnictogen

[*] posted on 24-12-2004 at 23:44

I found some water purifier tablets today that contain 7% sodium chlorite. The other 93% is not listed but it is a non active ingredient.

HNO3
Hazard to Others

thumbup.gif posted on 25-12-2004 at 18:14
Great job!!!!!!

But H2B4O7 isn't right, is it?
I can get phosphoric acid as concrete etchant. I can get 95.5-99.2% pure KNO3 as stump remover. Don't believe me on the purity? Hang your eyes on this. And just so I can brag, I'm attaching MY 'Chemical equivilancy list'.

Rats, it never attached.:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

[Edited on 12-26-04 by HNO3]

\"In the beginning, God...\" Wait a minute, God doesn\'t exist!!!!!!!!!! \"OK, in the beginning, ummm, hydrogen...\" Wait a minute, what about the laws of thermodynamics? \"OK, in the beginning, ummm.....UMMMMM, what\'s left to choose from?
sparkgap
International Hazard

Mood: chaotropic

[*] posted on 16-1-2005 at 06:02

Sorry for bringing up this old post, but from what I gather, metaformaldehyde, a.k.a. trioxane is different from metaldehyde, one from formaldehyde and the other from acetaldehyde. Trioxane is frequently used in camp stoves, while metaldehyde is used for desiccating snails to their doom. Metaldehyde is sometimes used, however, as fuel.

Please correct me if I'm wrong...
Dream of the iris
Harmless

[*] posted on 13-1-2006 at 13:04

Iron oxide is sold as concrete coloring in a fine powder. It's sold in 1lb boxes at Home Depot.

Toluene and Xylene are sold at Ace Hardware in the paint thinning section. They are sold as the Ace hardware brand "Toluene" and "Xylene" :) Ace Hardware also sells H2SO4 at pretty pure concentrations as "Rooto Drain Cleaner".

Citric acid is sold at Target (Supertarget) in the grocery section where the spices are. I forgot what it's called, maybe "Food Fresh" or something? It's used to preserve foods for canning IIRC.

\"Woah! Ok, you\'re now shooting your imaginary friend in front of 400 gallons of nitroglycern!\"
-Tyler Durden, Fight Club
Dream of the iris
Harmless

[*] posted on 30-1-2006 at 11:32

Methyl Alcohol is sold as HEET Gas Line Antifreeze in the automotive section of SuperWalMart and I'm sure in any automotive store.

\"Woah! Ok, you\'re now shooting your imaginary friend in front of 400 gallons of nitroglycern!\"
-Tyler Durden, Fight Club
DeAdFX
Hazard to Others

Mood: @%&$ing hardcore baby

[*] posted on 1-2-2006 at 16:04

Found some sulfuric acid for fairly cheap... I don't know concentration or if it would be useful for chemistry but if you have used the brand before please comment..

http://shop.incomsupply.com/shop/find2.asp

type in sulfuric acid in search if the link doesnt wortk
16MillionEyes
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 16-7-2007 at 16:52

Apperantely you have to be a member to use the site properly.
Anyway, do any of you recommend a trustable site where to find electronic balances?
quicksilver
International Hazard

Mood: ~-=SWINGS=-~

[*] posted on 20-8-2007 at 08:18

Enclosed is updated "Watch List" for chemicals (2007) via DHS. This is at variance from the DEA's Watch List. While the DEA focuses on drug mfg, the DHS focuses on Terrorism.
While some of the industrial solvents like acetone make people wonder at what level or amount does this appear to be a watched material - the best answer would be at levels higher than personal use if not bought by a business.

Looking closely, the thrust appears to be circumventing chem-wep development. This then begs the question of the "at what level" the individual has to be cautious..... My opinion would be if you live in a city or area where you have busy-bodies making themselves into detectives; you may need to be cautious with even the most simple and classic experiments.

Attachment: DHS Chemical Watchlist 2007.pdf (266kB)
This file has been downloaded 1919 times

pantone159
National Hazard

Mood: desperate for shade

[*] posted on 20-8-2007 at 13:16

Quote:
Originally posted by quicksilver
Enclosed is updated "Watch List" for chemicals (2007) via DHS.

Following is a version of the list with threshold quantities. Any threshold above zero likely has no significance for hobbyists, as almost all the thresholds are a ton (c. 900 kg) or more.
http://www.dhs.gov/xprevprot/laws/gc_1175537180929.shtm

However, quite a few limits are listed as 'Any Amount'. Following are two letters, from ACS and American Council on Education
http://membership.acs.org/c/ccs/pubs/white_papers/DHS_Commen...
http://www.aau.edu/homeland/ACE_DHS_ChemAgts_5-9-07.pdf
that explain how this would be enormously burdensome to university etc. labs.

I also noticed that the phosphorus chloride listings seem to be inconsistent, e.g. POCl3 is listed both with 'Any Amount' as threshold and also 2000 lbs (c. 900 kg).
franklyn
International Hazard

[*] posted on 23-2-2008 at 17:16
Where to get chemicals

Feb 11, 2005

http://www.talkabouttheatre.com/group/rec.pyrotechnics/messa...

grndpndr
National Hazard

[*] posted on 19-8-2008 at 09:42

Quote:
Originally posted by Cappy
ammonium nitrate - 34-0-0 fertilzer

potassium nitrate - 13.5-0-46 fertilizer

urea - 46-0-0 fertilizer

There are several other formulations, but these are the main ones that have relatively pure chemicals. It should be noted that sometimes there will be a polymer coating on the grains to reduce solubility for slower absorption.

Unfortunately, places like Home Depot don't have enough selection to offer the pure formulations, which are less useful to gardeners.

My local ace hardware as well as online at greater cost/paper w/shipping 15-0-0 nitrate of soda (sodium nitrate) nice white prills easly dissolved w/o any residue and works as well as pharmacy pot nitrate for nitrations except less of the sodium nitrate is required. $6-4lbs as i recall.
I would like to find 25lb sacks as this may be good to stock up on as I dont believe that will last, $1.50-$2.00 lb for pyro quality sodium nitrate w/o paper.And such a basic precursor
for a large % of experiments.They also stock SA drain cleaner
called SANTEEN,heavily dyed, adequate as is for nitrations leaving no discoloration/change in performance ive noticed.
You can boil it for few minutes before it turns to a thick white smoke but it made no dfference in actual use. Sold in quart to gallon plastic bag covered plastic jugs i cant recall exact prices but around $15-gallon,what can I say its a small town.Ive also bought new car batt. electrolyte from garages
about 30% SA a little pricey but w/o the dyes and many of the impurities always made a nice product but so does recovered clarified used electrolyte much cheaper but with more work,more questions.
[Edited on 19-8-2008 by grndpndr]

grndpndr
National Hazard

[*] posted on 17-2-2009 at 14:56

Judging by color nice clear yellowish tint Ace haredware in another store has switched to a superior SA called liquid fire in a red jug with plastic bag.since ive posted last sod nitrate and urea have become far more difficult to obtain even online and in some instances the inexpensive fertilizer route is over (sodium nitrate) urea is still temp available for some $7/5lbs.I also saw several gov reports concerning the availability of sod nit,urea.35% HYD PER. etc and imp explosives.Not to mention the tripling of prices fo firearms and ammo sold in large part to bo voters.

[Edited on 17-2-2009 by grndpndr]
grndpndr
National Hazard

shocked.gif posted on 21-2-2009 at 07:09
Where the govt and here to, help

also off topic but somewhat related the state dept is considering the banning of certain imported ammo namely AR/M16 5.56 nato,7.672nato.7.62x39 AK/SKS ammo as well as many pistol ammo's.Ties directly into banning sales of incresing mumbers of solvents and fertilizers.State dept claims hyd Per 35% sodium nitrate, and some others are next to go.

It appears the govt wants to create a nursery style safe enviroment or are concerned the people may choose not to surrender thier bill of rights so easily and the next best thing to a pliable populace is a defenseless one.:(
 Pages:  1    3    5

Go To Top