Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4  5
Author: Subject: Readily Available Chemicals Website
Polverone
Now celebrating 21 years of madness

Mood: Waiting for spring

[*] posted on 2-4-2003 at 10:58
in urea instant cold packs...

The urea is mixed with water released from a burstable pouch, as in the ammonium nitrate packs.
Cappy
Hazard to Self

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 9-4-2003 at 23:15

ammonium nitrate - 34-0-0 fertilzer

potassium nitrate - 13.5-0-46 fertilizer

urea - 46-0-0 fertilizer

There are several other formulations, but these are the main ones that have relatively pure chemicals. It should be noted that sometimes there will be a polymer coating on the grains to reduce solubility for slower absorption.

Unfortunately, places like Home Depot don't have enough selection to offer the pure formulations, which are less useful to gardeners.
PHILOU Zrealone
International Hazard

Mood: Bis-diazo-dinitro-hydroquinonic

smile.gif posted on 10-4-2003 at 03:08

NH4NO3 --> N2H4O3 --> 28g/N per mole NH4NO3 (80g)
thus 35% by weight!

KNO3 --> 14g N and 39,1g K per mole KNO3 (101,1g)
thus 13,84% N bw and 38,67% K bw!

NH2-CO-NH2 --> N2H4CO --> 28g N per mole (60g)
thus 46,66% N bw!

Thus the reference numbers X Y Z
X = % Nitrogen (N)
Y = % Phosphorus (P)
Z = % Kalium (Potassium) (K)

Those are listed as NPK fertilisers!
AN --> 35 0 0
U --> 46,6 0 0
PN --> 13,8 0 38,6

Urea nitrate (UN), guanidine nitrate (GN), potassium phosphate (PP), ammonium phosphate (AP)
UN --> 34,1 0 0
GN --> 45,6 0 0
MPP --> 0 22,8 28,7
DPP --> 0 17,8 44,9
TPP --> 0 14,6 55,2
MAP --> 12,1 26,9 0
DAP --> 21,2 23,5 0
TAP --> 28,2 20,8 0

Also possible K sulfate, NH4 sulfate, Mg nitrate, Mg sulfate, Ca cyanamide (CaN-CN), Ca nitrate, ....

:cool:

PH Z (PHILOU Zrealone)

"Physic is all what never works; Chemistry is all what stinks and explodes!"-"Life that deadly disease, sexually transmitted."(W.Allen)
madscientist
National Hazard

Mood: pyrophoric

[*] posted on 12-4-2003 at 16:09

Trichloroethene is sold as "Carbo Sol," a solvent. Glycolic acid is sold as "Sucanat," an alternative sugar (also, a solution of it is sold as "sugar cane juice";) - purity is not exceptional. Copper napthenate is sold as Jasco Termin-8 Wood Preservative Green (25% solution).

I weep at the sight of flaming acetic anhydride.
Organikum
resurrected

Mood: busy and in love

[*] posted on 13-4-2003 at 19:53
platinum oxidation catalyst

coated on plastic is found in some contact-lens cleaner set working with H2O2. The replacement parts - catalyst coated, can be got quite cheap at EBAY or have a look for discount offers.
Works.
At least for cleaning contact lenses. ;)
I am a fish
undersea enforcer

Mood: Ichthyoidal

[*] posted on 25-4-2003 at 05:30

Quote:
Trichloroethene is sold as "Carbo Sol," a solvent. Glycolic acid is sold as "Sucanat," an alternative sugar (also, a solution of it is sold as "sugar cane juice";) - purity is not exceptional. Copper napthenate is sold as Jasco Termin-8 Wood Preservative Green (25% solution).

Thanks

I've added sucanat and wood preservative. Can you provide any reference for Carbo Sol?

1f `/0u (4|\\| |234d 7|-|15, `/0u |234||`/ |\\|33d 70 937 0u7 /\\/\\0|23.
Haggis
Hazard to Others

Mood: Lacrymating

[*] posted on 25-4-2003 at 07:48

I can be a second confirmation on the Carbo-sol. It is indeed trichloroethane. I don't know if you need an internet source, but I can confirm the contents.
I am a fish
undersea enforcer

[*] posted on 25-4-2003 at 11:18

The single letter typo strikes again!

Trichloroethane seems far more likely. Madscientist said trichloroethene which of course is not the same thing. Am I right in thinking that it's the 1,1,1 isomer?

Cappy
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 1-5-2003 at 13:02
Plastic Wrap

Chemical Name (Common Name) [Source] {Notes}

Polyethylene (Low Density Polyethylene) [Plastic Cling Wrap] {Contains Proprietary Cling Agents}

Poly Vinylidene Chloride (Saran) [Saran Original Plastic Wrap] {Contains acetyl tributyl citrate (ATBC) plasticizer}

Despite the additives, the purity of the plastic wraps is very high.

[Edited on 5/1/2003 by Cappy]
madscientist
National Hazard

Mood: pyrophoric

[*] posted on 1-5-2003 at 14:41

"Carbo Sol" is trichloroeth<b>e</b>ne. :)

1,1,1,-trichloroeth<b>a</b>ne supposedly is also sold as a solvent, but I have yet to find it (not that I've put a serious effort into finding it, though).

I weep at the sight of flaming acetic anhydride.
Organikum
resurrected

[*] posted on 1-5-2003 at 19:50
build your ship or airplane

with the help of
www.fibreglast.com

item #70 styrene
item #69 MEKP, methyl-ethyl-ketone peroxide. with cobalt promotor. Hm.

polystyrene can also be made by thermal decomposition of polystyrol. No reference, sorry.

[Edited on 2-5-2003 by Organikum]
Cappy
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 14-5-2003 at 23:59
Tetrafluoroethane

I don't know if this has any use, but the GC Electronics Airjet contains 100% 1, 1, 1, 2-tetrafluoroethane (811-97-2).

It is non flamable, and can be condensed at aerosol can pressures.
Haggis
Hazard to Others

Mood: Lacrymating

[*] posted on 15-5-2003 at 04:04

When turned upside down and sprayed, the cans shoot a jet of the tetraflouroethane. This jet evaporates quickly and gets very cold all of a sudden. I was thinking that this could be used to cool down reactions in a hurry. I would imagine the gas is fairly inert, but I wouldn't spray it directly into your mixture. A few quick sprays on the bottom of the glassware would be enough to drop it a good amount of degrees. Just spray more as soon as the first 'frost' dissappears, which is in around 3-5 seconds

[Edited on 15-5-2003 by Haggis]
Polverone

[*] posted on 15-5-2003 at 09:15
even better

Find a way to chemically oxidize the tetrafluroethane under reasonable conditions. You should be able to obtain trifluoroacetic acid.
jimwig
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 17-5-2003 at 06:38
lead and salts

forgive me if this was already posted but my experience with lead-sulfate batteries might be of use.

If one deconstructs a said battery one finds

sulfuric acid (dilute)
a great quantity of lead/antimony metal
like quantity of lead dioxide.
BromicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Rock n' Roll

[*] posted on 17-7-2003 at 16:42

Im actually looking for some source of nitrobenzene and I'm wondering if anyone has gone before me on this quest. Via internet information I have found that it comes in furniture polish, pesticides, and I've seen it in gun cleaning solutions, it is a highly mass produced chemical (in the top 50's) so I'm assuming that there might be a somewhat more pure source for it, or just further information on percent content in some of the afformentioned things, I'm going to start on my quest in ernest tommorow but any help from this community would be appreciated.
Polverone

[*] posted on 17-7-2003 at 17:51

Nitrobenzene may be produced in large quantities, but I doubt you'll find much of it in consumer products due to its high toxicity. As mentioned elsewhere on this site, if you can't buy benzene it is possible to make it by a Friedel-Crafts alkylation/dealkylation reaction. Combine (nearly) anhydrous AlI3/AlCl3 and toluene, heat, distill off the benzene as it it's formed.

Wild musing: won't the aluminum halide be dried by refluxing with toluene anyway... so you might be able to start off with not-so-anhydrous material? I recall that Ullmann says a small quantity of alcohol or water needs to be added over time anyway, as absolutely anhydrous aluminum halides lose their effect.

The methyl groups will go on to make xylene and mesitylene. The wide BP difference should allow you to get a pretty good benzene separation. This can be nitrated in the usual way to nitrobenzene.

Apart from volatility, is there a simple test that will distinguish between benzene and its methylated brethren?
BromicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Rock n' Roll

[*] posted on 17-7-2003 at 18:43

To answer your question that somewhat relates to mine a simple test to distinguish between benzene and it's brotherhood of the methyl group is simple oxidation. Benzene is stable to a wide variety of oxidizing agents (H2SO4/K2Cr2O7 comes to mind) but the methyl groups (and longer carbon chains) are chewed up and turned to benzoic acid and the like. Although benzoic acid is soluble in benzene and toluene and xylenes if you allow them to evaporate you should end up with the tell tale flakes of benzoic acid if it contains the methyl groups but if it is pure benzene then there should be no residue (except maybe residue from oxidizing agents), exp. if it was distilled before hand.
Organikum
resurrected

[*] posted on 19-7-2003 at 19:27

Quote:
.... it is possible to make it by a Friedel-Crafts alkylation/dealkylation reaction. Combine (nearly) anhydrous AlI3/AlCl3 and toluene, heat, distill off the benzene as it it's formed.

I posted it in the benzene thread already, it seems favorable to use iodine instead of chlorine for the reverse Friedl-Craffts (de)alkylation.
No need for AlCl3 anhydrous this way: Iodine and Al dumped in toluene, distilling benzene out - a big column will be favorable for separation. Re-alkylation should be a minor problem this way.

Irgendwas is ja immer
kryss
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 7-8-2003 at 15:24

(UK) I was looking at the labpak website noticed a few things like diethyl ether / acetaldehye & toluene are prescribed. Thing is KNO3/CLO3 etc arent.Is this because of their use in drugs processing?
I am a fish
undersea enforcer

[*] posted on 13-8-2003 at 11:04

Quote:
Originally posted by kryss
(UK) I was looking at the labpak website noticed a few things like diethyl ether / acetaldehye & toluene are prescribed. Thing is KNO3/CLO3 etc arent.Is this because of their use in drugs processing?

Most probably.

The ban is particularly stupid when you consider that Diethyl Ether and Toluene can both be bought from Halfords (as 'Cold Start Spray' and 'Cellulose Thinner' respectively).

axehandle
Free Radical

Mood: horny

[*] posted on 25-1-2004 at 13:48

You've listed:
"Lead Pb Lead Shot Gun Supplier Contains 1% antimony"

which is inaccurate. Bullets for handloading can contain anything from 0 to 10% antimony, and they all contain a percentage if tin as well to lower the alloy's melting temp. and improve the viscosity to allow for easier casting.

A source for (almost) pure lead is any scrapyard that deals with used medical X-ray shielding plate. That's how I've gotten all lead I've used. One side of the plates are usually covered with paint, which you can remove by melting the plates in portions and
skim the smelly, half-burnt paint off the top with a *swedish->english blackout* one of those kithen things with a handle and a round plate with holes in it.

Price: Approx. 2,5kg/$ where I got it, and a suitable excuse is "I'm casting toy soldiers".

(Another source, in Sweden, is "Metallvaruhuset". The price is horrendous though, something like $10/kg..., on the other hand it's 99,9% pure.)

My PGP key, Fingerprint 5D96 E09E 365D 1867 2DF5 C2FE 4269 9C19 E079 CD35

\"Verbing nouns weirds the language!\"
axehandle
Free Radical

Mood: horny

[*] posted on 25-1-2004 at 13:55

Also a source for pure platinum as well as platinum-rhodium/platinum-palladium alloy, is
any jeweller (one that actually makes jewelry,
not a retail store). If you, like me, ask really really nicely, you should eventually get lucky.

The one that will get my platinum agreed to purchase 2 grams for me when he's making his next bulk noble metal order from "insert big company that don't sell to individuals here".

My excuse was "catalyst research experiment to improve environmental friendlyness of combustion engines". Cosy, who could refuse? Don't say "catalyst for sulfuric acid production". =)

My PGP key, Fingerprint 5D96 E09E 365D 1867 2DF5 C2FE 4269 9C19 E079 CD35

\"Verbing nouns weirds the language!\"
vulture
Forum Gatekeeper

[*] posted on 25-1-2004 at 14:02

Nitrobenzene:

Aniline + H2SO5 ---> nitrobenzene

I know, it seems odd to reverse the industrial process, but if it's the only way you can get it...

One shouldn't accept or resort to the mutilation of science to appease the mentally impaired.
Geomancer
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 25-1-2004 at 15:34

Propylene glycol is propan-1,2-diol, not 1,3.

Vulture: Have you found a way to get aniline OTC? I always thought you would have to go through nitrobenzene (or perhaps chlorobenzene or benzylamide).
 Pages:  1  2    4  5

Go To Top