Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Recommendations for a hotplate?
DrMario
Hazard to Others

Mood: Underpaid.

[*] posted on 27-10-2014 at 04:46

Quote: Originally posted by j_sum1  
I think the one I linked to up thread.
http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=41282&...

This one? http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/271274303830?ssPageName=STRK:MEWA...

OK, that's not the one I intended to buy.
But I will, I am almost sure at this point, get a cheap Chinese stirring hotplate eventually. There's a bit better choice of stirring hotplates from China on AliExpress.
adamsium
Hazard to Others

Mood: uprooting

[*] posted on 27-10-2014 at 04:52

I have a 110 V IKA hotplate, although I am in Australia. I just use a stepdown transformer. I waited patiently (for a year or so) to get exactly what I wanted at a good price. I've found that, if you're patient, you'll find what you want for a very good price on ebay eventually. It was a similar story with my balance - that took a couple of years, but was well worth the wait. Both the hotplate and balance are much better than I need, but I see no problem with that

Edit to add: here is an example of the 'Bante' hotplates: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Brand-New-MS400-Hot-Plate-Magneti...

http://www.bante-china.com/Eng_Products_MS400%20Magnetic%20S...

I can say, from experience, that they should absolutely be avoided. I'd say the same is likely true for any of the cheap Chinese hotplates.

[Edited on 27-10-2014 by adamsium]
Ephesians
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 27-10-2014 at 05:31

I have an extra magnetic hot stir plate manufactured by Corning Scientific if you are interested.
aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 27-10-2014 at 11:14

Here's what I ended up after going through the same process as you :-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BUYLOWPRICE-Origin-New-hot-plate-m...

It's been able to do everything i've asked of it so far (mostly heating and stirring), and all-in-all i've been very happy with it.

I'm merely a noob though, and my requirement for appropriate temperature/stir speed remains at the level of 'is the stuff still in the pot or on the walls & ceiling ?'.

[Edited on 27-10-2014 by aga]

Lambda-Eyde
National Hazard

Mood: Cleaved

[*] posted on 27-10-2014 at 11:24

Ebay is flooded with the older IKAMAG models for great prices, which are supposed to be of great quality. Sadly, I haven't bought one myself yet.

This just in: 95,5 % of the world population lives outside the USA
You should really listen to ABBA
Please drop by our IRC channel: #sciencemadness @ irc.efnet.org
Tungsten.Chromium
Harmless

[*] posted on 29-10-2014 at 04:39

Wow, thank you guys for all the excellent replies, this has really changed my whole approach towards this purchase.

I've only been able to read through everything on my phone so fat so I've only skimmed this thread, but hopefully I'll get a day off work and can do some more serious review and research on what I really need. thanks again everyone

Prosit!
j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 30-10-2014 at 04:42

Quote: Originally posted by Lambda-Eyde  
Ebay is flooded with the older IKAMAG models for great prices, which are supposed to be of great quality. Sadly, I haven't bought one myself yet.

Found one! Great price!!

Um, er... postage???

DrMario
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 30-10-2014 at 09:04

^^The seller probably uses UPS (AKA the crappiest, most abusive, most retarded shipping company in our cluster of galaxies).
Tungsten.Chromium
Harmless

[*] posted on 6-11-2014 at 09:52

I ended up getting a used corning PC-351 off eBay for 175 (includes shipping). It looks to be in great condition by the pictures, and all my chemist friends swear by this model so I think I'll be content with it. Thanks again for all the help.

Prosit!
DrMario
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 6-11-2014 at 10:27

Quote: Originally posted by Tungsten.Chromium  
I ended up getting a used corning PC-351 off eBay for 175 (includes shipping). It looks to be in great condition by the pictures, and all my chemist friends swear by this model so I think I'll be content with it. Thanks again for all the help.

The quality should be top-notch. However, the fact that the temperature is adjusted from "LO" to "HI"... disqualifies this hotplate from an extremely large set of chemistry applications.
gdflp
Super Moderator

Mood: Staring at code

[*] posted on 6-11-2014 at 10:32

Quote: Originally posted by DrMario  

The quality should be top-notch. However, the fact that the temperature is adjusted from "LO" to "HI"... disqualifies this hotplate from an extremely large set of chemistry applications.

I don't necessarily agree with that. When I got my hotplate/stirrer, I spent extra to get a digital 10x10 ceramic one. I get a digital readout of what the temperature will be at that setting, but I don't find it all that useful. I think that a decent digital thermocouple could easily allow a Lo/Hi hotplate to be just as useful as a digital temperature prediction hotplate.
DrMario
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 6-11-2014 at 11:15

Quote: Originally posted by gdflp  
Quote: Originally posted by DrMario  

I don't necessarily agree with that. When I got my hotplate/stirrer, I spent extra to get a digital 10x10 ceramic one. I get a digital readout of what the temperature will be at that setting, but I don't find it all that useful. I think that a decent digital thermocouple could easily allow a Lo/Hi hotplate to be just as useful as a digital temperature prediction hotplate.

Well of course! If you add a thermocouple or a Pt100 thermal sensor, and the regulation electronics to your hotplate then you have just created a wholly different hotplate.
Varmint
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 6-11-2014 at 18:58

I have the Corning 420D, spent $410 to get it.

There are better, but at much higher price. There are "lesser" units that stir and heat, but are no where near as refined.

A purchase like this depends on your overall mindset. Do you appreciate undeniable quality? Are you likely to provide an amount of care a $410 purchase warrants, or are you likely to let decades of stains and spills bake on because tools do work and don't warrant care?

Me, I care. My near year old 420D has run (and is running right now in fact) for several hundred hours, yet in2 minutes or less I could clean up any dust that might have settled and any spills from this last run, and you simply could not tell it wasn't straight out of the box from the factory.

A little Bon-Ami cleanser or barkeepers friend every now and then will restore the ceramic surface to factory new condition. A moist microfiber cloth will clean the body, display area, and knobs, again, to factory new appearance.

And it looks very good with my genuine Corning Pyrex glassware on it.

Did I spend too much? I'm sure many people would think so. But I can turn it on and walk away and not have to wonder if sub-standard Chinese production or lack of care by it's previous owner is going to burn my lab down.

So, it depends on you. Does pride of ownership influence your buying, or, and I'm not trying to be disparaging here, is all you need a heater/stirrer?

Me, I like quality. I like knowing my equipment is not just up to the task, but probably better than someone of my qualifications/experience deserves.

DAS

[Edited on 7-11-2014 by Varmint]
NOV:5
Harmless

Mood: Moodless

[*] posted on 6-11-2014 at 23:24

^^Well make that 2 of us.^^
I like my new or nearly new stuff. I hate that Hotplate nerdrage uses. It'd drive me nuts..
( Proud owner of a Corning PC-620D, and 6795PR temperature probe)

Quote: Originally posted by Varmint  
I have the Corning 420D, spent $410 to get it.

There are better, but at much higher price. There are "lesser" units that stir and heat, but are no where near as refined.

A purchase like this depends on your overall mindset. Do you appreciate undeniable quality? Are you likely to provide an amount of care a $410 purchase warrants, or are you likely to let decades of stains and spills bake on because tools do work and don't warrant care?

Me, I care. My near year old 420D has run (and is running right now in fact) for several hundred hours, yet in2 minutes or less I could clean up any dust that might have settled and any spills from this last run, and you simply could not tell it wasn't straight out of the box from the factory.

A little Bon-Ami cleanser or barkeepers friend every now and then will restore the ceramic surface to factory new condition. A moist microfiber cloth will clean the body, display area, and knobs, again, to factory new appearance.

And it looks very good with my genuine Corning Pyrex glassware on it.

Did I spend too much? I'm sure many people would think so. But I can turn it on and walk away and not have to wonder if sub-standard Chinese production or lack of care by it's previous owner is going to burn my lab down.

So, it depends on you. Does pride of ownership influence your buying, or, and I'm not trying to be disparaging here, is all you need a heater/stirrer?

Me, I like quality. I like knowing my equipment is not just up to the task, but probably better than someone of my qualifications/experience deserves.

DAS"

[Edited on 7-11-2014 by NOV:5]

[Edited on 7-11-2014 by NOV:5]

Remember, Remember...
jamit
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 6-11-2014 at 23:43

@Tungsten.Chromium

try this hotplate on ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Corning-PC-320-Hotplate-and-Stirrer-...

I love my pc320 by corning.
Stupid_Noob
Harmless

Mood: Nucleophilic

[*] posted on 7-11-2014 at 01:37

I bought a cheapo stirrer/hotplate off ebay for $99 (haven't used it yet). I was wondering if there are chances of either the stirrer or the heating element going out during a distillation? Are these problems in cheap stirrers/hotplates?

I was under the impression that stirrers work by alternating magnetic field rather than a motor or what have you. Is it even possible for the stirrer to go out?

**EDIT**

Here's the link to the stirrer/hotplate. Trust me, the picture makes it look a lot less jank.

[Edited on 11-7-2014 by Stupid_Noob]
adamsium
Hazard to Others

Mood: uprooting

[*] posted on 7-11-2014 at 05:53

I'm with Varmint. I will wait as long as I need to in order to find what I want for a reasonable price. As a result, I have an IKA RET control-visc hotplate, complete with temperature probe (purchased brand new for about $350, including shipping from USA to Australia) and a Mettler Toledo AX205 5-place balance, also purchased brand new for a tiny fraction of the list price (though obviously old stock as it is not the current model, but specs are essentially identical to current model as far as I am aware). Both are better than I'm ever likely to need, but I can live with that :cool:
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top