Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: In the pipeline - YouTube videos!
bismuthate
National Hazard

Mood: self reacting

[*] posted on 4-11-2014 at 16:47

Yup. That was my video

I'm not a liar, I'm just an enthusiastic celebrant of opposite day.
I post pictures of chemistry on instagram as bismuthate. http://iconosquare.com/bismuthate
or this viewer if you don't have an instagram (it sucks though) http://web.stagram.com/n/bismuthate
Tdep
National Hazard

Mood: PhD is done! It isn't good but it's over lol

[*] posted on 4-11-2014 at 17:50

Quote: Originally posted by DrMario  

Vertical video? Seriously? Is this supposed to be ironic??!

You have to fill the black sidebars with your imagination.

Yeah, this video isn't really aimed at sciencemadness people, but as long as it's not factually wrong or shockingly boring I guess it's not doing any harm. Not sure if it's kewl enough for my channel though...
It's more a Rador labs thing but my friend wanted it on my channel so I have more control over it or something like that.
Texium
Administrator

Mood: PhD candidate!

[*] posted on 4-11-2014 at 20:19

Quote: Originally posted by zts16  
I uploaded a video to the Rador Labs Raw Footage channel. It can be found here. It's just a minute long clip of a steam distillation of cinnamon that I did a couple weekends ago. I wasn't originally planning on filming it, so the camera is very shaky. My future videos will hopefully be a lot more professional looking! (and I'll actually narrate them too)

[Edited on 10-27-2014 by zts16]

Thumbed it up, to show my appreciation for the effort, and also because I really wanted to see steam distillation of some essential oils. Sadly, your video not only lacks commentary, but also more footage - show more of the set-up, for example. I really hope you filmed more than it's on that video...?

Anyhow, a thumb-up for your video, so you know I'm not a hater. But we in the peanut gallery want more!
Yep, I get that. I would have filmed more and given commentary if it was a real video. When I took that one, the distillation had already been going for a few minutes when I thought to myself "Hey, I should film a bit of this!"
I'll definitely do an essential oil distillation video as one of my first real ones, and will include the full apparatus assembly, a complete overview of the process, and will be commentated and more professionally filmed.
I may also include solvent extraction and/or vacuum distillation for further purification of the product in the video.

Come check out the Official Sciencemadness Wiki
They're not really active right now, but here's my YouTube channel and my blog.
DrMario
Hazard to Others

Mood: Underpaid.

[*] posted on 4-11-2014 at 23:55

I uploaded a video to the Rador Labs Raw Footage channel. It can be found here. It's just a minute long clip of a steam distillation of cinnamon that I did a couple weekends ago. I wasn't originally planning on filming it, so the camera is very shaky. My future videos will hopefully be a lot more professional looking! (and I'll actually narrate them too)

[Edited on 10-27-2014 by zts16]

Thumbed it up, to show my appreciation for the effort, and also because I really wanted to see steam distillation of some essential oils. Sadly, your video not only lacks commentary, but also more footage - show more of the set-up, for example. I really hope you filmed more than it's on that video...?

Anyhow, a thumb-up for your video, so you know I'm not a hater. But we in the peanut gallery want more!
Yep, I get that. I would have filmed more and given commentary if it was a real video. When I took that one, the distillation had already been going for a few minutes when I thought to myself "Hey, I should film a bit of this!"
I'll definitely do an essential oil distillation video as one of my first real ones, and will include the full apparatus assembly, a complete overview of the process, and will be commentated and more professionally filmed.
I may also include solvent extraction and/or vacuum distillation for further purification of the product in the video.

You can always add the commentary in "post-production". And you can edit your footage in any order you like. You just need footage!
DrMario
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 4-11-2014 at 23:56

Quote: Originally posted by Tdep  

Vertical video? Seriously? Is this supposed to be ironic??!

You have to fill the black sidebars with your imagination.

I imagined Pedobear on the right side, and Super Mario on the left. It was hilarious that way.
Brain&Force
Hazard to Lanthanides

Mood: Incommensurately modulated

[*] posted on 14-11-2014 at 12:59

Pyranine, the surprisingly common FLUORESCENT pH indicator! http://youtu.be/72UjruGy7gw

At the end of the day, simulating atoms doesn't beat working with the real things...
confused
Hazard to Others

Mood: tired

[*] posted on 16-11-2014 at 00:27

any chance of a pyranine extraction from highlighters video?
Brain&Force
Hazard to Lanthanides

[*] posted on 18-11-2014 at 22:00

All you really need to do is pull out the core of the highlighter and soak it in water. From what I understand it's almost pure pyranine.

At the end of the day, simulating atoms doesn't beat working with the real things...
DrMario
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 20-11-2014 at 10:43

What if you mix a common (non pH-sensitive) fluorescent dye with a pH indicator? Wouldn't that produce a similar effect to pyranine, by means of spectral absorption rather than emission - but still looking similar?
Jylliana
Hazard to Others

Mood: Bubbly ^-^

[*] posted on 26-11-2014 at 13:18

This is not me performing the experiments, but some students from a university. It is cool to watch, though :cool:.

Liquid Nitrogen Show.

I did film everything :P

[Edited on 26-11-2014 by Jylliana]

Brain&Force
Hazard to Lanthanides

[*] posted on 23-3-2015 at 21:05

Here's some samarium burning in 8x slow motion! It really is that red in person, but the flash isn't as brilliant, probably due to its speed.

<iframe sandbox width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/EW02tW6DKEw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Molecular Manipulations
Hazard to Others

Mood: High on forbidden fruit

[*] posted on 24-3-2015 at 08:52

I was planning on starting a YT channel a few months ago. I did make one video but I've since had to back up my lab, and haven't had time to start again. Perhaps later I'll upload videos on a regular basis.

-The manipulator
We are all here on earth to help others; what on earth the others are here for I don't know. -W. H. Auden
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top