Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  5    7    9
Author: Subject: Slow high torque electric motors for stirrer?
Twospoons
International Hazard

Mood: A trace of hope...

[*] posted on 3-2-2018 at 01:27

There also appears to be a red wire from pin 2 to ground. And blue + green connecting pin 6 to ground. Mate - strip everything off and start from scratch. Slowly. Methodically.
( Starting to feel like we're being trolled)

Helicopter: "helico" -> spiral, "pter" -> with wings
violet sin
International Hazard

Mood: Good

[*] posted on 3-2-2018 at 02:35

I sketched this out real quick and looked it over a couple times. But wires could look something like this. In a bread board.

IMAG4619.jpg - 856kB

1 pin is lower left of IC in pic, noted by notch mark on left end. It's straddling the mid rift of a bread board if it's not obvious. I have a bunch of other crap on mine right now or I'd throw it together.

wg48
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 3-2-2018 at 07:14

Quote: Originally posted by Twospoons  
There also appears to be a red wire from pin 2 to ground. And blue + green connecting pin 6 to ground. Mate - strip everything off and start from scratch. Slowly. Methodically.
( Starting to feel like we're being trolled)

I was beginning to think that myself so I checked his posting history. There is nothing in that to suggest he may be trolling.

Apparently he is a retired chemical engineer about 75 years old. Unfortunately as we get older our abilities to learn new stuff can dramatically decrease. Our short term memory tends to be very short and decisions trees tend be short and narrow. Our abilities to learn new things is also very dependent on our experience and the type of personality we are ie whether we are mostly procedural or model driven. Procedural personalities tend not to have transferable skills.

I think its reasonable to assume as a chemical engineer he is a post graduated but his abilites in electronics is very limited. No offence intended to anyone. I am retired engineer I have noticed my maths skills are much reduced along with my ability to learn new stuff. It sucks to be old and half brain dead and being an atheist I can't even look forward to heaven LOL

Magpie: I will try to give your more help later when I have more time.

[Edited on 3-2-2018 by wg48]
Magpie
lab constructor

Mood: Chemistry: the subtle science.

[*] posted on 3-2-2018 at 09:00

Quote: Originally posted by wg48  

...( Starting to feel like we're being trolled)

I was beginning to think that myself so I checked his posting history. There is nothing in that to suggest he may be trolling.

I have been struggling with this wiring issue for about 6 months now. I very much appreciate all the help you guys have provided. I have two syntheses that are being held up for lack of a strong overhead stirrer. I have built a similar circuit before that powered a NEMA 17 stepper motor that I salvaged from an old copier. It worked well but was limited in top speed and power. Its circuit failed or I would be using it.

Apparently he is a retired chemical engineer about 75 years old.
I think its reasonable to assume as a chemical engineer he is a post graduated but his abilites in electronics is very limited. No offence intended to anyone. I am retired engineer I have noticed my maths skills are much reduced along with my ability to learn new stuff. It sucks to be old and half brain dead and being an atheist I can't even look forward to heaven LOL

I am a retired chemical engineer (BS ChE) where I worked in synthetic rubber R&D, pulp and paper mills, nuclear fuel rod chop/leach dissolver, and built/operated/troubleshot a nuclear waste processing plant. I designed a lifting crane and an agitator system for a 5000 gallon tank. I retired 15 years ago, now devoting much of my time to this forum and my garage lab.

My higher math skills suck as I have forgotten too much. I too have nothing to look forward to after death, LMAO.

Magpie: I will try to give your more help later when I have more time.

I am very grateful. If I can help you with organic chemistry just let me know. You will get my best effort.

The single most important condition for a successful synthesis is good mixing - Nicodem
wg48
National Hazard

[*] posted on 3-2-2018 at 09:50

Ok lets start at the module.

Is it from your old stirrer? if yes how did you drive it?
Else post a pic of the module that I can read the writting on it.

Magpie
lab constructor

[*] posted on 3-2-2018 at 13:38

Quote: Originally posted by Twospoons  
There also appears to be a red wire from pin 2 to ground. And blue + green connecting pin 6 to ground.

Right! How careless of me. (wg48 and I need to have a discussion about 75 year olds.)

My LED is flickering away nicely. But my rotor still does not turn even after I bumped the module voltage to 18vdc.

The single most important condition for a successful synthesis is good mixing - Nicodem
Magpie
lab constructor

[*] posted on 3-2-2018 at 15:31

No, it is a brand new Toshiba 6600HG and came with the Zyltech stepper.

Here's a photo of the Toshiba:

TB6600HG module.JPG - 220kB

violet sin
International Hazard

Mood: Good

[*] posted on 3-2-2018 at 15:59

Now in a case like this does it matter if you mix the grounds from your voltage sources? Do they need to be kept separate? I ask because I once tried using the cheap eBay bits to make a printer motor work. It was a much smaller one than yours, I tried with 555 square wave signal generator --> a little purple driver board DRV8825 --> stepper motor.

My issue arrived when I knew so little about the driver I must have imagined a "go" button. But it needed to be tickled from an external brain or dumb device. I already had the square wave generator (2-3$ eBay) so figured why not. I also got as far as my output light flickered according to what jumper was selected. But the motor would not work on any of them.

I trouble shot the issue to find people were complaining about the rip-off's from eBay were pinned out differently and the 3D printer guys were making adapters to still use them. If I recall correctly someone speculated there was a slight difference to not get sued, but it didn't matter why.

A small board was soldered together with a couple IC sockets (ordered wrong size width, agh) and salvaged ribbon connector from e-waste for connections. I could not verify my motor type, but chased down some that were close... Did not work, Never got around to it again yet. Still have the "night-rider" LED thing with CD4017 and 555 on my breadboard right now. But I could throw some stuff together this evening it would be helpful at all. If nothing else, I'd like to at least get use of the driver PCB's at least once be for they end up shearing off some SMC components... It will happen eventually

wg48
National Hazard

[*] posted on 3-2-2018 at 16:28

Quote: Originally posted by Magpie  

No, it is a brand new Toshiba 6600HG and came with the Zyltech stepper.

Here's a photo of the Toshiba:

Toshiba 6600HG is the designation of the IC contained in the module and as prevously stated is not much help in identifying the interface requirements of the module.

The pic of the cover also does not help me define the interface requirements either.

So I searched for modules that look the same as yours. I found this:

http://www.ebuy7.com/item/eheedjdifcjf
That does not require resistors when driven by 5v signals

Is this one yours or can you give me a link to where you bought yours?

I suspect your module does not require series resistors when the signal inputs a driven by 5v signals like the one in the link. The problem is if you drive the module’s signal inputs without a resistor and it does require them it will damage the module. So we need to be confident about the resistors before you try without them.

Please post a pic of the board in the module if you cannot supply the link or the link I have given is not your module.

Given your battery is 6V smaller value resitors may be required though a 20% overvoltage will probably be ok but will be risky...

Twospoons
International Hazard

[*] posted on 3-2-2018 at 17:17

Hey, sorry about the trolling comment - now I know where you are coming from I can understand a bit more of what your skill base is. I myself am knocking on 50 (1 month to go). Thing is I'm a professional electronics engineer, and I have to remember that stuff which is bloody obvious to me may not be to someone fairly new to the game.
I am happy to help anyone genuinely trying to learn.

Quote: Originally posted by violet sin  
Now in a case like this does it matter if you mix the grounds from your voltage sources?

No it doesn't. In fact I'd recommend linking the two grounds in this case, since otherwise the battery powered circuit could be floating if the module uses optocouplers on the inputs - not necessarily a bad thing, but I'd prefer control over randomness. In some industrial situations you do want to keep grounds isolated (I wont go into the reasons here), but once again this needs optocouplers to keep the control system currents separate from the motor currents.

Posting a pic of the board inside the motor driver would be very helpful - at least 1024 pixels wide please.

Magpie
lab constructor

[*] posted on 3-2-2018 at 19:51

My Toshiba driver is just like the one in your link. Below is a photo of the inside of the driver:

Toshiba driver opened up.JPG - 170kB

Here's the Zyltech link from which I bought the motor/driver combo:

https://www.zyltech.com/store/p96/Nema_23_Stepper_Motor_w%2F...

[Edited on 4-2-2018 by Magpie]

Twospoons
International Hazard

[*] posted on 3-2-2018 at 21:11

So, looking at that I can see 3 optocouplers, and associated input resistors and protection. So you wont need the series resistors in your circuit as the driver already has them built in.

driver_annotated.png - 2.1MB

Magpie
lab constructor

[*] posted on 3-2-2018 at 21:54

Good thing you looked, Twospoons. Those resistors didn't look like anything I would recognize.

wg48
National Hazard

[*] posted on 4-2-2018 at 02:39

Ok so you have three independent lines of evidence that the module does not need input resistors. the link I posted the link you posted and Twospoon view of the components on the board.

Will it be damaged by 5v? Your link suggests the input current is 5mA to 18mA. That’s low for most opto-couplers and 6V is close to 5V So I think its low risk to work at 6V.

So try with the resistors in series with the signal lines removed and replaced with wire.

Hopefully it will be working now or at least the rotor will be locked.

From your comment about the LED flashing I think you will need to increase the frequency of the 555 more than ten fold. ie reducing the timing cap.

Magpie
lab constructor

[*] posted on 4-2-2018 at 07:00

From your comment about the LED flashing I think you will need to increase the frequency of the 555 more than ten fold. ie reducing the timing cap.

I can easily increase the flashing to a steady light by turning the 100K pot.

Magpie
lab constructor

[*] posted on 4-2-2018 at 07:26

The 3 resistors are now out but the rotor is still free at 13.5vdc to the module.

wg48
National Hazard

[*] posted on 4-2-2018 at 08:01

Quote: Originally posted by Magpie  
The 3 resistors are now out but the rotor is still free at 13.5vdc to the module.

First check the dip switches are in a suitable position, consult the info on the cover and the spec for the 6600 chip

Then check the voltage applied to the module with your multimeter ie the voltage to its supply Vcc and Gnd.

Then check the voltage between the +and - of the ena, dir signals on the actual terminal of the module.

Using your LED and resistor check you have pulses between the Pul+ and Pul- on the terminals of the module. Note no pulses should stop rotation but not a locked rotor.

Check the voltage across the motor drives A+ to A- and B+ to B- at least one of them should have a voltage between them.

Remove the power to the module and check the resistance between A+ to A- and B+ to B- it should be a few ohms again across the terminals.
Twospoons
International Hazard

[*] posted on 4-2-2018 at 13:02

I would set the dip switches thusly:
s1,s2, : ON , s3 : OFF -> put driver in single step mode

S4: OFF , S5,S6 : ON -> 1A motor current ( a good starting point)

You should be able to see the current on the meter of that nice power supply you have, if the driver is active. You should see pretty much the same current whether the motor is turning or not.
Looking at the docs it may be the driver is set up to be enabled by default, given the diagrams that leave the enable disconnected. Try that too.

Magpie
lab constructor

[*] posted on 4-2-2018 at 14:26

First check the dip switches are in a suitable position, consult the info on the cover and the spec for the 6600 chip

The dip switches have been set per Twospoons' next post. Ie,
S1, S2: ON
S3, S4: OFF
S5, S6: ON

Then check the voltage applied to the module with your multimeter ie the voltage to its supply Vcc and Gnd

15 vdc

Then check the voltage between the +and - of the ena, dir signals on the actual terminal of the module.

both are 5vdc

Using your LED and resistor check you have pulses between the Pul+ and Pul- on the terminals of the module. Note no pulses should stop rotation but not a locked rotor.

using no resistor: pulsing
w/680Ω: no pulsing

Check the voltage across the motor drives A+ to A- and B+ to B- at least one of them should have a voltage between them.

no voltage across either

Remove the power to the module and check the resistance between A+ to A- and B+ to B- it should be a few ohms again across the terminals.

A+ to A- = 0v
B+ to B- = 0v

measured with a meter that reads 10 Ω midscale

Zyltech data sheet values: 1.2Ω for each phase

A Toshiba 6600 document that might be of value:
file:///C:/Users/Owner/Downloads/TB6600HG_datasheet_en_20160610%20(2).pdf

aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 4-2-2018 at 14:32

Not sure if this is relevant, but the stepper drivers i have are opto-isolated, so basically you have to put the all the N- to ground or sticking 5v on the N+ does nothing.

Twospoons
International Hazard

[*] posted on 4-2-2018 at 16:27

Try disconnecting ENA. It may work backwards ie no volts = on and 5V = off.

wg48
National Hazard

[*] posted on 5-2-2018 at 00:26

Well you appear to have the right voltages on the terminals of the module.

You did not give the resistance across the motor terminal but given the results of the voltage tests and no supply current drawn its irrelevant.

Yes try switching off the ENA signal, try disconnecting the 6v battery, try various combinations of the dip switches each time check for a locked rotor and significant Vcc current on your power supply.

You could check the voltages on the pins of the 6600 chip inside your module if you can work out what they should be from the data sheet but it will probably just confirm the Module is faulty.

Assuming you did the tests correctly Its probable the module is faulty. Given a new module costs about $7 you may be at the point to order a new one from China. To avoid the wait you can buy from the US but it will probably double or more the price.

One thing talk your EE buddy into checking it out on site. A fresh pair of eyes and a different brain may spot a problem.
Even a half brain dead EE is probably better than no EE LOL.

If you do order a new one make certain you have an interface spec for it in English. You would not buy new glassware without knowing what the size of the ground joints were. A spec for the module not the IC it contains.

[Edited on 5-2-2018 by wg48]
Magpie
lab constructor

[*] posted on 5-2-2018 at 20:14

wg48, sorry for the mistake of omission on my last post. Here is the correction:

phase resistances:

A+ to A-: 0Ω
B+ to B-: 0Ω

These were measured with an ohm meter reading 10Ω at midscale.

Zyltech spec: 1.2Ω for each phase

I am getting the rest of the requested information now.

[Edited on 6-2-2018 by Magpie]

wg48
National Hazard

[*] posted on 6-2-2018 at 07:48

When the module is not powered, I would not expect the resistance across the phases with the motor connected to be significantly different than the resistance of the windings, on the assumption that the transistors of the H bridge of the module are enhancement mode and the ohmmeter has insufficient OC voltage to cause the significant conduction through the H bridge diodes or measure zero ohms.

I suggest you check the resistance of the motor windings disconnected from the module and check the resistance across the modules phase outputs (again with the module un-powered and this time with the motor disconnected) and preferable check the resistance of a 1.2ohm resistor to determine the validity of your meter reading.

I think if the resistance across the phases (A+ to A- and B+ to B-) of an unpowered module (motor disconnected) is less than 1 ohm it is probably faulty.

Magpie
lab constructor

[*] posted on 6-2-2018 at 12:32

I suggest you check the resistance of the motor windings disconnected from the module and check the resistance across the modules phase outputs (again with the module un-powered and this time with the motor disconnected) and preferable check the resistance of a 1.2ohm resistor to determine the validity of your meter reading.

I think if the resistance across the phases (A+ to A- and B+ to B-) of an unpowered module (motor disconnected) is less than 1 ohm it is probably faulty.

I have a small NEMA 17 Mineba stepper motor, proven operable, that also reads 0 Ω across the phases. I measured the smallest resistor I have, 22Ω, and it also reads 0 Ω. It is clear that my meter cannot read small resistances. Therefore, I think all of my 5 stepper motors are good. The fault must be with the module.

Here's the answers to your other questions:

1. Switching the ENA signal off made no change.
2. My EE buddy is a "power" man. Only thing he said was "believe the experts."
3. Changing around all the dip switches made no difference.

I will buy a new Toshiba module. This is not a problem.

Pages:  1  ..  5    7    9

Go To Top