Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: A very simple circuit created on a piece of glass
subsecret
Hazard to Others

Mood: Human Sadness - Julian Casablancas & the Voidz

[*] posted on 10-1-2015 at 06:32

A heavy silver mirror might be a good way to make these glass circuits, as most electrical solder contains silver and lead, and would more easily bind to the surface than to copper.

Also, what if some areas were waxed (like with FeCl3 etching) and the slide was placed in the mirroring solution? The material would only be plated in the circuit paths which is additive, as compared the normal subtractive method of etching. This would save the steps of copper recovery from the spent etchant.

Very neat experiment, though I'm not particularly familiar with sputtering.

Fear is what you get when caution wasn't enough.
wish i had a kraken!!!
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 12-1-2015 at 11:11

Dear Awesomeness , this work is done using a sputter coater machine (I will upload a video about it soon :-) ) , using this technology gives us the advantage of having deposited layer of different types of metals or materials on different types of surfaces .

By the way would U explain more about waxing by FeCl3 ? I think Its a cool Idea ! Is it done by submerging the slide in a solution of FeCl3 and then having the slide dried ? What solvent U use ? Alcohol + water or something else?
subsecret
Hazard to Others

Mood: Human Sadness - Julian Casablancas & the Voidz

[*] posted on 13-1-2015 at 11:13

True, I suppose you get more selectivity with a sputtering process.

I've never made PCBs by any method, but the etching works something like this:

First, a board completely coated in copper has the paths drawn on it with wax, or some other protecting material. Then, the entire board is submerged in aqueous FeCl3, which reacts with the copper to form copper chloride, and the iron (III) is reduced to (II), so it doesn't plate onto the PCB. The board is then rinsed, and any copper not covered by the protector is removed. This is how commercial boards are made.

Fear is what you get when caution wasn't enough.
mayko
International Hazard

Mood: anomalous (Euclid class)

[*] posted on 13-1-2015 at 11:59

It might not function well for small circuits, but there is electrically conductive spraypaint available.

Someone Who Isn't Me has used this to make graffiti circuits - put together a small board with an LFO, epoxy it to a wall, and spray on a crude keyboard. Someone touches a 'key' and it uses their body as a resistor, playing a tone.

al-khemie is not a terrorist organization
"Chemicals, chemicals... I need chemicals!" - George Hayduke
"Wubbalubba dub-dub!" - Rick Sanchez
wish i had a kraken!!!
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 8-3-2015 at 04:28

Dear friends You can see my sputter coater machine here : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGiX8Rh-GGI&feature=yout...
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top