Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  
Author: Subject: Fastest Acting Poisons
nightflight
Hazard to Self

Mood: pyrophoric

[*] posted on 2-12-2006 at 17:50

contact poisen can be very fast, like in seconds -t´s all about osmolarity and power.

I´ve heard of a contact poisen that kills in seconds.
jimmyboy
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 3-12-2006 at 02:53

well your asking for "fastest" poison so any powerful nerve toxin or channel blocker will work --- delivered as a gas - that would be fastest route to the blood stream and into the different body systems - injection, ingestion and skin contact all take at least a few minutes while gas delivery maybe a few seconds - hydrogen cyanide probably being the easiest to come by -- VX definitely the deadliest created to date so far - of course a small quantity of lead delivered to the brain stem is even faster than that ... plus it can be sent from a mile away haha :P
JohnWW
International Hazard

[*] posted on 3-12-2006 at 13:58

What about polonium-210, then, and similar higher-energy alpha-emitting radioactive poisons?
12AX7
Post Harlot

Mood: informative

[*] posted on 3-12-2006 at 14:53

Well, if you're going to go with fast radioactives, you might as well go all-out with something fun like K-42 or Na-24. Or how about a spray of hexavalent Cr-48 or Cr-51? Double trouble there! :D

Tim

Seven Transistor Labs LLC http://seventransistorlabs.com/
Electronic Design, from Concept to Layout.
Need engineering assistance? Drop me a message!
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
unionised
International Hazard

[*] posted on 4-12-2006 at 05:04

"What about polonium-210, then, and similar higher-energy alpha-emitting radioactive poisons? "
It wasn't quick.
gil
Unregistered

[*] posted on 15-1-2007 at 07:48

Yeah,sure.Whith a good delivery,AIR can do too,very fast.
Lead too.In fact it's still the most commonly used.

Sauron
International Hazard

Mood: metastable

[*] posted on 15-1-2007 at 08:55

None here will get anywhere near polonium-210 unless you work for the Russian FSS or in their space program.

Or have your own fast flux reactor to cook some Bi in.

The Iranians are building one, claiming they want to make 210Po for medical isotope, but alas the IAEA knows there is no such usage. Now, nuclear initiators for certain designs of bombs, THERE's a use. Naughty Iranians!

Maybe they want to make thermal batteries for the famous Iranian space program??

Anyway unless you have a hot cell, don't plan on handling 210Po in measurable amounts.

[Edited on 15-1-2007 by Sauron]
Sauron
International Hazard

[*] posted on 15-1-2007 at 09:04

Ricin is vastly overrated. Three of the five who were poisoned with the infamous ricin umbrella and its high tech Pt/Ir peller, lived.

A fave several decades ago was saxitoxin, so if you have several tons of contaminated shellfish and a lot of time on your hands...

In a recent thriller by a best selling novelist succinylcholine was supposed to be a saxitoxin-like super-toxin but in fact that is a crock, succinylcholine takes massive doses to work (we hang BAGS of it on hunting arraws to paralyze deer) so that writer better go back to hunting for Red October. (The guy really does not write his own books anyway. Sold his name to the publishers after the first book and all others have been ghostwritten. First book had to be extensively edited to be fit to print. The guy is bogus but looks great on dust jackets.)
gil
Unregistered

[*] posted on 15-1-2007 at 10:05

Lead is faster.Air can be faster too.What is a poison ? something making you ill?
Or put a plastic bag on your head will poison you? or the CO2 in your lungs. No?
THe lack of oxigen will.Oxigen will kill too.
As Paracelsius put it(roughly) everything is poisonus, relative to the dosage/delivery etc.
By weight,ricin and botulin are very efficient ,maybe antrax too, but not really fast.Augment dose doesn't reflect proportionally: 25x L.D. will not be 25 x faster.
Air,I.V.10 cc(not sure ,make 50, or 100 to be certain...) will be as fast as blood circulation allow,killing almost istantaneously. So whath?Is air one of the fastest poison?
How much polonium210 is needed to mach?If can be mached?(not by fissing it,any other mean:standing by it,ingestion,aerosol,I.V. etc) Too many variables involved!
A fast acting poison may kill slower than a slighty slower actingone.Viceversa also true.

My bet:any poison been in space=fastest poison(6>mile/sec) ;)

[Edited on 15-1-2007 by gil]

Misanthropy
Hazard to Self

Mood: Variable

[*] posted on 15-1-2007 at 17:22

Quote:
Originally posted by Sauron
In a recent thriller by a best selling novelist succinylcholine was supposed to be a saxitoxin-like super-toxin but in fact that is a crock, succinylcholine takes massive doses to work (we hang BAGS of it on hunting arraws to paralyze deer) so that writer better go back to hunting for Red October. (The guy really does not write his own books anyway. Sold his name to the publishers after the first book and all others have been ghostwritten. First book had to be extensively edited to be fit to print. The guy is bogus but looks great on dust jackets.)

LOL! I remember that! Another awesome fumble was in (Teeth of the Tiger??) when he described Jack's Boss as having cancer & being treated with a deadly substance called (get this): D5W!!!!! :o:D

Sauron
International Hazard

[*] posted on 16-1-2007 at 05:09

It hardly matters because those books are scented pablum for the proles.

It's same with the TV series Alias, no point in waiting for them to explain all that fabulous Rimbodi technology: they never intend to. Just like Chris Carter never tying up a thousand loose ends in The X Files. Why should he? Those programs deal in fantasy and paranoiac fascination with conspiracy theories, and explaining themselves would not serve their ends. When they run out of audience they get cancelled without ever satisfying those of us sitting there muttering "But what about...?"
MadHatter
International Hazard

Mood: Enjoying retirement

[*] posted on 16-1-2007 at 23:38
Water

This is off-topic but I posted it because it shows how "too much" of anything can kill.
It's been in the news the last couple of days. I've heard of this "hyperhydration".
The individual dies because the excess water dilutes the body's electrolytes out of balance.

Autopsy Finds Signs of Water Intoxication in Radio Contestant's Death
Written for the web by Jason Kobely, Internet News Producer

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Monika Diaz's Report

E-mail Story Print Story

Preliminary autopsy findings concluded a Rancho Cordova woman who competed in a radio station water-drinking contest before she was found dead Friday showed signs consistent with water intoxication, Sacramento County Coroner's Office authorities said Saturday.

The results of a preliminary investigation released Saturday showed evidence "consistent with a water intoxication death" in the death of 28-year-old Jennifer Strange, Sacramento County assistant coroner Ed Smith said.

Smith said the autopsy found no traces of "life- threatening medical conditions" that would have otherwise explained Strange's sudden death.

Strange was found dead inside her Astral Drive home in Rancho Cordova Friday afternoon. Her death came just hours after she participated in a radio station KDND 107.9 The End contest, challenging contestants to drink as much water as they could without going to the bathroom.

The winner of the "Hold Your Wee for a Wii" contest would take home a new Nintendo Wii video game system.

Strange's co-worker at Radiological Associates of Sacramento, Laura Rios said Strange participated in the contest Friday morning, then was heading home when she reportedly called her supervisor in terrible pain.

"She said to one of our supervisors that she was on her way home and her head was hurting her real bad," Rios said. "She was crying and that was the last that anyone had heard from her."

The supervisor called Strange's mother, who went to her daughter's home and discovered the body.

Sacramento County Sheriff's Sgt. Tim Curran confirmed Strange's death Friday, but said there were no immediate grounds to begin an investigation.

According to contest participants, 17 to 20 contestants took part in the competition in a room at KDND's Madison Avenue studios. The contest broadcast during The End's Morning Rave program began around 6:15 a.m. as contestants were each handed eight-ounce bottles of water to drink every 15 minutes.

Fellow contestant James Ybarra of Woodland said he met Strange at the event and had no idea of the potential danger of water poisoning. "They were small little half-pint bottles so we thought it was going to be easy," Ybarra said. "They told us if you don't feel like you can do this, don't put your health in risk."

But after 90 minutes of drinking, Ybarra decided he had had enough. "I tapped (out) after five (bottles)," Ybarra said. "My bladder couldn't handle it anymore."

Ybarra said after he quit, the remaining contestants were given even larger bottles to drink to stay in the competition. Strange was still in the contest when he opted out.

"I was talking to her and she was a nice lady," Ybarra said. "She was telling me about her family and her three kids and how she was doing it for kids."

Ybarra said before the contest, he did not read a liability waiver form handed to him by station personnel before signing it. Ybarra said he was surprised by the physical toll he felt after the contest.

"I was kind of out of it yesterday. I was just drained. I was just going to the bathroom," Ybarra said. "I wasn't feeling well and I actually fell asleep. I woke up with a headache (Saturday) morning and then took a couple of aspirins."

Ybarra said he was unaware of any medical personnel on hand to monitor the contest.

In a brief written statement issued Saturday, Entercom Sacramento VP and market manager John Geary expressed sympathy for Strange's family.

"We were stunned when we heard the news," Geary said. "We are awaiting information that will help explain how this tragic event occurred."

"They should have had a physician there, some type of statement or as to this can kill you. You can die from this," Strange's friend and co-worker Tracy Beam said. "People have died from this before and here we are. We don't have our Jennifer."

"I believe everyone should just be fired and let go from that radio station," Beam said. "It should be the end of The End."

Copyright 2007 News10/KXTV . All Rights Reserved.

Created: 1/12/2007 10:18:31 PM Updated: 1/15/2007 3:40:58 PM

From opening of NCIS New Orleans - It goes a BOOM ! BOOM ! BOOM ! MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHA !
prica
Harmless

Mood: FABIAN , Hopeful

[*] posted on 28-1-2007 at 10:24

S.Dali':< I dont need drugs.Frizzy water will do >. Above : nice example of legally induced suicide.
Statistic show Schizos use water as a intoxicant far more than average people do. 1 in 5 .maybe?cant rem.
VERY DANGEROUS! ED>LD very close!

The white boar age
Ozone
International Hazard

Mood: Integrated

[*] posted on 28-1-2007 at 11:31

Not fast acting but,

It wildy disturbs your electrolyte balence...If your Na+/K+ balence is perturbed your screwed (muscles, including the heart don't work so well when they are polarized which some *fast* acting toxins also do). The headache is a classic symptom (it looks quite a bit like heat stroke--massive salt loss--without, obviously, the dehydration.

I experienced this once when I was much younger and was offered an excellent student job. I went to the interview and found out that urinalysis *ahem* was mandatory. Uh Oh. I was "sick" for two days, during this time I would have 1L of H2O after every passage of urine. By the end of the second day, I was pissing every 15 minutes and was extremely nauseous, fatigued and plagued with cold-like symptoms.

At any rate, at the "quiz" it took so lomg that I almost pissed in my pants; I was much relieved to finally go. Somehow I passed:D. Apparently a chronic overhydration can do it as well.

So, If you enter a water-drinking contest, make sure to spike it with some NaCl/KCl first and the Wii is yours.

Cheers,

O3

-Anyone who never made a mistake never tried anything new.
--Albert Einstein
chemrox
International Hazard

Mood: LaGrangian

[*] posted on 12-2-2007 at 22:58
Ricin

Ricin, extracted from Castor bean in NaCl solution .. I have a pdf on this .. can't figure out how to paste it in though

"The umbrella toxin.."
Sauron
International Hazard

[*] posted on 13-2-2007 at 03:42

Ricin was a failure as a military agent.

Despite its notoriety in the Bulgarian, KGB sponsored assassination of an emigre BBC employee in London a quarter century ago, Georgi Markov was one of only two successes they had with that umbrella gun. Three of the five victims survived. Ricin is easily treated once the medicos know what they are dealing with.

Back on topic (fastest acting...) I have obtained Prof.Michael Dewer's obscure paper of temporal chirality as well as I.Asimov's three short monographs on chronoergic reagents, and am working on a poison that will kill some time prior to administration. Full details will appear here first.
Unch
Harmless

[*] posted on 13-2-2007 at 11:37

Castrol RC30 is 30% ricinatated.Smell lovely. Biolube is superior.

Air need not siringe. A compressor will do.Istantly.
not_important
International Hazard

[*] posted on 13-2-2007 at 11:41

Quote:
Originally posted by Sauron
Back on topic (fastest acting...) I have obtained Prof.Michael Dewer's obscure paper of temporal chirality as well as I.Asimov's three short monographs on chronoergic reagents, and am working on a poison that will kill some time prior to administration. Full details will appear here first.

8-)

Or do you mean to type - "have already appeared here"?

I'll admit that would be faster acting than my first though, a supercritical mass of a fissionable isotope.
Sauron
International Hazard

[*] posted on 13-2-2007 at 12:05

Asimov wrote about compounds that reacted before you mixed them.

So I am talking about a toxin that kills before it is applied (injected, inhaled, whatever.)

Michael Dewar's paper at a famous Swiss conference was about temporal chirality and was a dry spoof. He did it so smoothly that no one caught on till his presentation was almost finished. Yes, the Dewar of UT Austin.
franklyn
International Hazard

[*] posted on 26-2-2007 at 06:50
Dead man walking

Tetrodotoxin derived from the spiney puffer fish is a neurotoxic polar molecule.
Administered by percutaneous absorbtion it induces catalepsy in the exposed
individual. Subsequently to burial the apparent decedent is exhumed from the
grave and indefinitely maintained in a sophorofic stupor. Exploited in this state
to perform menial labor, in the lore of voodoo such a person is known as
a zombie.

I have often wondered if the civil service employees of the Department of
Motor Vehicles have been similarly exhumed.

JohnWW
International Hazard

[*] posted on 28-2-2007 at 16:59

Yes, they probably have. Speaking of marine toxins, what about the venoms of the several species of cone shellfish, which are found on the Great Barrier Reef off Queensland, Australia? They must be at least about as poisonous as tetrodotoxin and saxitoxin. On 1 January 1963, in Sydney, New South Wales, in the morning after a New Year's Eve party, two scientists who worked for the CSIRO and a local university, Drs Bogle (from New Zealand), a physicist, and Chandler, a female marine biologist, were found dead under mysterious circumstances in a public reserve on the banks of the Parramatta River (the upper harbor) in the suburb of Lane Cove. The cause of death, whether it was even a culpable homicide, and if so who was responsible, remained a mystery for many years, until it was revealed that the two were having an affair, that further tests on body samples suggested cone-shell poisoning, and that another woman, also a marine biologist, had access to cone-shell toxin. However, there has been never enough evidence to charge anyone.

The venoms of sea-snakes (including the yellow-bellied sea-snake found in waters around Australia and northern New Zealand), jellyfish, and anemones, are also extremely toxic, so I understand.
Pixicious
Harmless

Mood: Smiley

[*] posted on 27-2-2008 at 05:56

I find Potassium Chloride the most interesting. Especially when it is a solid and it is being injected ;)

I like the compond. I suppose if I could get hold of it I would be more bored.
YT2095
International Hazard

Mood: within Nominal Parameters

[*] posted on 27-2-2008 at 06:02

Quote:
Originally posted by Pixicious
I find Potassium Chloride the most interesting. Especially when it is a solid and it is being injected ;)

That I`de like to see! Injecting a Solid :o

(no sexual jokes Please!)

\"In a world full of wonders mankind has managed to invent boredom\" - Death
Twinkies don\'t have a shelf life. They have a half-life! -Caine (a friend of mine)
DJF90
International Hazard

[*] posted on 23-3-2008 at 03:17

How about the venom of a Russell's viper? Its really toxic and solidifys your blood, leading to bleeding from every bodily orifice :( sounds extremely painful, but fairly quick. Lethal dose is rather small too. I saw a program about it (top 10 most deadliest snakes?) and just remembered about it as I was reading through this thread.
JohnWW
International Hazard

[*] posted on 23-3-2008 at 13:18

I understand that the most venomous snakes of all are those of Australia and New Guinea, especially the taipan which is found in both.
 Pages:  1    3  

Go To Top