Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: plant rooting hormone synthesis
Random
International Hazard

Mood: Energetic

[*] posted on 1-11-2014 at 04:38
plant rooting hormone synthesis

I have been looking over the net but only procedure for Indole 3 Acetic acid was by reaction of indole and glyoxilic acid on wikipedia but it probably requires autoclave. Is there any simpler way to produce it, or indole butyric acid? Can't find any other synthesis data, everything I find ia biochemistry related.
AvBaeyer
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 1-11-2014 at 18:57

Depending on how sophisticated you wish to get, try here to start for information and additional references:

http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/ja01150a095?journalCode=...

(J. Am. Chem. Soc., 1951, 73 (6), pp 2756–2759)

By the way, it can be purchased easily on Ebay in pure form.

AvB
Little_Ghost_again
National Hazard

Mood: Baffled

[*] posted on 2-11-2014 at 03:23

For plant rooting hormones look at the thin wispy twigs that grow in a circle around willow trees, any time a willow gets bark damage it will throw out these small twigs, if you strip the bark from the twigs and soak in water, you end up with some very powerful rooting compounds.
Even the bark on will or at a push hazel contains good rooting hormones, if you think about it all you need to do to grow willow is push a stick into the ground ;). We have used extract from willow for ages for rooting other cuttings
S.C. Wack
bibliomaster

Mood: Enhanced

[*] posted on 2-11-2014 at 07:30

Vogel
Little_Ghost_again
National Hazard

[*] posted on 2-11-2014 at 12:18

Is that the same as indolebutyric acid (IBA) and Salicylic acid (SA). OOppps yes, I get mine from willow twigs soaked in water and then just slowly evaporated. Funny thing is most garden sites should have shed loads of info on it
JAVA
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 3-11-2014 at 08:35

Couple years ago I made phenylacetic acid, which is also a auxin and water soluble. However, this doesn't work if you don't make a (decimal) dilution and test what the best concentration is. I believe a few ng are enough, more is lethal.

Since phenylacetic acid can be easily converted into amphetamine, it's now banned and listed as precursor.

But you can buy NAA (Naphtylacetic acid) in the garden center which works fine.

If you really would like to run a in-vitro lab you need also cytokinines, antibiotics, autoclave and this is not a realistic idea for hobby chemistry.

www.versuchschemie.de

"Keep sportive it's like Soccer: play on the ball, not on the players"
UnintentionalChaos
International Hazard

Mood: Nucleophilic

[*] posted on 3-11-2014 at 09:34

Alpha-ketoglutaric acid can be obtained as a supplement in as salts with a number of amino acids. The most common is arginine (AAKG), the product typically being 2:1 ratio of arginine to ketoglutarate (and possibly the dihydrate), though 1:1 material is sometimes available.

I can confirm that the phenylhydrazone preparation directly from AAKG goes smoothly.

Attachment: ketoglutarateindole.pdf (67kB)
This file has been downloaded 410 times

Department of Redundancy Department - Now with paperwork!

'In organic synthesis, we call decomposition products "crap", however this is not a IUPAC approved nomenclature.' -Nicodem
Little_Ghost_again
National Hazard

[*] posted on 3-11-2014 at 10:46

It would seem in some parts of the world farting in a test tube is a drug precursor!!
Utterly stupid. I see nothing wrong with growth hormones at all. Soon as someone mention just about any chemical some one jumps up and screams drugs. Seriously how do you cope living somewhere that appears less free than just about most third world countries? Its bad enough in the UK but honestly the more I hear the more I am glad I am this side the pond
JAVA
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 3-11-2014 at 12:02

But I didn't decide to put PAA on the black list. If you invest as a foreign company then your first gift are the American CWC lists (this compound is scheduled as cat.2), then you have the EU regulation. Even legal use of phenylacetic acid is outlawed. (see article from the EU)

If you try to buy them you pay for something that you never should get in that case. Those companies (like Hinmeijer) offer it, you buy it, pay it and get nothing at all. That isn't a good regulation: money is invisible for the government. But it's only good for these companies.

ScreenHunter_317 Nov. 03 20.44.jpg - 122kB

Just make a Grignard rxn with benzyl chloride (via BzOH + HCl), dissolve it in THF and add the Mg in portions. Wait 10 -15 minutes untill it get hot. Add more Mg untill everything is added. Use a carbon dioxide flask to provide the supply of CO2 (30-45 min), then add water dropwise and purify to obtain phenylacetic acid.

www.versuchschemie.de

"Keep sportive it's like Soccer: play on the ball, not on the players"
Metacelsus
International Hazard

Mood: Double, double, toil and trouble

[*] posted on 3-11-2014 at 13:35

Or, react a benzyl halide with sodium cyanide, and hydrolyze the nitrile to the acid.

As below, so above.

My blog: https://denovo.substack.com
AvBaeyer
National Hazard

[*] posted on 3-11-2014 at 19:03

Phenylacetaldehyde dimethyl acetal can be obtained from some fragrance chemical suppliers. This can be converted directly to phenylacetic acid methyl ester by oxidation with N-bromosuccinimde or an equivalent reagent. References to this type of reaction can be found in Fieser and Fieser Reagents for Organic Synthesis.

AvB
Etaoin Shrdlu
National Hazard

Mood: Insufferable

[*] posted on 3-11-2014 at 19:06

What? Phenylacetic acid is illegal to possess in what jurisdiction? The EU? "Banned" from what? It's only a DEA List I chemical in the US, you get into trouble for producing it without a license, not for buying it.
Furboffle
Harmless

[*] posted on 9-11-2014 at 10:05

I havent looked in a while but last year IAA and IBA are dirt cheap all over ebay and amazon. Just buy it cheaper...

Possible indole acetic acid synth though,
Indole + oxalyl chloride followed by aqueous workup-> indole-3-glyoxylic acid
indole-3-glyoxylic acid + lah -> 3(2-hydoxyethyl)-indole. Then just oxidize the alcohol to a carboxylic acid which should be easy enough.

[Edited on 10-11-2014 by Furboffle]

Go To Top