Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: buying from China
NeonPulse
Hazard to Others

Mood: Isolated from Reality! For Real this time....

[*] posted on 29-3-2016 at 03:29

Quote: Originally posted by JJay  
Reacware is definitely pretty awesome. Compared to Deschem lately, they are slightly cheaper, slightly higher quality, and ship slightly faster. They ship from the same address as Nanshin Sales, and I am told that they use the same PayPal account as Interlab Glassware.

I've had good luck with Pricechopper2011 lately too. Deschem has some serious competition.

Price chopper has a few items of glass on offer and they post for free to my country I have gotten a couple of things from them and another store popped up recently is hydrion-scientific,they also have a lot of cheap glass of different types up for sale. There's loads of these type of sellers on eBay. They sell loads of junk and a few bits of glass thrown in. Glass is about the only thing I'm buying from now on. Most things made in China are cheap and nasty with very short life expectancy and next to no durability. It's just better to buy something locally that will last. I'd buy flasks locally but they cost a little more here.

Where there is a will
there is a way.

AllCheMystery!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWbbidIY4v57uczsl0Fgv7w?vie...
wg48
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 22-8-2016 at 06:52

Recently I ordered some 24/40 ground glass jointed labware from China. 19 items in total including the plastic Keck clips. All very reasonably priced.

All arrived intact except the pressure equalizing funnel. It had been wrapped in two sheets of paper and jammed corner to corner in a polystyrene box wrapped in black polythene. Surprisingly a glass thermometer that had been wrapped in only paper and black polythene arrived safely.

The problem is four of the joints don't fit properly and several more are suspect. They appear to have slightly wrong taper. For example all of my mail joints rocks in the female the joint of the one liter flask. It even cracked one mail joint I tried it with.

I not found a tolerance spec for the joints. I assume the joints should couple with no play as most of them do. I have tried some black ink on the joints to see the fit but it did not work But if I rotate the joint in the leaves a white mark on the circumference where it does fit. It also makes a different sound than the good fitting joints.

Does anyone know what accuracy I should expect and how the joints should feel or how to check them?

One more point. The shoulder/lip of several of the mail joints is below the shoulder/lip of the female joint. So the it would be impossible for the Keck clips to hold them together. In addition the Keck clips do not fit the mail joint they are too big. Are different standards for the clips. Everything was purchased as 24/40 or 24/29.

Incidentally I received a full refund on the funnel and the poor fitting adapter. Initially I was only offered a partial refund on the adapter and it was suggested I could sell it on., Hmmm.

Thinking about it I should have tried a dark colored paint ie a pigment paint not an ink containing soluble dyes.

WP_20160814_09_12_20_Pro.jpg - 347kB

[Edited on 22-8-2016 by wg48]
Cabalaba
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 22-8-2016 at 13:05

If we're talking glassware, (and escrow, of course), it may be worth the risk. As long as you check for flaws in pieces you NEED to not implode, its worked for me. Then again, its also not worked.

But chemicals, now thats a different story. If you have access to MS, NMR, or some other ultra accurate tool, then go for it. Me, best I got is a column, TLC (2D), and UV-vis spec.

First, I think there should be a thread for chinese/Indian/etc chem suppliers- the good, the bad, the average.

Second, Ive bought chems from forgien companies. This is what Ive learned:
If youre buying drugs/drug precursor, youre chances are better that you'll get sometype of drug/drug precursor, melting points plus crystallizations are critical but only prove you got something related to what you wanted.
If youre buying chemicals, a legit company will offer samples BUT will almost always be very worried that youre just gonna get the sample and thats it. So if theyre concerned about future business, its a good sign. Also, no reputable company will expect anything but some form of escrow, if you ask and they say yes but then they also mention they prefer money orders/wire transfers, be weary. Don't worry if you have trouble speaking with chinese chem suppliers. The smaller companies tend to do business online only. Indian suppliers should speak to you though. Also, once you get a sample, and if youre happy, feel free to ask about their overseas clientele (are they companies, individuals, etc)? If they sell to companies, ask them for the overseas contact info for said companies. References can be falsified but its more evidence for which you can judge.

My favorite chinese chemical supplier didnt want to do business with me because I didn't have an EIN and I demanded a sample. Although he wanted a money order for the sample, it was 20$, so it was better for me that way anyway. He also had a list of escrow companies he liked to use but I convinced him to use paypal, which he eventually setup an account. Then for any orders above 100$, we used paypal. My only concern with this guy (and I think this company was one guy and maybe a couple of chemists), was he didnt properly ship things. He hid 500g of P4O10 really well, in triple sealed containers, complete with a whole bunch of literal bath salts, creams, and the like. Strange but for 180$ for actual dry P4O10, I was happy. I could never be 100% sure it was P4O10, but it behaved exactly as such. It was more hydroscopic than stuff I get on eBay. Plus it turned a number of my acids to anhydrides!!! I had about 90-92% acetic acid, then acetic anhydride, which promptly became GAA when I left it in a beaker, complete with crystals.
Ill try to dig up his email when I have time, but this was back in 2009 so I make no promises.

When I visited Pakistan, my friend's father had his friend give me a tour of a chemical processing plant, I think it made pharmaceutical precursors. The place wasn't very big, but clean and well designed. Seemed like a small but professional operation.

So we really need to have a running thread to relay info on foreign suppliers. There are really good ones out there. And if all you need is an LLC, spend the 200$ and get one for the EIN. Its definitely worth it. These places can be desperate for business plus often dont require 55gallon orders or 10kilo purchases, they may be happy with 1 kilo or a gallon or two.

[Edited on 22-8-2016 by Cabalaba]
wg48
National Hazard

[*] posted on 22-8-2016 at 14:33

There are what I would call flaws in the Liberg condenser and in the broken funnel. More precisely poorly made glass joints that have bubbles in then and in one has what looks like a small crack.

I want to set up a polariscope to view any stress left in the glass. But I need to swot up on how to interpret the fringes.

I will be pulling a vacuum on them all linked together and running a discharge in argon in them. Should make a neat pic.
XeonTheMGPony
International Hazard

[*] posted on 22-8-2016 at 19:12

I just made a large order from deschem, been happy with the last order from them.

it is roulette so we'll see if this is as good as the last.
Arg0nAddict
Hazard to Self

Mood: Mercuric

[*] posted on 22-8-2016 at 22:43

Over the past 6 months I have around 15 transactions with deschem all were perfect except once a tiny 24/40 gas inlet was missing and they sent immediately. I can also vouch for hydrion-scientific and nanshin for glass. I've used pretty much all the glass makers but I've chosen these three because I've spent at least a few hundred with each and never a real problen. I've ordered nanshin for their biggest kit towards organic distillation plus boiling flasks up to 2000ml and everything is premium except the coil condenser I thought the water went through the coils but the distillate does and the kit did not come with a still head adapter which does a 180 degree turn. When deschem had a sale going on a just got 75 and 105 degree non vacuum adapters for $10 instead of $20 for the real piece.

The problems come when ordering chemicals for instance I got six 100g amount of different things all in the silver foil bags. NO LABELS. So I open them think they are double bagged, nope. I have figured out a few of them but still have two mystery powders and obviously something is wrong because I ordered only one white chem and it's potassium iodide I could easily rule it out but I'm hesitant about picking the wrong one... it could be KCN for all I know and I'd rather not add acid.

It's been hit and miss for me with chems but the cost makes it worth the risk as buying from Americans the markup is huge and I won't lie I've been guilty of that but it wasn't out of greed it was to limit the amount of people who contacted me. If they contact me and ask if I'm willing to negotiate I know they are gonna buy so of course I'll talk with them but when I had things the cheapest like gallium I was getting 10+ messaged a day asking if I was a scam.

I can do good deals with Sodium Metal now that I have found the proper shipping documents to quote. And I accept trades too where no money is exchanged so that may help some people. It has to be in increments of 28g because the shipping thing says as long each individual container holds under 1oz (28.4g) and the total weight is under uhh I forgot over 2 pounds for sure. then there is no hazard charge and no sticker needed on the box but you have to be able to pack it so it's water proof and crush proof. So GalliumSource is basically lying their ass off to get your business. That's why they have it foil sealed in 28g packages. Bad business lying to customers. I'm sure they pay hazard on some things but it specifically says they pay for your hazard charge on sodium.... pfftt. I guess common sense should have told me it's broken down to 16 individual packs for a reason when they refused to sell me one foil pack. Anyway, that's American Business for you. Hahaha

Edit: in case anyone noticed how I said I bought the big organic kit from nanshin then 75 105 degree pieces from deschem even though the nanshin kit has those pieces it's because I am fairly.. well pretty bad OCD and I can't clip the still head and receiver together but if I got a second set for the specific purpose of clipping together it's fine. I know I sound nuts but I can easily hide my OCD around others but alone not so much.

Edit 2: chemicals that came unlabeled were from pickbestforyou

[Edited on 23-8-2016 by Arg0nAddict]

YouTube Channel: ChemCamTV
Arg0nAddict
Hazard to Self

Mood: Mercuric

[*] posted on 22-8-2016 at 23:14

Quote: Originally posted by chemrox  
There should be a sticky on chicom vendors. (SNIP) don't use paypal; they don't support chemical purchases.

WHOA, definitely use PayPal even if it's for a chemical. All you do is omit the chemical and write something less specific like business supplies or necessary project components. If they sent you an invoice just ignore it and send them the money to whatever email the invoice said. pay with a credit card through PayPal preferably the paypal business visa card, not the debit card you need actual credit.

You then have redundancy in your protection plan. I've never even lost a penny even when a company took payment and shut down before I got my order. First I told paypal and they didn't want anything to do with it so called up visa and said paypal won't refund my guaranteed purchase even though I used the VISA paypal credit card. I had a full refund before the day was over and it wasn't pocket change either. PayPal is so scared to lose their visa backers if you have the paypal visa card you pretty much can't lose your dough. Unless you break a rule and they can prove it. But that's why they have us read stuff before signing, right? To no what specifically gets you in trouble.

Visa is bigger than paypal so even if you specifically bought chemicals as long as you paid by visa credit the rules of paypal don't matter.

[Edited on 23-8-2016 by Arg0nAddict]

YouTube Channel: ChemCamTV
wg48
National Hazard

[*] posted on 25-8-2016 at 14:01

I found a reference stating the accuracy of the 1:10 taper on standard ground glass joints (marked with S superimposed with a T).

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=np1FCgAAQBAJ&pg=PA54...

The angle tolerance is +/- 2' (arcminute), thats a gap of 23um at one end of a 40mm long joint and 46um counting the tolerance of both halves of the joint. Typical cooking aluminium foils have a thickness of 24um. So if a can slide more than two sheet of aluminium foil in either end of a coupled joint its out of tolerance. (can be difficult on the inner end).

I found lipstick (improvised machinery blue, no it was not mine LOL) works to visualize the fit. Put four narrow stripes on the male part and assemble the joint. How it spreads indicates the fit.
Droso
Harmless

[*] posted on 8-7-2017 at 17:40

Im thinking of ordering some aroma compounds (dimethoxybenzene, nerolin, etc) from China. Does anyone know of a reliable/trustful chinese company that offers them?

Thanks
JJay
International Hazard

[*] posted on 8-7-2017 at 18:28

I think Argent Scientific might carry those. They're in Australia, not China, but I don't know why you would prefer to order from China. Member adk is the owner I think; if you message him or search the board you can find the email message for their sales department.

j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 8-7-2017 at 21:59

Quote: Originally posted by JJay  
I think Argent Scientific might carry those. They're in Australia, not China, but I don't know why you would prefer to order from China. Member adk is the owner I think; if you message him or search the board you can find the email message for their sales department.

If you do go with Argent, contact directly. The website is pretty much a storefront atm and does not give much indication of what,s inside.
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top