Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Question about chemical storage
PeteH
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 2-11-2014 at 18:26
Question about chemical storage

Hi,
I'm moving house and will be needing to pack up and store my chemicals (along with household contents) for approximately 6 months. They're predominately raw powdered chems all for photographic developing. (Obviously they're all in sealed bottles or containers which I've boxed up (plastic storage tubs mostly).
My intention was to store all of this, along with my household stuff, via shipping container storage. The container would then be sealed and stored in a port of some sort.
I figured this would be ok but thought I'd check with more knowledgeable folk on this forum first.
Cheers
HgDinis25
Hazard to Others

Mood: Who drank my mercury?

[*] posted on 2-11-2014 at 18:46

It would be helpful to know wich chemicals are you talking about.
Some quick tips, anyway:

1- Don't store hygroscopic reagents inside bottles you don't trust to be completly airproof;
2- Don't store reagents in non apropriate containes, like concentrated strong alkali in glass, organic solvents with plastics, etc;
3- Don't store reagents that may decompose to dangerous producrs over long periods of time, like Chloroform, wich decomposes to phosgene.
4- Remember to protect your glass items (including reagents bottles) very well, transportation may be harsh and you don't want your precious chemicals to get wasted or cause an accident.
diddi
National Hazard

Mood: Fluorescent

[*] posted on 2-11-2014 at 18:50

you could always look up the MSDS for the photo chemicals and check for storage issues there. the worst items to store are acids/oxidants and spontaneously combustibles, then the flammables. so prolly none of yours fit into these categories.
Metacelsus
International Hazard

Mood: Double, double, toil and trouble

[*] posted on 2-11-2014 at 19:30

Chloroform is fine if kept in a cool, dark place with little air in the bottle. If you want to be absolutely sure, add some ethanol to stabilize it. Chloroform doesn't decompose, it is oxidized by air. An example of a compound that does decompose would be hydrogen peroxide (the rate of decomposition is dependent on concentration and temperature). Storing concentrated hydrogen peroxide in a sealed container is a bad idea because oxygen pressure can build up.

As below, so above.

My blog: https://denovo.substack.com
PeteH
Harmless

[*] posted on 2-11-2014 at 21:30

Quote: Originally posted by HgDinis25  
It would be helpful to know wich chemicals are you talking about.

Here's my chemical list:

• 5 x Sodium Sulphite
• 1 x Sodium Sulphite Anhydrous
• 4.5 x Sodium Thiosulphate Hypo
• 1 x Sodium Hydroxide Caustic Soda

• 1 x Gelatine Powder
• 1 x Potassium Sodium (+)- Tartrate
• 1 x Potassium Oxalate
• 1 x Tartaric Acid
• 1 x Ammonium Ferric Citrate brown
• 1 x Hexameta Phosphate (Sodium) Calgon Quadrofos
• 1.5 x Boric Acid
• 2 x Sodium Tetraborate (Borax)
• 2 x Sodium Bromide
• 1 x Sodium Dithionite
• 3 x Potassium Dichromate (Potassium Bichromate)
• 1/4 full x Sodium Tiosulphate A.R.
• 1/5 full x Sodium Carbonate Anhydrous
• 1 x Potassium Bromide
• 1 x Sodium Hydrosulphite (Dithionite)
• 1 x Sodium Metabisulphite
• 1 x Sodium Sulphate
• 2 and 1/3 x CD-4
• 2 x Alum BP
• 1 x Silver Nitrate
• 1 x Potassium Iodide
• 1/2 x Kodak Ballancer Alkali

Liquids:
• 1 x Ammonia Solution
• 1 x Kodak 28% Acetic Acid
• 2 x Ilford IM-1 Indicator Stop Bath
• 1 x Kodak Photo-Flo 600 solution
• 1 x Ferric Chloride Solution 60% w/v
• Ilford Hypam Hardener Concentrated solution
- Bottle Sulfuric Acid
MrHomeScientist
International Hazard

[*] posted on 3-11-2014 at 13:07

Mostly I see nothing to be concerned about, except for the commercial products (CD-4? Photo-Flo?) which you'd need to look up the MSDS to find out what they are made of. Keeping everything in tightly sealed bottles and in the dark is good, but the shipping container will probably get very hot in the summer which might be bad. All of the solids will be fine if well-sealed.

Possibilities I see:
Ammonia Solution (depending on concentration) could build up pressure as it offgasses as it heats up.
Ferric Chloride could hydrolyze to iron hydroxides over time. I've had it happen very often with iron compounds.
Sulfuric Acid (depending on concentration) could pose problems if not stored in a glass container.
PeteH
Harmless

[*] posted on 3-11-2014 at 13:27

Thanks everyone for the responses.
Will try and find alternative storage for the chems you mention MrHomeScientist so they're not left in the Aussie heat.

Cheers
AJKOER
Radically Dubious

[*] posted on 7-11-2014 at 15:28

I would seriously consider selling, giving away and even just throwout most of your liquids and any problematic solids.

Just too likely to break and inappropriately cause significant big problems (for the likes of an inexpensive bottle of ammonia?) not just resulting in property damage, but potentially significant liability issues as well (and, I am not even assuming the worse, namely any potential criminal prosecution resulting from failure on your part or your agents to disclose, properly transport or store, legally possess, violation of fire codes, or whatever).

And, to top it off, if you were so unlucky, I am not clear if any of the usual insurance coverage you may have would even be applicable (being in violation of law, could be cause for exclusion).

[Edited on 8-11-2014 by AJKOER]

Go To Top