Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: the end of Red Devil Lye
guy
National Hazard

Mood: Catalytic!

[*] posted on 24-5-2006 at 20:50

Hey. I don't know what this Red Devil Lye ban is about. I live in California and I can find this stuff in hardware stores such as Ace Hardware and grocery stores like Vons. It costs about $5.

12AX7
Post Harlot

Mood: informative

[*] posted on 25-5-2006 at 05:30

Last time I checked, Ace still had some, but there wasn't much on shelf, either. Probably remaining stock... get it while you can.

Tim

Seven Transistor Labs LLC http://seventransistorlabs.com/
Electronic Design, from Concept to Layout.
Need engineering assistance? Drop me a message!
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
UniversalSolvent
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 2-6-2006 at 16:31

http://www.jancynmfg.com/main_line_&_drain-e-ze.htm

That "Main Line Cleaner" can be found at Home Depot. It's 100% NaOH according to the database of household chemicals, but I'm pretty sure it's liquid. Never used Red Devil, but it looks solid.
Swany
Hazard to Others

Mood: Sanguine

[*] posted on 2-6-2006 at 17:40

Feels solid, and is solid, as well. Small white prills.

My hardware stores are officially out of Red Devil. :(

UniversalSolvent
Harmless

[*] posted on 2-6-2006 at 18:47

Quote:
Originally posted by Swany
Feels solid, and is solid, as well. Small white prills.

My hardware stores are officially out of Red Devil. :(
I missed out...:( I might drop by an Ace tomorrow and horde what I can... Is Roebic any good? I know it's more expensive, but I want to be ready in case I find that Red Devil is no longer on the local shelves.

[Edited on 3-6-2006 by UniversalSolvent]
Elawr
Hazard to Others

Mood: vitriolic

[*] posted on 4-6-2006 at 21:06

I too am lamenting the demise of Red Devil Lye. About the only thing I use for general purpose cleaning around the house is a solution of 1 tspn NaOH per quart H20 in a spray bottle. Nothing cuts grease any better, even with a solution so dilute that there is little risk of serious eye injury and skin contact is well-tolerated (Although I would not recommend soaking in it for any length of time). I did buy some Zep drain opener from Home Depot recently. I was disappointed to find the product contained some kind of blue crap along with metallic granules I presume to be Al or Zn. Like what used to be in Drain-O to enhance its drain unclogging action.

[Edited on 5-6-2006 by Elawr]
Mumbles
Hazard to Others

Mood: Procrastinating

[*] posted on 8-6-2006 at 12:48

I currently am employed at a hardware store. Frankly, if it wasn't for me getting to browse all the chems and theorise about what I would do with them, I may hang myself. There are other more interesting job opportunities currently being presented, but I don't want to get off on a tangent. There are at least 3 brands of pure lye we carry. We still have red devil, and are still getting stock in. Perhaps the home warehouse just has a large stock of it. I'll have to check on the other two. One is a white bottle that just says "Lye" in big letters. It says it contains 100% lye on the side. I cannot for the life of me remember the name of the manufactur. The other is in a black bottle. It mentions lye no where on the bottle besides in the little warning text. It does have the traditional bottle style though. Round body, about 4" tall, safety screw cap.
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
mrjeffy321
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 11-6-2006 at 20:55

Quote:
Originally posted by Mumbles
I currently am employed at a hardware store.
We still have red devil, and are still getting stock in. Perhaps the home warehouse just has a large stock of it.

Really? You still get stock (and re stock) Red Devil lye...ya, you must have a warehouse full of it back at "head quarters" somewhere I suppose since it is confirmed they are not making it any more.
Where do you work (name of store), anywhere we might know?
mericad193724
Hazard to Others

Mood: why do you care?

[*] posted on 13-6-2006 at 12:46

my local hardware store stopped selling RDL, I got the last bottle. They did get some other replacement product instead of it, also in crystal form called something like 100% Pure Dain Opener Lye. It costs about 3.99 for about 3/4 of the amount in the Red Devil Lye bottle. Whatever, its good enough for me. Also, My hardware store ran out of Sulfuric acid drain opener, any other products that have it, or good brand names I should look into? Thanks.

Mericad.
kazaa81
Hazard to Others

Mood: ok

[*] posted on 15-6-2006 at 00:35

that's bad...NaOH is a very useful chemical, as HCl and H2SO4.
About soapmakers: I think that they can use the "old" method, that involved yes fats but, instead of NaOH/KOH, just ash.
Not sure about how good is this...
triphenylphosphineoxide
Harmless

[*] posted on 15-6-2006 at 18:45

The old method of soap making using ash works reasonably well.
However it is slower, as -CO3 is a much weaker base than -OH.
And cleaning the ash in the first place is a pain, but not as horrible as trying to wash contaiminants from soap; a process that makes a mockery of the whole idea of soap
Regarding RDL keep your eyes open some other manufacturere will probably try to fill the void.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top