Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Thiolenes in Toluene
greenyppols
Hazard to Self

Mood: Who's been messin' with my moods?

[*] posted on 16-9-2005 at 14:19
Thiolenes in Toluene

Hi.

Reading Vogels' and I stirred 100ml H2SO4 in 1 liter of toluene for 30 minutes (3x per the book) to remove the thiolenes that I read will inhibit formation of benzaldehyde in a MAA oxidation cell.

The toluene went cloudy..is it water from the drain cleaner? I probably should have dryed it with CaCL2 or MgSO4 FIRST before I washed it with acid, Im thinking?

Vogels' also says to use aluminium chloride and then to follow the Benzene purification procedure...I do not have any..
...so can I dry toluene the same way I'm drying acetone by letting CaCL2 sit in a bottle of it, and then distill the toluene from CaCL2 after it sits in it a few days??
greenyppols
Hazard to Self

Mood: Who's been messin' with my moods?

[*] posted on 21-9-2005 at 12:34

Someone's reading this stuff, even if yer not answering. lol. So...

After washing toluene to remove thiolenes, I distilled it today. Out of 950ml of toluene I recovered 850..I collected the first 50ml and dumped it, to remove the water azeotrope (should I have done more? I read this somewhere in a thread) and collected the next 850ml and left 50ml in the flask..it was wierd colored, looked kinda purplish cloudy? Would this be the rust inhibitor from the commercial can? Or the remnants of the thiolenes? Or just some nasty junk? I've noticed the toluene is WAY way better looking in the bottle...

any thoughts? or comments? Hell..flame me even.

Go To Top