Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Salts of 2,4,6 TNP and 2,4 DNP: solubility
Polverone
Now celebrating 21 years of madness

Mood: Waiting for spring

[*] posted on 14-2-2003 at 19:35
Salts of 2,4,6 TNP and 2,4 DNP: solubility

I am seeking solubility information regarding salts of 2,4,6 trinitrophenol and 2,4 dinitrophenol. I've started with aspirin, sulfonated and nitrated to obtain what I hope is mostly TNP, but its dark color has led me to believe that it may contain lower nitrated products. Slow evaporation of a methanol solution produced clusters of plates and needles - distinct in appearance. Now I am trying to prepare ammonium salts from it and I am experiencing fairly low solubility, contrary to my expectations.

Anyway, solubility information on these salts would be very welcome. I want to have relatively pure TNP on hand because I want to use it to form salts with alkaloids, not for making explosions. And it would also be interesting if I could separate relatively pure 2,4 DNP or its salts, though I would not consume them.
Polverone
Now celebrating 21 years of madness

Mood: Waiting for spring

[*] posted on 15-2-2003 at 10:48
thanks!

It looks like I can separate the two - assuming that both are present - by crystallization from chloroform. Now if only I hadn't impulsively decided to convert the whole mess to its ammonium salts :P. I can still recover the original materials, it'll just take a little more time.

Yes, I removed the binders. I followed ALENGOSVIG1's (sp?) instructions this time because I really didn't want to use the huge quantity of sulfuric acid specified in other methods I've seen. My product looks almost identical to his. The one thing that has worried me is that the one time that I previously made TNP, with the huge quantity of H2SO4, I got a nice bright yellow product, and this time I have sort of an orange/brown tinge to the yellow. But conversation with others reveals that lower nitrated products would actually be lighter in appearance.

Go To Top