Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: CVD diamond applications
zoomer
Hazard to Self

Mood: Always Curious

[*] posted on 5-11-2005 at 17:05
CVD diamond applications

(The last thread on CVD diamonds ["Diamonds in the microwave?"] wound up as a discussion of audio dynamics and other things, so I wasn't sure where this should go, please recombine with the earlier thread if appropriate.)

The original thread question asked if can you make diamond coatings in your microwave. I am positive I saw that written about some years ago (you could, but it's easier with a welding torch), but darned if I can find it now. Maybe it's covered in one of the patents that IrC listed in the orginal thread.
I did find this article that mentions some interesting uses in semiconductor design and bio-molecule sensing, as well as mentioning the microwave angle, but this section also caught my eye, as the subject of durable electrodes has come up often on this forum:
Quote:
And because semi-conducting diamond can generate a wider range of potentials than other electrode materials, electrodes made of this material can be used to study redox reactions that can't be studied with conventional electrodes...

See: Chemical & Engineering News
http://pubs.acs.org/cen/coverstory/8205/8205diamonds.html

The discussion of the CVD process starts about 1/4 of the way down the article.

By the way, you can grow large, high quality gems with the CVD process, too. It's creating a lot of concern within the diamond monopoly.

FWIW

Z
IrC
International Hazard

Mood: Discovering

[*] posted on 12-11-2005 at 17:03

I like the heat sink insulator that diamond can be used for, better than any other substance known. I also would like to see some big lenses for high power lasers.
Texium
Administrator
Thread Moved
19-11-2023 at 10:50

Go To Top