Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  23    25    27  28
Author: Subject: Tour My Lab
NedsHead
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 7-12-2017 at 02:26

Looks great j_sum1, are you building the fume cupboard from scratch too?
j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 7-12-2017 at 02:31

Quote: Originally posted by NedsHead  
Looks great j_sum1, are you building the fume cupboard from scratch too?

Yup. It won't be too technical. Just a bathroom extractor fan venting through pvc pipe to above roof height. It will be 1200 wide and about 700 deep. For a sash I will be using a piece of toughened glass from a pool fence. It will be a bit heavy but unbreakable. I intend to put perspex windows in the sides for video work.
MrHomeScientist
International Hazard

[*] posted on 7-12-2017 at 14:59

Nice! Are you cutting a hole in your roof for the pipe, or how is that exiting your space?
j_sum1
Administrator

[*] posted on 7-12-2017 at 15:09

The lab is under the house which is on piles. There is laced brick structure that lets air through for the side walls. (See pic above.) Between two bay windows on the house the brick wall goes straight. This means that the duct from the hood can go straight up the side of the house between the windows. It will look just like a downpipe.
j_sum1
Administrator

[*] posted on 20-12-2017 at 15:47

Ok. It has happened! I am now ready to show off!

Seriously though, this has been a long project squeezed into a schedule that has not really allowed for time-consuming construction of this kind. I'll be away over Christmas and so won't actually get to do anything in there for a week or so. But then....

Also, this may as well be the launch of my YT channel. Realistically it is likely to be pretty sparse until I get a camera and tripod. There is ony so much jerky phone footage that people will tolerate. But at least I can say that is up and running too.

Enjoy.

https://youtu.be/SgA-HDk8hC4
Magpie
lab constructor

Mood: Chemistry: the subtle science.

[*] posted on 20-12-2017 at 16:13

I want to be the first to tell you what a wonderful job you did, and I see now why it took so long. You started from gnarly bare earth!

You've got more stuff than I do. I don't have a refrigerator or a dishwasher.

That brick work is interesting and must be nice for ventilation in the summer. Are insects a problem, or is it screened?

Your vent stack opening is above your roof, right?

[Edited on 21-12-2017 by Magpie]

The single most important condition for a successful synthesis is good mixing - Nicodem
Vosoryx
Hazard to Others

Mood: Serial Apple Enjoyer

[*] posted on 20-12-2017 at 16:23

I enjoyed seeing your previous posts while you were building it, i'm glad to see the finished product.
I must ask though - isn't having the sink so far away annoying? For what you can't wash in the dishwasher, such as anything with a persistent residue, how will you clean that out? It seems like a pain in the ass to have to do it all in a bucket.
How lucky you are where you live to be able to have a lab with an uninsulated wall. It's a cold winter here in Canada right now...

I hope you can get some more videos out sometime.
j_sum1
Administrator

[*] posted on 20-12-2017 at 17:47

@magpie. Yeah, insects and other wildlife can be a problem. Mostly cockroaches at this time of year. But I have a blue tongue lizard that has taken up residence in a large bag of scrap copper wire that I have. He will eat a lot of the roaches.
The plan is to chimney the fume hood above the roof line. If the volume flow rate is insufficient I will put an extra fan inline.

@Vosoryx. I thought long and hard about the sink and fume cupboard placement. I think it is going to be ok. I need to boil water for washing anyway and so am resigned to working from a bucket for cleaning those stubborn flasks. At this location I get access to water but I don't sacrifice usable working space. I also get a little triangle space right in the far corner of the bench where I can put buckets of condenser water. I will have a hose fitting leading directly into the fumehood so I don't have hoses all over the place. I forgot to mention in the video that the sink is piped to a rainwater tank directly on the opposite side of the brick wall. So no chlorination and reasonably pure.
CharlieA
National Hazard

[*] posted on 20-12-2017 at 18:19

Great job! You should be very proud of your work. I agree with you about the jiggly cell phone, but a ringstand and 3-finger clamp might be a temporary work-around.
Seeing your great lab makes me wish I had started mine about 30 years ago when I would have had more time to enjoy it.
I'm looking forward to more videos, but doing chemistry will be more fun than making videos (I think; just my personal opinion).
Merry Christmas!
CharlieA
(I know that is politically incorrect, but I'm old enough not to care!)
Magpie
lab constructor

[*] posted on 20-12-2017 at 19:00

You can buy hot water heaters that heat the water right at the point of use. The ones I've seen are electric but I think gas types are available also.

If drainage from the sink is not available I would get a sump pump.

I like your biological control for the roaches. I've never lived anywhere with roaches. I have a very low tolerance for those.

My main problem is cold winters. I need to get a bigger heater to add to what I now have (2000w). I would insulate the ceiling if I didn't have it filled with household junk.

The single most important condition for a successful synthesis is good mixing - Nicodem
FlaskBreaker
Harmless

Mood: Convoluted

[*] posted on 2-1-2018 at 09:39

I'm jealous of all of these labs. Mine is slowly growing, but I can still get some chemistry done. Sadly I don't have a fume hood yet, so I have to take my "Exciting" experiments outside. As far as equipment goes, I still have a ring stand with clamps and iron rings, a few beakers, a few flasks, a few wash bottles with my most-used solvents, test tubes, grad cylinders, heat sources, and distillation equipment.
Radium212
Hazard to Self

Mood: Pyrophoric.

[*] posted on 2-1-2018 at 12:57

My lab is weird because I do amateur physics as well as chemistry, so there's a mixture of physics and chemistry equipment.
Texium
Administrator

Mood: PhD candidate!

[*] posted on 18-3-2018 at 19:10

Well, here it is, the third incarnation of my lab, now complete with a Rotovap and a home made fume hood!

https://texium.wordpress.com/2018/03/18/texium-labs-3-0-reve...

Come check out the Official Sciencemadness Wiki
They're not really active right now, but here's my YouTube channel and my blog.
Magpie
lab constructor

[*] posted on 18-3-2018 at 19:39

Very nice lab. Your bench is beautiful - it looks like it has an epoxy top?

I have no switches or outlets inside my hood. They are OK as long as the hood fan is on, I guess.

Did Sauron die?

Ubya
International Hazard

Mood: I'm a maddo scientisto!!!

[*] posted on 19-3-2018 at 01:36

Quote: Originally posted by Texium (zts16)  
Well, here it is, the third incarnation of my lab, now complete with a Rotovap and a home made fume hood!

https://texium.wordpress.com/2018/03/18/texium-labs-3-0-reve...

well i bow to you sir, really nice lab *jealousy intensifies*

---------------------------------------------------------------------
feel free to correct my grammar, or any mistakes i make
---------------------------------------------------------------------
j_sum1
Administrator

[*] posted on 19-3-2018 at 01:43

I think I am more jealous of the fume hood than the rotovap. But that might be because I have never used a rotovap.
This looks awesome, Texium. Well done. I'm sure you will get lots of interesting things done in there

Texium
Administrator

Mood: PhD candidate!

[*] posted on 19-3-2018 at 07:46

Thanks guys!

@Magpie: Yep, it has an epoxy top. I got it at a resale store for $50. Apparently it came out of a lab in a military base in San Antonio. They clearly were unaware of its true value. Not sure about Sauron. He already ceased posting before my time, but it looked like he was downsizing his lab equipment a lot during his last couple years here.

@j_sum1: A Rotovap is one of those things that you think seems like it would be a nice luxury until you actually use one... Then you can't live without it. So I recommend never using one ;)

Come check out the Official Sciencemadness Wiki
They're not really active right now, but here's my YouTube channel and my blog.
XeonTheMGPony
International Hazard

[*] posted on 25-3-2018 at 05:05

well an update, Vac chamber mounted but not hooked up, lab frame been doing great, making a fume hood and sink is stuck till more time and money come in.

But it is coming along, my supplies are building up nicely though! Need to make a better extractor though I want to make a bunch of Bromine and ampule it in 10ml aliquots, Along with some SO3.
XeonTheMGPony
International Hazard

[*] posted on 16-4-2018 at 04:08

Now that what ever glitch had made me have to use a proxy and such is fixed:

I think I can say my lab is becoming well stocked! Still waiting on hard ware and to make a better fume hood, to that effect some dedicated dehumidifiers sacrificed them selfs for parts!

P5140009.JPG - 1.5MBP5140010.JPG - 1.4MBP5140011.JPG - 1.5MBP5140012.JPG - 1.4MB
XeonTheMGPony
International Hazard

[*] posted on 16-4-2018 at 04:15

Second part (Don't want to get blocked again, this is where it happened, one pic too many then BANG VERBOTEN!)

The one on the counter is halon, it kills every thing! Including the fire! the second is a BC class (Specific to liquid fuel type fires)

I since installed the under counter light. Need to get a metal cabinet for the oxidizers, get the sprinkler system installed in the room and so on.

Need to make a rack for the glass wear as well.

P5140013.JPG - 1.5MB P5140014.JPG - 1.5MB P5140015.JPG - 1.4MB P5140016.JPG - 749kB P5140017.JPG - 427kB

[Edited on 16-4-2018 by XeonTheMGPony]
j_sum1
Administrator

[*] posted on 16-4-2018 at 19:18

Thanks for that, Xeon. Nice to see your work area.

It always seems to me that workable bench space and storage space are always the most difficult things to organise. No matter how much you have you always feel like you could use some more.

LaBoom
Harmless

[*] posted on 10-5-2018 at 10:57

these ideas are great. thanks to everyone for posting. I do have one relevant question though, where is recommended to build a lab?

I have an unfinished basement that I have access to an unused dryer vent(which would be great to set up a ventilation hood to connect to), but my furnace that heats my house is within 10 ft of it. it is a natural gas furnace. is this considered a hazard being too close to setting up a lab in the proximity? I have considered building a partition wall in between my furnace area and where my lab area would be, but do not know if this would be any help(don't fumes float through crevices anyways?).

my other options would be in my garage, where it is insulated and can be heated but again, it is a propane heated(open flame) area, or my garden shed which is non-heated and wouldn't be able to work over the winter.

any ideas are greatly appreciated.
MrHomeScientist
International Hazard

[*] posted on 10-5-2018 at 13:09

Well once you get the fume hood running, theoretically you won't need to worry about being near a flame source.

BUT if your hood fails when distilling something flammable, bad times will follow. That sounds like a great place to set up, but you may want to avoid overly flammable volatile solvents like ether. Other aqueous chemistry will be no problem. Depends on what you want to do.

The garage is about the same, but lacks the nice fume hood hookup. The shed is very nice because it's a separate structure from your house. Chemicals generally handle cold weather fine, just make sure it doesn't get too hot in the summer. Also make sure you don't break bottles by freezing solutions!
LaBoom
Harmless

[*] posted on 10-5-2018 at 19:28

Quote: Originally posted by MrHomeScientist  
Well once you get the fume hood running, theoretically you won't need to worry about being near a flame source.

tyvm. I was considering putting dual ventilation fans powered separately on the fume hood exactly for that purpose. both would have to be equal in cfm, and strong enough to serve the necessary cu ft individually. it would be easy to put in a "Y" joiner before they reached the outside exhaust port.
MöbiusMan
Harmless

Mood: studious

[*] posted on 13-7-2018 at 04:05

Fumehoods are expensive.

If chemistry was easy it would be called biology.
 Pages:  1  ..  23    25    27  28

Go To Top